Tent guy lines & fly stakes

Litehiker

For all of my backpacking tents I have guy lines that I make up myself. They are equipped with LineLoc tensioners near the stake end and a nylon hook at the tent end. This is for fast attachment when a storm bows up. These guy lines always go with my tents and are light weight insurance.

Guy lines keep tent poles from bending and breaking in heavy wind gusts.

Fly hem stakes hold the fly down and keep it from flapping madly in high winds. If your fly does not have these stake loops then sew them on using light, narrow nylon webbing.

Eric B.

I make all my own guy lines for all my gear as well. I like to splice rope so I make whoopie slings in all lengths and sizes. I use a very small 100% Dyneema braid for all my tent and tarp guy lines. I use Sampson Amsteel for my hammocks that support weight. No hardware, less weight, nothing to fail or break.

BTW, my guy lines are all made of reflective Triptease (yellow for the sides at the main pole) or reflective REI line (red, for the ends).

This color coding helps sort me them quickly because the red end guy lines are a lot longer than the yellow side lines.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.