Tent Location Priorities

brant89

What do you prioritize when choosing a camp location on a backpack hunt? Obviously the ground needs to be flat, dry, etc., but in regard to your distance from water, distance from your glassing/hunting area, concern for wind/thermals carrying your scent from camp, camping high vs. low. Let's hear your thoughts.

Los of variables depending on location, season, shelter type and species.
But - water is heavy and can really derail a high country hunt.
Don't set up close enough to affect animal behavior if it's the only source in the basin.
I like to be in a "pocket" that covers camp from sight, wind and scent detection as much as possible. Would rather be high vs low and within a mile of water.
It's a lot easier to put a tarp and bivy in hidey holes vs an 8 man tipee

Los of variables depending on location, season, shelter type and species.
But - water is heavy and can really derail a high country hunt.
Don't set up close enough to affect animal behavior if it's the only source in the basin.
I like to be in a "pocket" that covers camp from sight, wind and scent detection as much as possible. Would rather be high vs low and within a mile of water.
It's a lot easier to put a tarp and bivy in hidey holes vs an 8 man tipee
I'm still fairly new to backpack hunting, but I generally set up much closer to water than that (usually within 200 yards), but I do understand that if it's the only water source for game you would want to be a good distance away. Do you take extra water storage with you when you are that far from a water source or just bite the bullet and make multiple trips to water each day (I find myself going through 4-6L per day easily).

This October I'm pursuing mule deer with a buddy, and I'm planning on hiking in a bit deeper than we have in the past. I found what seems like a decent location to set up camp. It's in a small, lightly wooded drainage on a south facing slope, about 180 yards from the bottom where there is running water, east of where we intend to hunt. We will potentially be within 500 yards of where we expect to see game, but the southern slope is either heavily wooded or pretty steep, so there aren't many options for tent site locations. My thoughts were that being in the drainage would shield us from wind and keep us out of direct line of sight to any of our spotting locations. My only concern is thermals carrying our scent towards the north face since we are so close to the bottom of the basin. Is this something I should be worried about or am I overthinking it?

I'll bring an additional bladder or two but even then it's usually every other day water runs at best.

I think you're camp will be fine. Don't be loud and don't advertise your presence by hanging out on the skyline and you will be fine.
-I've harvested rifle deer and archery elk within spitting distance of my camp over the years.

Hunters in AZ cannot camp closer than 1/4 mile (440 yds) from any water source, unless it is part of an authorized camp ground. I look for something level, but where water can drain away from the tent. Never camp in low-lying areas. I also look for trees/bushes that can serve as a sort of wind break. Stay well clear of fallen or dead timber and widowmakers.

What mntrunner260 says. I didn't appreciate the importance of not camping where you hunt when I was young. I now generally stick with the ORP (objective rally point). guidance of the Army, one terrain feature or out of range of direct fire weapons from your objective (hunt area). Water concerns are not a factor in my area. I carry 2 liters on my pack during the hunt. I can fill up to and from my hunting area. If you can't make it through the night with 2 liters, you need to re-evaluate your water usage in camp. I'm only in camp to eat supper and sleep. Everything else except washing my socks and balls is done in my hunting area.

I always tuck my camp in a pocket off the natural line of drift, but close enough to find it if I have a head lamp failure.

I was recently reminded of how all these points come together last archery season. I saw a camp set up right by some water just above a bedding area with a 6 point. Of course the elk blew out, but when I passed that area on my way over the ridge to my camp after sunset, I would let out some bugles to keep those hunters interested in the area they blew out.

Just remember it is highly unlikely to undo critters blown out of a bedding area, but you can always reposition your camp as hunting pressure moves the animals.

Been in the Bush for many a Hunt. Foremost is water. And stay away from tall dead trees. Tempting for firewood but in high winds very dangerous. Cottonwood and older aspen groves even alive are potentially dangerous. I Always prefer a south exposure for sunny afternoon warming to dry things out. Sometimes you can find spring seeps higher up. Excellent camp locations as for elk anyways because glassing is highly advantageous and you might be halfway to the top. I always prefer a high camp for elk. I tent hunted a lot for Kodaik blacktail. They are spread everywhere elevation wise. A beach camp is more enjoyable and mountains are only about 3000' so the climb not so bad and you can glass from lower down easily which isn't the same so much for elk. But again afternoon sun always a priority if you can't have it all day. I don't get carried away with thermals really unless the black timber is very limited and that's where the elk are bedding down early bow season. Hope this was what you were angling for.

Hunters in AZ cannot camp closer than 1/4 mile (440 yds) from any water source, unless it is part of an authorized camp ground. I look for something level, but where water can drain away from the tent. Never camp in low-lying areas. I also look for trees/bushes that can serve as a sort of wind break. Stay well clear of fallen or dead timber and widowmakers.
I believe WY is 200 feet from water, so we are well outside that. I'm not new to camping or backpacking in general, just backpack hunting.

What mntrunner260 says. I didn't appreciate the importance of not camping where you hunt when I was young. I now generally stick with the ORP (objective rally point). guidance of the Army, one terrain feature or out of range of direct fire weapons from your objective (hunt area). Water concerns are not a factor in my area. I carry 2 liters on my pack during the hunt. I can fill up to and from my hunting area. If you can't make it through the night with 2 liters, you need to re-evaluate your water usage in camp. I'm only in camp to eat supper and sleep. Everything else except washing my socks and balls is done in my hunting area.

I always tuck my camp in a pocket off the natural line of drift, but close enough to find it if I have a head lamp failure.

I was recently reminded of how all these points come together last archery season. I saw a camp set up right by some water just above a bedding area with a 6 point. Of course the elk blew out, but when I passed that area on my way over the ridge to my camp after sunset, I would let out some bugles to keep those hunters interested in the area they blew out.
I have no problem making it through the night on 2L, but I often find myself having to refill my water half way through the day as well, drinking up to 6L a day. We pretty much only sleep at camp. We left our food near our water source since we were stopping there multiple times every day and to keep the bears from wandering into our camp, so we are at the water. However this was quite a ways from where we were hunting. I think this fall I will take an extra water bottle so I'm carrying 3L instead of only 2L so I can maybe get by without the mid-day refill.

I might take your advice and see if I can find another area to camp a little further away. There is a good location about a quarter mile west of there, but I'm afraid we might be visibly exposed to one of the hills I want to glass.

I camp as close to water as I can but not in the open. I like setting up in the timber because of the wind and rain protection. As a bonus, it's easier to find a place for hanging meat if you are successfuI. I don't worry too much about scent because it's almost impossible to judge in the mountainous terrain where I hunt. Cool morning air is heavy and flows down the slopes and afternoon warm air flows up the slopes but the shape of the hills can make it swirl anywhere. Besides, I always have a fire and lots of cooking smells. I pack a lightweight collapsable bucket to fetch water in and it carries six to eight litres comfortably so I am not always running for water. It also becomes my sink for washing up before and after a meal.

If I am camping in the alpine I still look for cover in a gully or draw on the lee side of the hills but I take a tent instead of a tarp. I always try to camp where I can have a fire but sometimes it isn't possible, which means using a stove and carrying fuel and losing the luxury of easy hot water for cooking and cleaning, as well as missing the warming and drying ability of a fire pit.

Unless I can see where the water is coming from, like a spring or seep or runoff from packed snow, I like to boil it for a few minutes before adding it to my water bottle. I burn lots of fuel, wood or gas, and it bugs me if I have to pack it. I grew up in a low tech era.

Setting up on a gradual slope is idea for drainage, especially if you have lots of tent surface, but it's not one of my priorities. In desperation I have gone out in a downpour and gouged a channel around the tent with a stick to move the water away. I guess that is why they invented those bathtub floors.

Elk hunting I tend to camp below my hunting spot. Air is usually carrying downslope in the morning and upslope in the evening. Also, I prefer packing elk quarters downhill if at all possible :)

Water is the main criteria for camp location, but we try to be as far a possible while being practical. Bladders are very useful, compress to nothing but can cary a lot of water when you need it, so we do not have to go to the water source that often,

Recent Posts