G3 - My "ideal" LR hunting reticle

Litehiker

DISCLAIMER: I shoot competitively with an H59 large Christmas tree reticle. I like it and very seldom dial.

I have a Bushnell Elite LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 scope on my 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro hunting rifle. I chose the G3 "small Xmas tree" reticle that still gives me the ability to hold over and hold windage on the reticle. Mine is also illuminated, something I didn't know I needed until I tried it. (Sorta like beer.;o)

Without this "Christmas tree" reticle windage holds are mere guesses "out in space", the space beyond a traditional crosshair style reticle. Even worse than traditional crosshair reticles with dots or hash marks are the older "Duplex" reticles with no calibrated reference points for hold. They are good for shooting to 300 yards max with some flatter shooting cartridges with a 200 yard zero and a "minute of deer" point blank circle.

Yeah, Burris' Eliminator rangefinding scopes with illuminated hold over dots are great - if you like those rather large scopes and their approximate holds. Look for next gen scopes to incorporate recent military "fire control systems" (i.e. smart scopes with laser rangefinders and wind and temperature sensors and angle compensation slaved to lighted reticle hold displays).

When that high-tech day arrives in hunting scopes we can all reminisce about Christmas tree reticles and our (remembered) amazing abilities to maintain the correct hold with our "analog" reticles in days of yore. Yep, it's the "The older I get the better I was." syndrome.

Eric B.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.