Davis Tent

I'll probably offend someone with this response, but this thread is pretty comical/entertaining.

Carting in a canvas wall tent and asking about Davis? Should have been reworded as to a good lightweight tent for packing. (But it does get your posts up real quick)
Not all manufacturers are the same. Some make a better product than others.
Then there is the fabric.
If you are packing, whether by horse or trailer, or whatever, that makes a big difference.
Regarding Davis tent. They are a good company. They make a good product. Is their quality as good as Montana Canvas, Beckel, Kwik Kamp, Canvas Cabins? No. I have camped in all of those and they make a better product. It'sthe Attention to detail. Rolled seams, reinforced corners, storm flaps that makes the difference in price.
Now, do you need all of those things? No. Will your canvas tent last just as long? Probably yes. The biggest issue with canvas wall tents is care. As in mildew. If cost is an issue and you just want the basics, buy a Davis.
The other concern is canvas thickness. If you are talking about weight, the type of canvas makes a big difference. A 12oz 14x16 tent will weigh more than a 16x20 10oz. Then there is Relite. Much lighter.
For 2 people, I would pack in anything bigger than a 12x14, and that is if you are cooking inside, which if I remember correctly, you cook on a campfire.
A 16x20 is good for 6 guys. Tight, but if you are packing in, you need to keep weight down.

If I was carting in, I would be looking at something besides a canvas tent as described already in this thread.

Hey Everyone,

I'm not sure if this is permitted to post in this spot but I wanted to see what folks think of Davis tents?

I was thinking about picking one up for the next hunt (I know it's not backpacking technically) but we are gonna haul 2 game carts. One with our campsite and the other for our quarry on.

I was thinking of picking up one of their tents but wanted to see if anyone has already used them?

Davis makes high quality tents and they are really good people to deal with. You can check around on the interweb and find numerous positive reviews. I've got a 14X20 and only use it to camp near my truck. Even the smallest canvas tent is going to be heavy and cumbersome to haul in. Then you will need to either haul in your frame (which is heavy) or cut trees or find deadfall to make your own frame once you are at your camp site. Usually livestock is used to pack in wall tents due to weight and bulk. Based on your plans, your group may be better off getting light weight tents that ya'll can pack in on your backs.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts