The 450 Bushmaster Hammer

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
Hammer Bullets is happy to announce the new Shock Hammer designed specifically for the Bushmaster. We have had a ton of request for this one, and time last year just would not let us get it done. Now that we have expanded the shop for 2022, we finally got it done.

If you're gonna put a hole in something, make a hole to be proud of... can't wait to get to the range.
20220427_223042.jpg

20220427_223150.jpg

Ok-- I know they are new-- thoughts on best powder and load start point?
I've wanted to try the 285 tsx for a while-- but 450bm bullets are darn near impossible to find over the past year+ so these might be the ticket .

I have an 18" ar chassis-- any idea of speeds?

I started with lil' gun. Loading a ladder to check pressure. Book data for 225 gr says max load is 42.2 gr @ 2,495 fps and I believe pressure is 36k-39k range at that level. Should work in your AR. For my bolt gun I expect I will be able to run much higher, but will be working up to it and will let my rifle and brass tell me when it's too much.

Please keep me informed-- ill work up also when I order some.

What brass and primers are you starting with?

Oal? I might be limited by my mag length though.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Virgin Starline brass and CCI 450.

Oal is around 2.280" which just covers the last band hammer cuts in. I'm not limited by mag length, just needed to get enough bullet in the case for concentricity and have something for the case to hold onto. Could go longer like 2.300" just to make sure the crimp is in that band but I'm just using the lee crimp to touch the case mouth a bit, like .004.

This 450 bushmaster /straight wall thing is all new to me so I'm learning as I go. Not finding the info I really wanted so I'm going to be the guinea pig. Hopefully I can narrow down what makes a measurable impact on accuracy and performance

Did read some about guys having issues with misfires so trying to make sure I have pretty good case fill and some neck tension/crimp for ignition.

But I have no idea yet. Just working on powder charge / pressure first then may play with no crimp - heavy(er) crimp, seating depth etc.

If I can hold moa to 200 yards I will be happy, but realistically only need 2 moa accuracy for what I'm doing. But I know I won't be settled until I get consistent repeatable results in the 1 moa or less range, just feels good to know exactly where that bullet is going to impact.

Will keep you posted. Might stick some in a sabot and stuff it down my CVA wolf with bh 209 + arrowhead LRP ignition to see what happens, but one gun at a time for right now.

If anyone has words of wisdom, please chime in.

Oal is around 2.280" which just covers the last band hammer cuts in. I'm not limited by mag length, just needed to get enough bullet in the case for concentricity and have something for the case to hold onto. Could go longer like 2.300" just to make sure the crimp is in that band but I'm just using the lee crimp to touch the case mouth a bit, like .004.

This 450 bushmaster /straight wall thing is all new to me so I'm learning as I go. Not finding the info I really wanted so I'm going to be the guinea pig. Hopefully I can narrow down what makes a measurable impact on accuracy and performance

Did read some about guys having issues with misfires so trying to make sure I have pretty good case fill and some neck tension/crimp for ignition.

But I have no idea yet. Just working on powder charge / pressure first then may play with no crimp - heavy(er) crimp, seating depth etc.

If I can hold moa to 200 yards I will be happy, but realistically only need 2 moa accuracy for what I'm doing. But I know I won't be settled until I get consistent repeatable results in the 1 moa or less range, just feels good to know exactly where that bullet is going to impact.

Will keep you posted. Might stick some in a sabot and stuff it down my CVA wolf with bh 209 + arrowhead LRP ignition to see what happens, but one gun at a time for right now.

Would love to see how they do in the wolf!

Thanks 4 the info-- I have a decent load for the 225 ftx in starline brass, I have yet to see if rem, win, or cci primers are best though.

Most guys loading for the BM are using win or rem primers.

I could post numbers/data if you think it might help you but I'll have to look them up at a later time.

I get 1moa from factory 250ftx ammo, bit i got the 225 down to sub moa so far.

I'd love to see some gel testing of these to see at what speeds the pedals come off , minimum speeds for expansion and how deep the penetration of the base is

Thanks 4 the info-- I have a decent load for the 225 ftx in starline brass, I have yet to see if rem, win, or cci primers are best though.

Most guys loading for the BM are using win or rem primers.

I could post numbers/data if you think it might help you but I'll have to look them up at a later time.

I get 1moa from factory 250ftx ammo, bit i got the 225 down to sub moa so far.

I'd love to see some gel testing of these to see at what speeds the pedals come off , minimum speeds for expansion and how deep the penetration of the base is
I only have CCI SRP's 400 and 450. Opted for the 450 for a little extra heat. Just realized CCI 450 for 450 Bushmaster could have been subconscious, lol. Any specific reasons guys prefer win or rem primers? I've always used Fed or CCI for everything, which has been LR and LRM primers to this point.

I'm also messing around with the 250 ftx since they are a fraction of the cost, so will help me familiarize myself with the rifle and cartridge, I hope.

Steve from Hammer noted somewhere else that they recommend 1,800 fps minimum, but stated they haven't tested it below. So lower speeds are not necessarily off the table, but would need to see what it looks like. With a BC of .200 you don't get very far out before dropping below 1800 fps so will see how fast I can safely send them to extend the margins a bit.

The rem and win primers seem to lower the es/sd over the cci 450.

Any updates on your testing?

If you are looking for a cheaper Bullet for practice or hunting-- look into the 225 ftx-- box of 100 rather than 50- almost 1/2 price of the 250ftx.

I'm interested in the mono's though too--- like to see someone do some gel testing for minimum expansion numbers on these-- 1800fps would limit me to around 175-200 y if I get the same speeds as my ftx load

Last edited:
Cutting Edge 250gr mono is supposed to expand down to 1300 fps. I don't have any gel testing to personally verify that. With the 250 FTX's rem 71/2's work well. 450's have done very well in colder weather too.

Typically in the description, but this one can be found in the answered questions. This was under the 250gr not the 300gr.