The "Ideal" LR Hunting Reticle?

Litehiker

I think I have discovered the main requirements for a good LR hunting reticle.
(DISCLAIMER: I want mil/mil in an FFP scope)

1. Ease of use-> not too many subtentions (hash marks) An example of that type of reticle is NF's "Mil-C" reticle. Way too busy.
2. Ranging capability-> If your rangefinder goes tits up you need to use the reticle for ranging. Therefore it must have hash marks in mil radian or MOA.
3. Illumination-> Never thought I'd want this feature... until I tried it against a dark background
4. Xmas tree reticle-> After competing with an H59 reticle I'm sold on its speed and accuracy, especially for follow-up shots and wind holds. Try 'holding in space' without this reticle. You'd be forced to dial and that takes time.

Regarding Xmas tree reticles: A very few on this site have said, "Holding with a Xmas tree reticle gets you off the scope's 'optical center' and that can create distortion." NOPE! If you dial the hold you are still "off the optical center". Good scopes will have no distortion either way.

So with all of these requirements (and my budget) I bought a Bushnell LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 scope with an illuminated G3 reticle. Yeah, long at 14 inches but it ticks off all other boxes for LR hunting in a relatively light rig of a 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro. I used Talley rings with a bubble level in the rear ring.

Had I another $800. to spare the NF NX8 with the Mil XT reticle would have been my choice. IT may be the very best LR scope now available when ruggedness is considered along with the quality.

Eric B.

Regarding Xmas tree reticles: A very few on this site have said, "Holding with a Xmas tree reticle gets you off the scope's 'optical center' and that can create distortion." NOPE! If you dial the hold you are still "off the optical center". Good scopes will have no distortion either way.

Believe one of the advantages of using a 20 MOA or so rail is that it allows the reticle to be closer to the center of the optical center of the scope during longer shots where it counts.
That said, I have been looking hard at Christmas tree reticles lately. Might get one this year. Can definitely see the advantage on follow up shots, if you were able to spot your miss.

Last edited:
I like Christmas trees. There's a way with the Horus specific reticles to calibrate your wind dot holds.

In general since wind is always changing, I find using the wind reticle to allow to balance a wind hold when pattering the wind, with either you choose to use your high gust, average or adding/subtracting your total wind, it's a faster reference. Unfortunately at extreme range, it's not very useful, to me anyways once you reach the 20+ mil range where you'll have to dial elevation one way or another.

Personally I would like to see both focal planes used.

Imagine, if you will, German #4 posts in the second plane,

Then in the first plane, hashed mil with open center or open center and a .1 mil dot

Wouldn't that be somethin'?

I like a normal target duplex. I can dial everything and nothing gets in the way. Did a custom mark 4 with a thin duplex. Love it.

Believe one of the advantages of using a 20 MOA or so rail is that it allows the reticle to be closer to the center of the optical center of the scope during longer shots where it counts.

Yep!

20 MOA.jpg

I worked with just about all of the various concoctions for both PRS as well LR hunting. After all is said and done, whether FFP or SFP, for MOA or MILS, my personal favorites are the Nightforce MOAR and MIL-R, and the comparably designed S&B P4F design in MOA or MILS. Simple, uncluttered, and gets the job done. IMO.

Personal for a tree reticle the minox mr4 is my fav but it's mil. For non tree, it's the leupold pr1-moa reticle. I have a 5-25x56 mk5hd with the pr1-moa and love if. Also have a 3.6-18x44 with pr1-moa but it's way thicker lines in the smaller scope, which is backwards of what you'd think, curious if it's because it's the illuminated version.

Attachments

• minox_mr4_with_label_web.jpg
    minox_mr4_with_label_web.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 260
  • Screenshot_20191226-120202.jpg
    Screenshot_20191226-120202.jpg
    527.2 KB · Views: 189
Have to compliment the post author and responses. This is exactly what I have been considering and am still struggling with. I am definitely following this thread

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts