Thanks Butter Bean!

Outdrmn

Thought I had my wife's older Tikka in 7mm08 dialed in fairly well, close to moa @ 100yds. She's taken several deer and a couple elk, farthest she felt comfortable with was 375 yds. But have fun ping'n steel @ 500yds, large targets so makes it easy and fun for her. Just a stock off the shelf gun, no improvements at all so figured this is fine and she's happy with it.
Then Butter Bean posted his article on
"Why I Crimp" or something like that.
Wow was it a great tip and thoroughly explained! So had to get the Lee FCD and give it a try on the 7mm08. THEN someone here posted Midway's sale on Athlon scopes, so thought I'd upgrade her scope also.
I loaded up some Eldx 162gr with 4166 under it, and followed Butter Beans instructions. With a couple outings experimenting with different crimp settings I found a 3/16 crimp seemed to be the sweet spot.
This is an amazing site here, so many experienced and wise people here and eager to help. So thankful for everyone's contribution in learning since I fell down this deep rabbit hole!
So with the expert crimping lesson give'n from "The Bean" and scope up grade this is what I was able to accomplish this morning.
1000yd attempt, 6 for 6 shots. Not what you experts would be happy with but for my first attempt with a stock rifle, I'm pretty happy with it, fun stuff.
Thanks again to everyone who helps us newbies! And a special thank you
Butter Bean!!!!

Attachments

• 4EE4E9C2-C6FB-47C7-A8BE-B2D03CF24F01.jpeg
    4EE4E9C2-C6FB-47C7-A8BE-B2D03CF24F01.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 747
  • A28527C0-CA5E-4842-8153-A861E341746B.jpeg
    A28527C0-CA5E-4842-8153-A861E341746B.jpeg
    347.6 KB · Views: 647
Is that Tikka an M595 by chance? If yes, we're you able to long load those 162s? I have this gun in lefty and want to experiment with long bullet seating because the factory mag is 3.1+" COL. EDIT: I didn't notice the photos in my first glance.

Is that Tikka an M595 by chance? If yes, we're you able to long load those 162s? I have this gun in lefty and want to experiment with long bullet seating because the factory mag is 3.1+" COL. EDIT: I didn't notice the photos in my first glance.
It's the compact, I only load to mag length at 2.808

Butter Bean is DA MAN! I never would've started crimping if it was'nt for his thread "Why I Crimp". I now have Lee FCDs for nearly every caliber I own and have seen positive results on every one of em. Great post! Hats off to ya Bean!
Yep! Had to get one for my 300wm also and now in that process. Fun stuff!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.