the best long range varmint caliber

I guess the real question is, how many of the shots are going to be at 1000 yds? If most of the realistic shooting is going to be at shorter range, then a regular old 243 would be a great choice. Without all the case forming, money eating, brass crap work. A nicely built 243 would work excellent out to 7 or 800 even in slightly poor conditions, and on good days, would be a real hoot at 1000 or perhaps farther. A 22-250 will easily handle 600 and give 40% kills on a rodent. Even out of a factory gun. Boyd borrowed and shot my Swift, one time, one shot at 505 or something like that. Dead woodchuck. In poor conditions. Off a tripod. Well, that's not all the gun will do and that was a factory remington with 55 gr bullets. 1:14 twist, that's all I can use. So grab a 6mm-something and head out varmint-in.

At williamsport, last years 6match grp agg winner shot a 6mm and he didn't make it to all the matches. Several others shoot 6's, Chuck Shalansky shot a BR and did great in some terrible conditions that I remember. Not saying you should build one for 1KBR use, but, I wouldn't be afraid to shoot at a critter with one.

Do yourself a favor and stick with the standard case. You'll thank yourself later. (I know from experience. I'm stuck with the one I chose)

4mesh is correct.

The straight 243 can be a dandy especially with an 8 twist barrel and 107 gr Bullets.

I have a 30" barreled 243 with a Mcmillen Tooley stock that shoots quite well out to 1100 yards.

Ask Jody (Bald eagle) he has shot it and wanted to buy it on the spot.

Later
DC
smile.gif

Crow Mag

The 6BR is a good cartridge but, for the original posters needs and wants and in different wind conditions---- the 243 having a bit more boiler room capacity and producing more velocity, I believe I would go with the 243 more so then the 6BR.
Real good brass is a vailable for the 243 also.

The 243 will shoot the 105 and 107 gr bullets equally well.

Later
DC
smile.gif

Hi, and thanks for the reply in advance.
Any one have any good info on a 6.5 WSM? It would probably be great for the original posters intended use. I am very curious myself.

Thanks

Hmmm, good info on a 6.5WSM. No, I have info on one though. I built one. When it was finished I would have said it was the best built gun in the history of the world. The first 4 5shot groups at 425yds were and inch or less. At 1K, it shot 20" the first time out, then the next, then the next, then the next. The last time I don't know how big it shot but the 4 that hit the target measured about 3-1/2 feet, the other 6 who knows. The same story was given by another person who built a VERY good 6.5SM that also shot for 1 day, then went to hell. I'm not sold on the combo. Perhaps we both got bad barrels, both barrels were sent back for replacement, but, At least in part I'd say it's just too much case for a 264. Without going into a bunch of detail, I just don't feel it's a good choice. That's why peopele build 6.5/284's. It's a better combo. More isn't better. (like I didn't already know that).

It's just too hard to make a fast gun shoot well. Ask Darryl how hard it is to get a 416/??? to shoot really well, and consistant. It's work. It's not for someone who's faint of heart. I put 400 rnds through my 6.5 and it just kept getting worse. It's last "group"/Pattern at 425 was about 8". I've never owned anything that shot that bad. I've never even heard of a BR gun that shot that bad. My 30 shot smaller than that for 10 shots today at 1000. But, it's a little baby 30 cal. Not a 30/378.

I was considering having a 6.5 SAUM built if/when I shoot the barrel out of the 7mm SAUM. Nice sized case, a bit smaller than the WSM. I am really getting to like the 7mm SAUM although I wish I could get the velocity up a bit more. It only has a 24 inch tube on it, maybe just a bit longer barrel would do the trick.

Haven't heard of anyone building a 6.5 SAUM yet though.

Doug

4mesh (Phil)

My 338/416 has shot a ten shot 7" group at Williamsport and has killed elk at 2100 yards with many other elk and deer along the way.

Vern witnessed a 2500 "ALMOST" hit on a wood chuck with that same rifle several years ago.

It wasen't to hard to get that one to shoot well at all. Never had a problem with that rifle.

As for me and using the big stuff, the 338/416 Rigby Imp is as fine a cartridge as any longrange hunter could ever want, but certainly not a P-Dog rifle.

Later
DC
smile.gif

[ 11-03-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Thanks 4mesh,

What length and twist barrel did you use? I was leaning toward 1:8 twist, 30". Thinking about using 140's.

Very interesting to say the least..

[ 11-03-2003: Message edited by: Agunner012 ]

[ 11-04-2003: Message edited by: Agunner012 ]

GS300,

I haven't used them sence I set the record for Varmint Hunter Magazine in 1993. Jimmy Knox builds them he's a great guy to work with. I have sence then lost contact with him but I sure need to look him up because he's making very nice 30 cal. bullet now I hear.

If I can find his phone number I will let you know.

By the way that record was 1770 yds and they repeated very nice.

Good luck, Vern

Agunner,

My barrel was a 30" to start, then a 29" then a 28", Now, it's a 27" that was sent back and with any luck, I'll never see it again. 9 Twist. Something was wrong with it because with just 1 shot, it filled up with copper and got hotter than any barrel I ever saw before. I couldn't clean it to save my life. I figured it was just a bad piece of steel. Oh well. It's history now.

I still think the 6.5 WSM could be a good round, just, that one put a bad feeling in my gut for the round. If it had EVER shown promise at 1000, I'd probably have persued it. But, it just sucked. It's now a 30 Cal. Regular 300 WSM. This barrel looks nicer already and I've only got 9 shots through it.

Darryl, I was refering to another big gun you had recently that as I remember, was a problem child. When you get right down to it, the 338/416 is probably no more overbore than a 7/300Wby. You have a lot of barrel on the 338 also. I think you could agree that for the most part, a big gun is harder to get to shoot than a small one. Ie, 300RUM or 243Win. Then, the farther away you want it to shoot, the harder it becomes yet.

Tom in CA,

Don't forget, if your criteria is "Prarie Dog Gun", you need something that brass is real cheap for, and something that doesn't need a ton of brass work to shoot because 2000 rds in a week PD hunting is not out of the question.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.