Recoup reduction vs muzzle break?

zr600

Ok if I get a surpressor on my 7 mag more then likely be the silencer central can. I currently have a Hawkins 3 port side break how would felt recoil next with the can vs the break?

A decent to good brake will always be better at reducing recoil than a can. Some people will say perceived recoil is the same due to the lack of percussion, and the cans are of course, are more pleasant to shoot. But felt recoil will be more.

I often hunt solo and at long ranges, in those cases I prefer a good brake so I can always spot my shots. With a spotter, a can is nice though.

For comparison, I was shooting my 9.3 lb .338 Norma Mag sending 270 grain bullets at 2800-2900 fps on a ladder test, with a 5 bort beast brake. At 540 yards, I was watching the bullet impact the target at 25x magnification. In the same outing, I was also doing a ladder with a 12.4 lb (with can) 7mm rem mag supressed with a YHM resinator, sporter shape stock, sending 175's around 2850-2950. I was only able to spot about half my shots, maybe a little less, at 24x magnification. I think it would have been better with a stock better suited for prone shooting, but there was noticeably more bounce, and it didn't come back on the target. My cousin who hunts with a 12.6 lb with can .270 Sherman, sending 170's at 2940, has never spotted a hit with his gun. Sporter thumbhole stock.

Myself, I am putting together a hot 25 cal to send the 131's for pronghorn and mule deer, and that will run supressed. The smaller bullet should make it to where I can spot my impacts easily with a can, and not worry about blasting the entire forest to death. As for elk, I'll keep using my loud as all get out .338, because it puts a whollop on em, and they are almost always over 700 yards where we hunt, and I can spot impacts with that too.

Also, the supressed 7 mag, even with top end loads, was pleasant to shoot of course, and had much less recoil than bare muzzle, it just had enough bounce to throw me off target at 540 yards at 24x. Depending on how your rifle is set up and fitted to you, your results may change for the better.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.