TBAC5 vs Gunwerks vs ??

I will run this mostly on lightweight bolt action hunting rifles chambered in 280AI and up to 300RUM. Weight and length are both important, diameter not so important.
The reason I got the dominus over the 5 was due to my barrel length vs cartridge. I called TBAC and asked if the 5 would be ok on my creed pistol with 11.5 barrel. They said no, go dominus. Just food for thought on the decision, might be worth a call to confirm the can will handle what you throw at it. I would have preferred the 5 but the dom is working great. It's very much the same as my 7.

Last edited:
I will run this mostly on lightweight bolt action hunting rifles chambered in 280AI and up to 300RUM. Weight and length are both important, diameter not so important.
TBAC Ultra cans tend to be a bit gassy on DI guns. But if you are wanting this for bolt, then that is a non-factor.

It sounds like to me you need to be looking more at the Dominus line from Thunderbeast. I still go back to the Dominus-K SR as a solid choice. It adds about 4.9" to the barrel length, muzzle device and can weigh about 12oz,, and has suppression capability within 3-5db of the Ultra 7 and full length Dominus. And has secondary retention. I am not sure you can find amuch better compromise than that.

Now where you are going to run into problems is with your cartridge. Those are big rounds to be trying to tame with a little can. TB says minimum 26" barrel for 300RUM. They don't list 280AI. You didn't specify barrel length. Again a detail that matters.

FWIW: TBAC lists minimum barrel length of 22" for 300RUM for all of the Ultra series.

I bought a Omega 36M that hopefully is approved in a month. I bought it as a do all for .223 to 300. Pretty modular. The guys that know cans better
can chime in details as I havn't used one yet, just always used what Uncle Sam had in the armory.

I own the ultra7 ultra9 and the Dominus. All are amazing. I have been wondering about the ultra5 for a while although the weight is so minimally different I was go the Dominus. Although in the same class is the nomad ti. Thunder beast talks about how it was the quietest can they had tried prior to making the Dominus. Cost is less. My boys each have a nomad in steel and they are right there quiet wise with my thunder beast tough to beat for sure. Also accuracy is really good with both them no real difference on the same host.

A big motivation is weight reduction and length reduction. I know 4 or 5 ounces difference doesn't sound like a lot but all those ounces add up. I am definitely looking towards titanium. Barrels are all long enough but I might build a 7mm something or other with a 20".

I run TBAC ultra 5, 7s, 338, and Dominus-K SR. After using them all, I prefer the Dominus-K SR on rifles I hunt with. I run it on a handful of rifles from .223 up to 300 Norma Mag Improved.

I have limited experience with suppressors, but that is changing. I currently have the Ultra 7, and it has changed my world in shooting. The only advice I can give you is to make a decision and start the process now so you will have in time for next hunting season. The only thing I regret is I only ordered one at the time. The Ultra 5 would have been a great addition for a pure hunting suppressor.