First harvest

I never ever shoot for shoulders unless that is all I have and there are no other options. For stuff we eat why the heck would you intentionally ruin meat if you don't have to?

No one I know intentionally shoots for shoulders WE ALWAYS GO FOR DOUBLE LUNGS DEER ELK ANTELOPE COYOTES EVERYTHING!!

Caveat......many of us head shoot cows and does, neck, and lungs if we absolutely have to. Again they are only for meat so why ruin any of it on purpose.

I normally hunt whitetails in NC or SC. The smallish whitetails have so little meat on their front shoulders that it really doesn't matter if you hit them there. Since the swamps, snakes and other hazards are always close, most of the outfitters usually recommend that you drop them on the spot, if possible. I generally try to double lung deer but I'll occasionally shoot through both shoulders if I'm concerned about loosing one in any particular area.

There's nothing wrong with the Partition…it was a good choice and probably one of the all-time best for hunting. I would not think twice about them in the future and it's a perfect match in your 7mag for elk. The problem with Partitions is many people don't understand how they work. They will have a caliber diameter entrance and then violently expand while dumping a great deal of energy in the vitals as the petals fold back. You then have the base as a flat nosed FMJ continuing for deeper penetration which is why some think they didn't expand as they see a caliber diameter exit. If you think about it, that's still as good or better than bullets that are not designed to exit. Happy hunting…..I wouldn't change a thing.

PS - if you want to be sure a cow elk drops in her tracks, shoot her in the neck or head.

I was fortunate to harvest my first elk on a cow only hunt recently.

Range was less than 200 yds. I was hunting with my 7RM using Federal Premium 160 Partition ammunition ~2950fps.

I was able to make a double lung shot and managed to keep my eyes on target at impact. Saw an impressive shock wave centered around POA and was certain I did my job.

Found my quarry no more than 50yds from where she stood but she dove into some thick brush that made the tracking job harder than the distance implies.

Blood trail was off and on - troubled me that my eyes had deceived me.

What I found on the meat pole was what looked like an exit wound that had created a chasm between the ribs and hide - I did not find a lot of blood because most of it was in this chasm.

I'm wondering how common this is and opinions on what I might have done differently to have a better chance at a better blood trail? I know partitions are considered bad medicine for elk and that many LRH folks might prefer a bullet that would expend more energy inside the chest cavity.
You could shoot her in the head next time! Other than that, sounds like you did everything right. 50 yards is pretty much a total success to me!

I've shot a few elk with Barnes bullets on a high shoulder shot with the intent of dropping them on the spot. I was pleasantly surprised at how little meat was damaged. Mostly I use the 160 grain Accubonds because I've had excellent results with that one as well. I don't use Partitions because of the meat loss.

How far up on an elk can make a difference in the blood trail, hit them no higher than half way up, lower third even better, there is a lot of hair on an elk between a high shot and the bottom of the chest, lower you make the holes the sooner you'll have blood.

I never ever shoot for shoulders unless that is all I have and there are no other options. For stuff we eat why the heck would you intentionally ruin meat if you don't have to?

No one I know intentionally shoots for shoulders WE ALWAYS GO FOR DOUBLE LUNGS DEER ELK ANTELOPE COYOTES EVERYTHING!!

Caveat......many of us head shoot cows and does, neck, and lungs if we absolutely have to. Again they are only for meat so why ruin any of it on purpose.

AMEN to all of this, cept I personally won't take head shots anymo (personal thing)

Congrats on your first elk, darn good eats there!

Far as the load you used, one just couldn't come up with a better elk round/load than that. Keep slapping them around with it!

I have an ancient BAR 7 RM that's been thru it and the darn thing shoots this load lights out and then some!! Wish I could a case of it to put away:)

I was fortunate to harvest my first elk on a cow only hunt recently.

Range was less than 200 yds. I was hunting with my 7RM using Federal Premium 160 Partition ammunition ~2950fps.

I was able to make a double lung shot and managed to keep my eyes on target at impact. Saw an impressive shock wave centered around POA and was certain I did my job.

Found my quarry no more than 50yds from where she stood but she dove into some thick brush that made the tracking job harder than the distance implies.

Blood trail was off and on - troubled me that my eyes had deceived me.

What I found on the meat pole was what looked like an exit wound that had created a chasm between the ribs and hide - I did not find a lot of blood because most of it was in this chasm.

I'm wondering how common this is and opinions on what I might have done differently to have a better chance at a better blood trail? I know partitions are considered bad medicine for elk and that many LRH folks might prefer a bullet that would expend more energy inside the chest cavity.
Great shot and recovery, 50 yds is not a bad thing , not finding one is.
I will take a 50 yard track with minimal blood .
Since you asked for opinions I'll give you one.
Most average fellows don't get the chance to kill an elk every year , so with limited chances , don't change a thing ,stick with what just worked .
You just ran a successful test