Wall tent choices?

I chose and have been happy with my 15' X 18' Bravo tent. I chose it mainly for the heavily reinforced seams and high wind capability. John, the owner, fixes a lot of other brand tents so he learned what works and what doesn't early on.
Going on 20 plus years on our 2 bravo 15'x15' tents still like new. Got another new one from John last year an 18'x24'. What ever you buy get one that has d-rings for tie offs and not gromets. Also doors on both ends are nice only a matter of time before someone smokes out the tent with the wood stove and being able to open both ends of the tent clears it out quick. We run the Cabela's xxxl disco bunks you can sleep double the amount of people in the same space and they are extra wide. We also prefer to run our wood stove out the sidewall vs. the roof as we are on the westside of the Cascades and get a lot of wet heavy snow. So we always put white tops over our roof to help the snow slide off the tarp is a pain in the rear when your stove jack is in the roof.

I have 3 Wall tents from Davis tent. I've used a lot of different tents over 30 plus years. They make the best ones in my opinion. I have the internal frame strips for all 3 but have the option of using wood pole setup. Which I do with the 10x12 used for pack in on horses.
rain/snow flys for all 3. 2 have extended front sections with side walls on the flys to give extra storage/cooking and sitting area.
If you call and talk with them they can get exactly what you want and need. Very helpful with customer service

Reliable Tent and Awning in Billings, Mt, makes a fine wall tent. I had a couple of their 10oz wall tents. However, I switched to Montana Canvas tents made of Relite. The weight of the tent was less than that of a canvas tent of similar size. The stove jacks were in the roof, made of fiberglass cloth. Sparks that landed out side the fiberglass, some times melted a small hole in the fabric. I punched 1/2 in patches from scrap material, that I glued to the the outside of the fabric. Unlike canvas that can burn, the Relite is synthetic, polyester I think, and sparks only melted the fabric. It does tend to sweat a bit, so having roof vents was a must. I understand Reliable Tent and Awing has a similar fabric to offer now. Check both out.

The first question is are you packing in, (horse, quad, or whatever), or are you truck camping? If you are packing in lighter is better but truck camping gives you much more room for the finer things in life. As far as tents go I have stayed in many types and when it came to putting my own truck outfit together I built my own. I bought one of those portable garages on sale at a hardware. Over the years I improved it to the point where we could live in it comfortably for weeks at a time in weather that went well below freezing. We started off with a 10 by 20 and later bought another one for when more people were coming. The longest we ever set it up was 10 by 32. They now sell 12 by 24 and that would make a nice size tent, and the internal frames are strong enough to handle any snow load. We always put another tarp over the full length of it to make it warmer and had the stove going through the roof because it takes away the need for extra support for the pipe, (which can fail and smoke you out). After a few years we started putting plywood ends on the frame because it was easy to cut them to fit and attach them to the frame, and each other, using mechanics ties. This way we could make a door that would seal against the weather.

1595804845385.jpeg

1595804745032.jpeg

1595804651570.jpeg

I am happy with Reliable...I have 2. We sleep 3 or 4 in a 10x12 and cook in the 8x10. I use external cut frame for the sleeper and have internal frame for the cooker. Seen every type of weather imaginable on a 10 day Adirondack deer hunt and was most impressed. Only used them for long weekends since but have to say I can slap that 8x10 up so fast it will make you head spin. I have a roof stove jack in the sleeper but never burnt a wood stove in it. Use big buddy heater when needed.

Another vote for Davis Tent. Between my buddy and I we have a 15x18, 14x16, and 12x14. We have been using them for 15 years and have used multiple combinations when adding more people, ie a 15x18 stacked up against a 14x16.

My good friend has his wall tent for sale and stored in my shop. If you are interested please let me know. The tent is in Northern Utah, almost Idaho. I have used it and it is nice and in good shape. The stove exhaust is in the roof, that I recall ver

I am not sure if this is the proper forum for this but I didn't see another section that fit. The group of fellas is looking at purchasing a good wall tent for everything from spring turkey hunts to late rifle hunts. It will likely be 4-6 good size boys and gear. We will have a stove in it plus our bags so we are thinking something along the 18x23 Montana Canvas 12oz or 18x24 Bravo SuperGrade, likely we will have a cool shack attached. So my questions are what are the pros and cons of each manufacturer? I noticed Bravo has the side exhaust, any significant reason for that? This will be our first wall tent so feel free to provide any guidance or suggestions. Davis Tent comes up in discussion a lot but they seem to be lesser price and can't seem to find out why, we were assuming they were not has strong as the aforementioned brands.
I would check out the Wall Tent Shop or Montana Canvas. Wall Tent Shop has some nice package deals. I would recommend 6' sidewalls and tent fly. If you are going to be in heavy snow conditions get the upgraded rafter package w/internal frame.

If you're going to be n heavvy snow conditions, the LAST frigging thing you want is 6 foot sidewalls. 4 foot sidewalls make for a steeper roof and allows the snow to slide off much easier. But if a guy ever spent any time in a wall tent, he'd know that....

If you're going to be n heavvy snow conditions, the LAST frigging thing you want is 6 foot sidewalls. 4 foot sidewalls make for a steeper roof and allows the snow to slide off much easier. But if a guy ever spent any time in a wall tent, he'd know that....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.