Thanks Butter Bean!

Thought I had my wife's older Tikka in 7mm08 dialed in fairly well, close to moa @ 100yds. She's taken several deer and a couple elk, farthest she felt comfortable with was 375 yds. But have fun ping'n steel @ 500yds, large targets so makes it easy and fun for her. Just a stock off the shelf gun, no improvements at all so figured this is fine and she's happy with it.
Then Butter Bean posted his article on
"Why I Crimp" or something like that.
Wow was it a great tip and thoroughly explained! So had to get the Lee FCD and give it a try on the 7mm08. THEN someone here posted Midway's sale on Athlon scopes, so thought I'd upgrade her scope also.
I loaded up some Eldx 162gr with 4166 under it, and followed Butter Beans instructions. With a couple outings experimenting with different crimp settings I found a 3/16 crimp seemed to be the sweet spot.
This is an amazing site here, so many experienced and wise people here and eager to help. So thankful for everyone's contribution in learning since I fell down this deep rabbit hole!
So with the expert crimping lesson give'n from "The Bean" and scope up grade this is what I was able to accomplish this morning.
1000yd attempt, 6 for 6 shots. Not what you experts would be happy with but for my first attempt with a stock rifle, I'm pretty happy with it, fun stuff.
Thanks again to everyone who helps us newbies! And a special thank you
Butter Bean!!!!
Well done....very respectable first round....and good enough for the next 100 as well....! Good Old Bean! Well done both of you!

Last edited:
Thought I had my wife's older Tikka in 7mm08 dialed in fairly well, close to moa @ 100yds. She's taken several deer and a couple elk, farthest she felt comfortable with was 375 yds. But have fun ping'n steel @ 500yds, large targets so makes it easy and fun for her. Just a stock off the shelf gun, no improvements at all so figured this is fine and she's happy with it.
Then Butter Bean posted his article on
"Why I Crimp" or something like that.
Wow was it a great tip and thoroughly explained! So had to get the Lee FCD and give it a try on the 7mm08. THEN someone here posted Midway's sale on Athlon scopes, so thought I'd upgrade her scope also.
I loaded up some Eldx 162gr with 4166 under it, and followed Butter Beans instructions. With a couple outings experimenting with different crimp settings I found a 3/16 crimp seemed to be the sweet spot.
This is an amazing site here, so many experienced and wise people here and eager to help. So thankful for everyone's contribution in learning since I fell down this deep rabbit hole!
So with the expert crimping lesson give'n from "The Bean" and scope up grade this is what I was able to accomplish this morning.
1000yd attempt, 6 for 6 shots. Not what you experts would be happy with but for my first attempt with a stock rifle, I'm pretty happy with it, fun stuff.
Thanks again to everyone who helps us newbies! And a special thank you
Butter Bean!!!!
That's freaking awesome Nice Trigger work and congrats

Too bad you are just Average Bean! 😉

Thats right.gif

Well done....very respectable first round....and good enough for the next 100 as well....! Good Old Bean! Well done both of you!
Thanks so much! Very thankful I live 15 minutes from where I can practice, state and blm land. Also have room to set steel out to 1500yds, another adventure!

Nice set up.. good thing my wife didn't see your rifle... purple is her favorite color..
Well...... about that.
Short version of the purple. My wife mentioned one time out hunting the stock was a little slick sometimes in the rain. So I looked into light textured spray paint for a stock. Found all kinds of cool ideas on youtube for painting stocks. Watched one several time to make sure I did it correctly and made my own dip solution. And turned out great. Real story is I went against her wishes, she wanted black only but since I used her favorite color also it passed!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.