Tangent Theta vs ZCO vs Schmidt vs Kahles

I've had both the TT 315 & the ZCO 420.
Both excellent optics. Decided I need more magnification on the top end. Only problem for me on a lighter build is optics with 30+ on the top end are typically Big & Heavy.
Got a couple NF in the safe I may run for now.
4-32's have not given me trouble Yet.

TT>ZCO>S&B........>Kahles.

I am a self-aware glass snob.
I now own 6 TT, 2 Premiers, 2 ZCO, 3 S&B, 1 Kahles, 1 March, 1 NF.

TT is king. No doubt about it. So let's call them 100% as the baseline.

TT 100%. Everything about them is the best.
Premier 98% (only because they are discontinued)
ZCO 97% (Don't sweat the 36mm tube, there are a bunch of great mounting solutions)
S&B PMII 93% (THE origina "gold standard", but the 5-25×56 are known to tunnel between 5x-7x)
NF ATACR F1 85% (Great glass, but has features I HATE)
March FX 85% (High Master glass puts it this high, the regular glass is on par with NF NX8/NXS)
Kahles 84% (great durability and tracking, glass is significantly less impressive)
NF NX8 75% (great cheaper option)
This is one of the best takes I've read online in at least a couple years.

Kahles is a fine optic, but it doesn't belong in the conversation with TT or ZCO.
Now, there are things personally that I would change to make any of them perfect, but you're really starting to nit-pick at that point.
I sold my TT a couple years ago but a 7-35 is high on my list of wants. Id like to see another revision to their reticle line ups first.
I'm not sure I'll ever sell my 5-42 HighMaster, but only because the deal I got on it was probably something I'll never find again. Again, the reticle options don't impress me and unless they had something significantly better...I don't see any reason to change.
i really wish Nightforce would abandon their mag ring being fixed to the ocular housing. I like to have caps on all my optics and I HATE that I can't adjust without screwing up the placement of my Tenebraex cap.
I've had a pair of Gen3 Razors so far, sold one and traded another for an Element 6-36 and don't regret that trade at all. Just hate that fake purpleish color they cling to. I'll grab another when I can find a Pre-Owned EuroOptic exclusive in Black.
I'd say a MK5HD probably belongs in that 75% to 80% bracket as well.

I don't have a Professional but some differences between the Marksman and LRH:
Marksman - exposed turrets, multiple reticles available, 27.8 ounces
LRH - covered turrets pull the cap up and it locks in, you then dial and push the cap back down. so turrets aren't exposed to possibly spin. LRH reticle is a bolder reticle with mil dots. same weight as the M.
Scopes are identical length etc...

@lancetkenyon can go much further in depth than me.
I believe there are significant differences in the amount of elevation adjustment that is available, with the LRH having the least and the P having the most.

Some food for thought. Not perfect by any means but a good baseline, take it with a grain of salt, especially due to sample variation.

A little more on tt roots

Last edited: