Tenderloin from first ever elk harvest...

The Oregonian

Took a cow elk a few days ago, my first elk ever. Made a crappy shot at 150 yds - still not used to a Jewell trigger yet. My fault for either not being used to the equipment or possibly having adrenaline going through me and 2 lbs feeling awfully light in a hunting situation.

Regardless, I finished her off with a neck shot at 290 yds.

The tenderloin was magnificent...my wife loved it and she was skeptical since she hates the ducks I shoot.

Roasted potatoes and green beans as well as mushrooms on the side with lightly seasoned tenderloin with a little bacon sitting on top while it cooked. Was magnificent.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 180
Looks fantastic. Couple years ago after I harvested a bull, 2 hunters from West Virginia who were camped nearby came over to help me quarter out the elk. I was doing the 'gutless' method of skinning and quartering. The last thing you do is get the tenderloins out. One guy said, " Now go get the golden stuff !". After I cut out the first tenderloin I handed it to him and said , here you guys take this one for supper tonight. They couldn't believe I was giving them one, but I appreciated their help.
It truly is the 'sweetest' meat you will ever eat.

Took a cow elk a few days ago, my first elk ever. Made a crappy shot at 150 yds - still not used to a Jewell trigger yet. My fault for either not being used to the equipment or possibly having adrenaline going through me and 2 lbs feeling awfully light in a hunting situation.

The tenderloin was magnificent...my wife loved it and she was skeptical since she hates the ducks I shoot.

Roasted potatoes and green beans as well as mushrooms on the side with lightly seasoned tenderloin with a little bacon sitting on top while it cooked. Was magnificent.

Congrats! I know exactly what you mean. Elk meat is just about the only wild game meat my wife will eat nowadays. We had some Eggs Benedict with marinated elk steaks topped with Hollandaise sauce along with a mimosa to chase it down for dinner on Thursday. :D

Attachments

• 11169163_10204814039852772_8742567618357148588_n.jpg
    11169163_10204814039852772_8742567618357148588_n.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 88
O, the wife loves cow elk, it isn't as gamey as bull. I have even passed it off to the daughter in law who swears wild game tastes terrible. After woofing down a couple loin chops I told her what she just ate, she couldn't believe it. August elk hunts are unheard of here in AZ, the archery and trophy bull hunts start in mid September and the cow hunts in mid October.

Cow elk is one of my favorites too, especially those tenderloins! If you ever get a chance, shoot a fat Axis buck, their backstraps are as long and big around as my arm! I gues the Lord made them that way to out jump tigers in India, ha. But it has a mild, wonderful flavor, not like any other muley or whitetail I ever had, even the farmland deer! I too find that a very light trigger doesn't work well for me in a hunting situation. I can get by with 2.5# but anything lighter and my old fingers mess up, ha. I had my 35 Whelen AI Shilen trigger set on 3#, and never looked back. Congrats!

There is no better red meat out there than cow elk! I am yet to try a recipe with it that I didn't like. Plus the missus and kids love it too!

Venison is the one meat that can't be rated as a whole. Many claim Moose is the best others say Elk while even many claim Pronghorn to be #1. I'm in the Elk is the "best ever" camp. Obviously it depends on where it's lived it's entire life as it matters for any animal. What they feed on helps or kills the overall quality. For me Elk loins are #1 in wild game sustenance.