The 450 Bushmaster Hammer

Mine carries a 24" barrel which helps. I can push it faster but for the best accuracy, thats where I'm at. It's 200-250 fps faster than the 450BM easily with same length barrel. It's a higher pressure cartridge than the 450BM allowing for the extra performance.
I was thinking of a 20 inch barrel, threaded for a muzzle brake. I am not certain about the increase of muzzle velocity between the 20 inch and the 24 inch barrel. From what I have read it is like 25-50 fps per inch???? The Gunsite Scout in 450 Bushmaster with its 16 inch was pushing the Hammer, 221 gr Sledge Hammer at 2400 fps.

I was thinking of a 20 inch barrel, threaded for a muzzle brake. I am not certain about the increase of muzzle velocity between the 20 inch and the 24 inch barrel. From what I have read it is like 25-50 fps per inch???? The Gunsite Scout in 450 Bushmaster with its 16 inch was pushing the Hammer, 221 gr Sledge Hammer at 2400 fps.
Shouldn't be a big deal. I just wanted a wider range of velocity for accuracy. Rarely are my shots past 300 but I've had some close to 500. The extra velocity/energy could benefit me in that case.

Shouldn't be a big deal. I just wanted a wider range of velocity for accuracy. Rarely are my shots past 300 but I've had some close to 500. The extra velocity/energy could benefit me in that case.
I black bear hunt over bait. This rifle will basically be used for 40-60 yard shots. I would like 100-200 yard capabilities, and...I think we're hijacking this thread. Hopefully this build will go together without and feeding issues. Thank you again for your replies. I intend to try the Hammer 221 gr Sledge Hammers when this rifle gets put together.

I black bear hunt over bait. This rifle will basically be used for 40-60 yard shots. I would like 100-200 yard capabilities, and...I think we're hijacking this thread. Hopefully this build will go together without and feeding issues. Thank you again for your replies. I intend to try the Hammer 221 gr Sledge Hammers when this rifle gets put together.
The 450BM is a great option for your needs also. Could be the easy button in the end. OTC ammo is the best part

Large, heavy, and slow has been a successful tactic since the beginning of firearms. That being said regardless the cut-off for reliable expansion I'm one to leave a margin of error. The CE bullet is designed specifically for the 450 BM.
I know I'm late to this party but recently got my dies for my 450 I've had for years. First I have run the cutting edge in my socom for years. Will they kill at 1300 sure. Is it expanding well not really. You are really hoping the 450 hole does the work.

I killed two deer at 300 yards with my 350 legend. Thought cool these work well. Then I was able to catch them in water jugs. Turns out they were killing deer but I bet I could have loaded them again and shot them no deformation at. Pretty typical in my experience for subs also. Unless you hit bone which is risky in its own right. I have and still shoot both hammer and cutting edge and I think if I had to choose one the hammer copper is softer by a wide margin so I'm sure it would be better. But the ceb has a better bc to maintain a bit more speed. Maybe that extends the range but you are asking a lot of that big Pumkin.

Well, there is theory and then there is reality. So far it has killed without fail up to and including elk. I don't know what else to say.

Well, there is theory and then there is reality. So far it has killed without fail up to and including elk. I don't know what else to say.
You don't have to say anything. Wow you have a small sample size of dead animals. Yes they will kill that's not what I was talking about it was the 1300 min. As stated I've killed a few below min but they don't open as Steve was saying which is not ideal. I've got very large sample size of animals with mine. All dead but I can tell you 1300 is not were min should be. I like mine no lower than 1600. This is form animals and testing not theory. Your theory is well I killed a couple things so it works. Yes it put a 45 hole in it in the right spot. Besides this is was started about hammer if you don't like them fine. I do I also like ceb still buy them. Both are fine but until you test them and can give an experience that helps prove it it matters not. I've found the same basement fps for hammers by the way. In fact it was found by t try ing to prove Steve wrong in the same way. I killed several deer at distance he said isn't ideal. So I got to testing with water and carcasses. He was right they all died for sure but the bullets were not shed like what they considered ideal. Not pealed back like Barnes they need to shed for him to consider it min fps.