The 27 Nosler, it's official!

The wsm is a proven cartridge and the 30 nos is simply a longer 300 wsm(very slight dimension differences). More capacity than the prc.
And the prc is simply an elongated 300 rcm which failed miserably........lol who knows what's going to happen? I'm surprised the 30nos isn't more popular. I have mine loaded with 85.8 gr H1000 this pushes 215 hybrids @ 3088 from my 26" 1:9 barrel. It's about a grain under pressure w/ adg brass. My freebore is 225 and neck is couple thou tighter than saami, but it performs very well! It's an honest hammer and is only 90 fps behind my 300 norma improved which is burning N570. Personally I think it's an ideal case for big game.

Anyone else feel like the a 270PRC the 300PRC parent case would be a win?

I had a reamer made for a 270/375 Ruger before the PRC case was released. The project didn't work out and I ended up with a 270/338 RUM improved instead so I never did the 270 PRC. Performance would be identical to the 27 Nosler.

Why? The 27 nosler has a shorter shoulder than the 30N so it's capacity is prob 97-98gr, the prc is 96gr. The length is the same, the 27N has a neck thats 0.328" long, that's why longer than a necked down prc would be. I like 35° over the prc 30°. I don't get everyone's boner for the 300prc. There's nothing special about it the case, the chamber however is geared towards long heavy bullets in fast twist barrels, they did that part right.

The narrower case of the PRC feeds better than the wider RUM/Nosler case does in some actions WITHOUT ANY MODIFICATIONS. The adjustments to feed lips or rails to go from a 7mm Rem Mag to a 30 Nosler are minor and not always necessary, but it's less of an issue with the PRC case. I personally prefer the 375 Ruger case (and all the variations of it) to the Nosler and RUM case. It's not better or worse, just a matter of preference. And I don't buy into the "Hornady brass sucks" blanket statement; I've spent too long working with the 375 Ruger case in a variety of different guns, chamberings and configurations with excellent results to buy into that line.

Carl Bernosky used Hornady Brass to cruise to multiple national championships. They have made high-quality match brass at times. Just not every time. I think the best thing the prc offers over the nosler is the fact it is set up correctly for big bullets right out of the gate. A good smith cures a nosler. It is hard to beat going down to the lgs and buying a rifle you can buy ammo for that will shoot to a mile and copy that load and tweak from there. If you buy a 0 nosler from a store you cannot outperform the prc or load it any hotter than a prc. To do that you need to see a smith or if your lucky you can move the throat out to use big bullets the way they like to be.

Carl Bernosky used Hornady Brass to cruise to multiple national championships. They have made high-quality match brass at times. Just not every time. I think the best thing the prc offers over the nosler is the fact it is set up correctly for big bullets right out of the gate. A good smith cures a nosler. It is hard to beat going down to the lgs and buying a rifle you can buy ammo for that will shoot to a mile and copy that load and tweak from there. If you buy a 0 nosler from a store you cannot outperform the prc or load it any hotter than a prc. To do that you need to see a smith or if your lucky you can move the throat out to use big bullets the way they like to be.
The factory 300 prc ammo might shoot like crap in ur rifle, has for two people I know and these were high end barrels with good smith's on the lathe. So.....you might be phuckered into handloads regardless. Plus who on here who shots out to a mile doesn't roll their own? Let's be serious!

The factory 300 prc ammo might shoot like crap in ur rifle, has for two people I know and these were high end barrels with good smith's on the lathe. So.....you might be phuckered into handloads regardless. Plus who on here who shots out to a mile doesn't roll their own? Let's be serious!
The point was the chamber is set up correctly the Nosler is not. Plenty of military shooters shoot that far with stuff loaded by lake city just saying.

The point was the chamber is set up correctly the Nosler is not. Plenty of military shooters shoot that far with stuff loaded by lake city just saying.
I am not seeing the advantage for the prc that you are. As for freebore, you know it is a very simple procedure that almost anyone can do to change it to where you want it. There will be proponents of each. The 300 prc has .2328" worth of freebore compared to the 30 nosler only having .110". Amazed nosler did that, but again, easily remedied.

I'm still stuck on the 27 Nosler, ya know. 55 years ago first rifle was a 270 Winchester. Nearly all the game I've killed has been done with a 270. Lately I've tried other calibers but I still come back to the 270.

The 27 Nosler interests me because it will do what a number of Wildcats do. Will it outdo the Weatherby? We'll have to wait and see. For me it means I will be able to build a rifle with an OTC chambering that will have pressure tested load data and brass I don't have to fiddle with to shoot in my gun.
There is a predictable barrel life for high capacity cartridges. Over on 6mmbr there's an article with a formula that predicts the cost of each shot. It can be eye opening if you've never looked at it that way.

Being a hunter even 900 rounds is a lifetime barrel.

I'm still stuck on the 27 Nosler, ya know. 55 years ago first rifle was a 270 Winchester. Nearly all the game I've killed has been done with a 270. Lately I've tried other calibers but I still come back to the 270.

The 27 Nosler interests me because it will do what a number of Wildcats do. Will it outdo the Weatherby? We'll have to wait and see. For me it means I will be able to build a rifle with an OTC chambering that will have pressure tested load data and brass I don't have to fiddle with to shoot in my gun.
There is a predictable barrel life for high capacity cartridges. Over on 6mmbr there's an article with a formula that predicts the cost of each shot. It can be eye opening if you've never looked at it that way.

Being a hunter even 900 rounds is a lifetime barrel.
If it won't outrun the 270 bee there's something wrong, it will hold 11-12 grains more powder. Idk what updated saami freebore is, but everyones reamers have zero freebore. I think 120 should be standard for 170 Bergers, should put start boat tail right at btm of neck being 20k off lands.

So far the 28 is the only one that got good traction. The others are still alive but not by much. I guess time will tell on this one.

I read about the Nosler rifles cases were achieving greater velocity over the belted mag. A few hundred per fps greater velocity over the belted mag cases. What I also noted was the test were base on the nosler with a 26" barrel length and the others with a 24" barrel length. That's not a fair test. I have achieved and use a 3300 fps with 165 Nosler SPBT in a 308 Norma Mag in a 26" barrel here several years ago. My friend achieved 3400 fps in his 300 win mag in his Ruger No. 1. With his 338 Win Mag in Ruger Mark 11 77 action in a 24" barrel. We achieved 3220 fps with a 200 Accubond. Presently having a 338 Win Mag built with a 26" barrel with mussel brake. I wonder where I will get to, with the longer barrel?
Nosler does build as good case, but most of my rifles are in belted mag cases. Several of my loads are not using mag primers. Generally Fed 210 primers. They are the coldest primer I know off. Trying to burn the powder over the length of the barrel. Building up chamber pressure a little slower and using the barrel length to achieve what I am after in velocity and grouping. I also understand that larger powder charges need a hotter primer to get the powder burnt in the barrel.

SSS
Mike

I read about the Nosler rifles cases were achieving greater velocity over the belted mag. A few hundred per fps greater velocity over the belted mag cases. What I also noted was the test were base on the nosler with a 26" barrel length and the others with a 24" barrel length. That's not a fair test. I have achieved and use a 3300 fps with 165 Nosler SPBT in a 308 Norma Mag in a 26" barrel here several years ago. My friend achieved 3400 fps in his 300 win mag in his Ruger No. 1. With his 338 Win Mag in Ruger Mark 11 77 action in a 24" barrel. We achieved 3220 fps with a 200 Accubond. Presently having a 338 Win Mag built with a 26" barrel with mussel brake. I wonder where I will get to, with the longer barrel?
Nosler does build as good case, but most of my rifles are in belted mag cases. Several of my loads are not using mag primers. Generally Fed 210 primers. They are the coldest primer I know off. Trying to burn the powder over the length of the barrel. Building up chamber pressure a little slower and using the barrel length to achieve what I am after in velocity and grouping. I also understand that larger powder charges need a hotter primer to get the powder burnt in the barrel.

SSS
Mike
I am not a believer in magic guns. If you are getting those speeds it tells me you are running high pressure. I have a 7stw I got 3500 with a 160. Once!! I chronoed and cut the charge. I know from experience a 308 norma and the 300 win are not 300 weatherby. With a 27 inch lilja Iam getting 3150 with a 200gr bullet. And that is with one powder only.A factory 300 rum with a 26 with the best powder by noslers book went 3025 with a 200gr. I have seen 150fps increase by changing a factory barrel to a custom barrel because the smoothness and tolerance betterment. As far as the nosler case compared to belted it is fatter so of course has more volume per length all else being equal. I am no ballistician but your saying a 210 lights the powder slower to alter the pressure curve? Doubtful. The 210 is one the hottest non magnum primers there is and is best in cold weather of the non magnum primers. Once the powder lights it is milliseconds to the bullet gone from the barrel. The job of the primer is to light it consistently . Remington and CCI are thermal primers. Federal blasts a white hot charge of particles to actually penetrate the powder kernels. The Winchester primers use a mix of both. The pressure data I have seen is the Winchester magnum is the hottest primer of all.

I am not a believer in magic guns. If you are getting those speeds it tells me you are running high pressure. I have a 7stw I got 3500 with a 160. Once!! I chronoed and cut the charge. I know from experience a 308 norma and the 300 win are not 300 weatherby. With a 27 inch lilja Iam getting 3150 with a 200gr bullet. And that is with one powder only.A factory 300 rum with a 26 with the best powder by noslers book went 3025 with a 200gr. I have seen 150fps increase by changing a factory barrel to a custom barrel because the smoothness and tolerance betterment. As far as the nosler case compared to belted it is fatter so of course has more volume per length all else being equal. I am no ballistician but your saying a 210 lights the powder slower to alter the pressure curve? Doubtful. The 210 is one the hottest non magnum primers there is and is best in cold weather of the non magnum primers. Once the powder lights it is milliseconds to the bullet gone from the barrel. The job of the primer is to light it consistently . Remington and CCI are thermal primers. Federal blasts a white hot charge of particles to actually penetrate the powder kernels. The Winchester primers use a mix of both. The pressure data I have seen is the Winchester magnum is the hottest primer of all.
I have to agree with you David. Anytime I hear case X with say 6-8 gr less capacity out runs a bigger case and barrel lengths are the same there is a reason. Its running high pressure. There a great brass sources now that hold pressure, adg lapua Bertram, case heads will not show indication that inferior brass will. Some barrels are faster than others, we all know that. But if you're in the knowledge that somehow you've developed a magic load, chances are it's hot. My 300 norma improved will get almost 3200fps with a 230 Berger, and I could run it there, but it's hot. I usually ladder up to pressure signs, then try to develop my load at least 1-1.5 gr below that. These loads are still probably above saami psi due to the high quality brass. A person can load any way they want, but just be smart about it and be safe!

I have to agree with you David. Anytime I hear case X with say 6-8 gr less capacity out runs a bigger case and barrel lengths are the same there is a reason. Its running high pressure. There a great brass sources now that hold pressure, adg lapua Bertram, case heads will not show indication that inferior brass will. Some barrels are faster than others, we all know that. But if you're in the knowledge that somehow you've developed a magic load, chances are it's hot. My 300 norma improved will get almost 3200fps with a 230 Berger, and I could run it there, but it's hot. I usually ladder up to pressure signs, then try to develop my load at least 1-1.5 gr below that. These loads are still probably above saami psi due to the high quality brass. A person can load any way they want, but just be smart about it and be safe!
Highdrum I agree 100%. With one disclaimer. You can have too much of a good thing. Once you go over a certain case capacity to bore you can actually go backwards. I had a reamer made for the 6.5x300 win mag with a 30 degree shoulder. It equals the 6.5x300 weatherby and outdoes the 26 nosler with 10 grains less powder. You can only run so much volume with a certain size bore. 7rum vs 28 nosler is a good example. When I was young and stupid I had a 300 weatherby. 30x378.Whooo. The barrel was a 10 twist lilja. It was chambered to a 300 weatherby. Opened it to a 30x378. With the powders available then I gained recoil and noise but no gain in speed. Now with the powders we have it is amazing what can be had from a smaller case. The 6 creedmoor. Speers new data shows a 100 at over 3300 with a 100gr. 24 inch barrel with R26. You have to push a 240 right to the top and some barrels will not do it. What I do is run up until .001 head expansion with a NEW case. and if the primer pockets start to open after several shots I back off a bit. But as you say with Lapua or Peterson brass even that is too hot. With them the chronograph is your friend. My old mentor in Billings has a saying I like. What is the difference between a 30x338 and a rum? About 2 clicks ;) .And as we both know your best accuracy is usually backed off a touch. Life is much easier if we run up towards the top in capacity for a certain bore size. But reach the top and usually you get a temperamental beast.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.