The 450 Bushmaster Hammer

@imartin
this has my interest, did you make any headway with load development?
I live in Ohio and restricted to Straight-Wall, slugs or Muzzleloaders,. would like to have a 400 yrd. Straight-Wall rifle
I have not gone any further. Been too busy with food plottin' this summer. I will say tho, Im not sure 450 BM plus this hammer will ever be a 400 yd rifle on paper, I don't see how this bullet, with a bc around .200 g1 could be propelled fast enough from this cartridge. I did a lot of looking around before buying, if you want 400 yards, check out 444 marlin, cva single shot, and cutting edge bullets. I believe that will get you there.

@imartin
this has my interest, did you make any headway with load development?
I live in Ohio and restricted to Straight-Wall, slugs or Muzzleloaders,. would like to have a 400 yrd. Straight-Wall rifle
45 Raptor will get you there. I'm at 2600 fps with 240 Bear creek tipped bullets(BC .265). That's not top speed but it's my accuracy load.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220906-183223.png
    Screenshot_20220906-183223.png
    38 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
FYI -
I took a very large spike elk 30 minutes after shooting light on opening day with my 450 BM recently. I didn't use my CE bullets simply because I didn't have the time to mess with them (elderly dad moved in). The load is 41.3grs H-110 over a Hornady 250 FTX. Rifle is an AR-15 with a 20" bbl. One shot, one step, and a straight legged tip-over.
The jacket was lodged in the liver and the core was found on the far side under the hide. Range was 35 yards thanks to my Hoochie Mama. The lack of a pass through makes think bullet mass is key on large critters even though the results were great. Food for thought.

Anyone get a chance to load and shoot the 221gr Hammers yet? Really thinking about getting a bolt gun in 450 BM and if the Hammers run well that might just push me over the edge.

I've loaded some for an AR, and just picked up a Ruger Gunsite scout rifle; .450 Bushmaster. Haven't had a chance to shoot the scout, hopefully this weekend. The AR is a total match build, tight bore, and as a result we got some high pressure loads. I started the load range about 1 1/2 grains below max, not enough. We bought the Hammers for a black bear hunt , but due to the pressure issue's we didn't use them on the hunt. I'd like to use them on our next hunt, will have to play with them once I get the Gunsite up and running. The attached target is a 30-06 at 100 yards. These I did take hunting, but Yogi wasn't cooperative this last season!!!

Attachments

• 3A918355-6C99-4A52-8104-3025F7A14B9A.jpeg
    3A918355-6C99-4A52-8104-3025F7A14B9A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Got out yesterday. Chrono was giving my fits reading shots so I missed out on most data. However, when it did read, the readings seemed accurate based on expectations and other guns I was shooting. I ran a powder ladder from 40-50 gr of lil gun, 1 shot each, 1 full gr increment increases. This is a much larger increment than I would normally use, but bc pressure was in the 30K's to start I didn't want to blow through $200 worth of bullets to find the velocity I wanted.

All in all really enjoyed shooting my B14 HMR with the SiCo break on it. The mag that bergara sent with my rifle doesn't feed 450 bushmaster and falls out with the higher velocity charges. So will be looking for a new mag.

I did not experience any symptoms related to high pressure. Bolt lift was easy, no extractor marks, primers looked the same from 1 to 10.

Last shot clocked 2855 fps @ 50 grs lil' gun. And landed next to the 49 gr load. This is where I wanted to be, probably will not waste resources exploring much higher. Will load groups up in this range and go from there. 221 gr at 2,850 fps is going to crush anything I hit with it.

Gun has 14 shots on it after 1st trip out. A little early to do load development but wanted to get an idea, do some more shooting this summer, and fine tune in early fall.

Will keep you all posted on my progress if you're interested.

View attachment 369048
Wow!! That's smoking!! I'm using H110 and will have to be up that high also. I was basing it off a Barnes 250gr load so was staring at 36.5 grains but you're thinking I have to be a lot higher for this lighter bullet?
Kurt

Own two CVA Cascades in 450BM Both shoot same load with great accuracy.
MV's are averaging from high 2300's to mid 2400's.
Both wear Crimson Trace Brushline pro's. One a 4-12x40mm other is a 2.5-10x40mm. When I bought both scopes they both cost under $140 TMD. Then I felt they were IMO the best deal in a short range rifle scope available. So I bought several more of each. Unfortunately since then the price of those scopes went up dramatically. Using the only new 450BM brass I could find Starline. Using CCI 450 SR mag primers. Like targets say using Hodgdon Lil Gun powder.
Haven't tested .451" 245 grain the Hornady Interlok bullets yet for expansion. Plan on using water jugs backed up by soaked news print hopefully this year.
Feel for the money for a great all around hunting rifle the CVA Cascade (by Bergara) FOR THE PRICE is an unbeatable bargain.

Attachments

• 20220914_101607.jpg
    20220914_101607.jpg
    519.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220915_112645 (1).jpg
    20220915_112645 (1).jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 20220915_112929 load #4.jpg
    20220915_112929 load #4.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220915_113146RS3.jpg
    20220915_113146RS3.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Ok-- I know they are new-- thoughts on best powder and load start point?
I've wanted to try the 285 tsx for a while-- but 450bm bullets are darn near impossible to find over the past year+ so these might be the ticket .

I have an 18" ar chassis-- any idea of speeds?

Last edited:
Anyone had luck running these in ar platform 450s?
Hammers for my Gunsite Scout that worked just fine in my rifle. My son decided to try a few of my ammunition in his AR. Well the first round fired just fine, the second round was a squibb round. Essentially when the bolt came forward it came forward so hard that when the blot closed, the bullet pulled out only to stop when it hit the rifling. From there the only thing that fired was the primer. His AR is a custom "everything" including a heavy buffer spring. I am using a Lee Factory Crimp die, only for his AR I am using a full turn on the crimp, haven't had a chance to try them yet.

Ok-- I know they are new-- thoughts on best powder and load start point?
I've wanted to try the 285 tsx for a while-- but 450bm bullets are darn near impossible to find over the past year+ so these might be the ticket .

I have an 18" ar chassis-- any idea of speeds?
Here is what I've been using if standard copper cup and lead core bullets are OK with you.

45 Raptor will get you there. I'm at 2600 fps with 240 Bear creek tipped bullets(BC .265). That's not top speed but it's my accuracy load.
I've been trying to find a cartridge that would work in my short-action, Ruger 77 tang safety for quite some time now. I just sold a Ruger, Gunsite Scout in 450 Bushmaster because I did not like the box magazine or...its release. This past season I was sitting in a ground blind when I looked down only to find the magazine sitting in my lap. That's not a good plan!! I was seriously looking at the Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 450 Bushmaster, only to find that it too had a box magazine. While doing some research I found the 45 Raptor to be a viable candidate for this conversion. The Ruger 77 short action is in 22-250, so right bolt face, and essentially the dimensions on the 45 Raptor are quite similar to the .308 Winchester another plus for the conversion. So...now I started looking for a barrel for a bolt rifle, not so easy as one would think. While doing more research I found a barrel company called "X-Caliber" barrel company. And...they make a bolt rifle barrel that usually costs $369 on sale for $295, contoured; button rifling, stressed relieved. So...hopefully there will be a 45 Raptor sitting with me in my ground blind next bear season. Thank you for posting this information on the ballistics.

I've been trying to find a cartridge that would work in my short-action, Ruger 77 tang safety for quite some time now. I just sold a Ruger, Gunsite Scout in 450 Bushmaster because I did not like the box magazine or...its release. This past season I was sitting in a ground blind when I looked down only to find the magazine sitting in my lap. That's not a good plan!! I was seriously looking at the Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 450 Bushmaster, only to find that it too had a box magazine. While doing some research I found the 45 Raptor to be a viable candidate for this conversion. The Ruger 77 short action is in 22-250, so right bolt face, and essentially the dimensions on the 45 Raptor are quite similar to the .308 Winchester another plus for the conversion. So...now I started looking for a barrel for a bolt rifle, not so easy as one would think. While doing more research I found a barrel company called "X-Caliber" barrel company. And...they make a bolt rifle barrel that usually costs $369 on sale for $295, contoured; button rifling, stressed relieved. So...hopefully there will be a 45 Raptor sitting with me in my ground blind next bear season. Thank you for posting this information on the ballistics.
Mine carries a 24" barrel which helps. I can push it faster but for the best accuracy, thats where I'm at. It's 200-250 fps faster than the 450BM easily with same length barrel. It's a higher pressure cartridge than the 450BM allowing for the extra performance.