first ever bull elk and a "short" shot

dmax1800

I was in NM this past week on my third elk hunt. I hadn't squeezed the trigger on my previous 2 hunts.

My guide spotted a cow and then the bull on a ridge across the canyon near mid morning. He said we could try to get closer, but it would take at least an hour. I was concerned that the cow would walk off and the bull would follow. We debated a lot about whether to take the shot. The bull had layed down as if to bed down. While we were debating, the bull got back up. I felt sure he was going to walk off and I'd never see him to get a shot. We had not seen any other shooters and had only heard a couple of other bulls, so the opportunities seemed to be limited.

There was no mirage and the wind seemed to be calm. It actually turned out to be 1 to 1 1/2 mph. I was laying on a large rock with the forearm of the rifle on the guide's backpack. Left had was under the back end of the stock for elevation adjustment. I could hold the rifle extremely still.

The rifle is a Winchester model 70 300 win mag with a Hart barrel, McMillan stock, Muscle brake, Timney trigger set at 2 1/2#, action trued, lugs lapped, stock bedded, Zeiss HD5 5-25x50 scope with Z-800 reticle and an anti-cant bubble on the scope. Shooting a Nosler 180 grain Accubond bullet at 3010 fps at the muzzle. During my practice shooting I could fairly consistently get 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards. At 200 yards the groups were 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inch.

And now for the "short distance". I had told the guide I wanted to shoot the rifle at 800 yards, but at a target. He said "here is your 800 yard shot. He is at 850 yards". He was using my Leica 1600-B range finder and had ranged a 10 foot boulder near the bull three times with exactly the same reading of 850 yards line of sight and 845 true horizontal.

When the bull stood up, I felt sure he was going to walk off. He was a 6x6 bull that measured around 290, so he was a respectable bull. I told the guide "I'm going to shoot him". I got settled and double checked the anti-cant bubble. During the load development the first shot was always higher than the second and third shot of a group. I had the scope set so that the first shot was just slightly high on the target. I figured that the slightly high first shot would compensate for the additional 50 yards, so I put the 800 yard hash mark just behind the line up the back of his leg and mid way up the body. The instant I felt the recoil start, the hash mark was exactly where I wanted it.

The 1 mph wind had blown the bullet about 4 inches forward. The bullet hit the shoulder and the bull dropped like a sack of rocks. He layed down flat for about 5 minutes before managing to get back up. He couldn't hardly walk and went only a few feet. The bullet also did vitals damage and he expired shortly.

I don't know who was more excited: me or the guide. That probably was the shot of a lifetime: a 6x6 bull at 850 yards. Half a mile. Amazing. Incredible. Unbelievable. For all of you guys that are saying "no way" or "I don't believe it", I can get an notarized affidavit from the guide swearing under oath that I did indeed make the 850 yard shot.

That is awesome!!!! You know what will prove it??? Some pics of the bull!!!! Put them up!!! Be proud!! I would be!!! Shoot I was proud of my 36 yard bull this year with my muzzle loader!!!

Very happy for you. Where were u hunting?? What unit? What guide service? We're they good??

Glad you practiced and made a great shot!!!
Congrats!!!

OK you asked for it. Here is a picture of my ugly mug with my first ever elk shot at 850 yards.

As for the other info, I promised the outfitter I would not reveal the location or the outfitters name. All I can say is that it was in New Mexico. He does not want any other hunters coming in trying to top my record and only wounding elk. He is a very ethical hunter and doesn't believe in long shots. My guide only let me take the shot since he knew of all the details of my custom rifle, knew how meticulous I am with reloading ( 1 thou or less of bullet runout, 10 or under standard deviation on velocity), knew the BDC of the scope would get me the correct elevation, there was no mirage, virtually no wind, and believed me when I said I could hold the rifle rock solid. Just about perfect conditions with excellent equipment and a rock solid rest. Just doesn't get any better for this kind of a long shot.

IMG_0241_editted.jpg IMG_0722_editted.jpg

Nice Bull! Location and name of outfitter is one thing, but to not share the unit is whacky......to each their own I guess.

Did you ever practice any longer than 100 or 200 yards ?

If not, how did you know how high to aim ?

The scope has BDC - bullet drop compensation. I zeroed the scope at 200 yards. Then there are hash marks for every 100 yards and small marks between every major hash marks for 50 yard increments. So I just put the 800 yard mark where I wanted to hit because I knew that the 1st shot was always a little high and would compensate for the additional 50 yards. I had shot at 300 yards and the hash mark was right with the right power setting. Before the hunt I verified the 350 yard mark.

I had practiced at 300 yards and the test shot before the hunt at 350. But that was the longest I had shot. Zeiss said they had done a lot of work to make absolutely sure that the marks matched the ballistics. And they were dead on.

Some guys may say that I should have practiced at 850 before I took that kind of shot. But I had verified all I thought I needed to and trusted Zeiss. And Zeiss was right. I would not trust a company that did not make as good a quality as Zeiss.

I hope I don't get flamed for not practicing before taking that long shot. Bottom line is that everything to perfection.

That's impressive !!

Did you use the meter dial on the side of the Zeiss scope, or just the hash marks on the lens

I also have a Zeiss scope. It has the hash marks, and the dial. I am 6" high at 100 yards. 3" high at 200 yards. So I figure am basically zeroed at 300 yards.

I have not gotten to the 300 yard range yet. And will not be able to before my hunt. So I will limit my range to 350 yards.

I still don't fully understand the scope.

Way to go! Modern technology along with the internet is teaching a whole new generation of shooters about LR shooting. Practice practice practice and gain confidence in your and your rifle's ability to make the shot and have fun doing it.

Alan

Congratulations on a great hunt, great shot and an outstanding Bull. That Bull is all the explanation anyone needs.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.