Tangent Theta vs ZCO vs Schmidt vs Kahles

PapaSmurff

I'm in the market to purchase one of the following long range riflescopes; I already own a Kahles 5-25 and listed it so see how it might compare to the other 3 high end brands. I am liking everything about the ZCO except for the fact of it having a 36mm main tube. I would rather stay with 34mm main tube if possible so that narrows the comparison down to Tangent Theta and Schmidt Bender. I prefer the reticles in the Tangent Theta more so than Schmidt's reticles. But at the same time I know Schmidt is the golden standard for best long range rifle scope in the past. Tangent Theta and ZCO have phenominal customer support, not sure about customer support/warranty with Schmidt Bender? I feel as though the mechanics/elevation tracking will be impeccable with any of them so not really worried about that. What I think I wanna know most is which ones have the best glass, which has the best low light visability, etc. If any of my friends out there reading this owns any of those three and would like to offer some feedback I would greatly appreciate ya'll's opinions?

Thanks, Jon

I'm in the market to purchase one of the following long range riflescopes; I already own a Kahles 5-25 and listed it so see how it might compare to the other 3 high end brands. I am liking everything about the ZCO except for the fact of it having a 36mm main tube. I would rather stay with 34mm main tube if possible so that narrows the comparison down to Tangent Theta and Schmidt Bender. I prefer the reticles in the Tangent Theta more so than Schmidt's reticles. But at the same time I know Schmidt is the golden standard for best long range rifle scope in the past. Tangent Theta and ZCO have phenominal customer support, not sure about customer support/warranty with Schmidt Bender? I feel as though the mechanics/elevation tracking will be impeccable with any of them so not really worried about that. What I think I wanna know most is which ones have the best glass, which has the best low light visability, etc. If any of my friends out there reading this owns any of those three and would like to offer some feedback I would greatly appreciate ya'll's opinions?

Thanks, Jon
TT is a very good scope with great glass, ZCO - don't own but we know some with and not great reviews. S&B & Kahles are good.
You didn't list but Personally like NF ATACR #1 and Vortex Razor Gen III. #2.

TT is a very good scope with great glass, ZCO - don't own but we know some with and not great reviews. S&B & Kahles are good.
You didn't list but Personally like NF ATACR #1 and Vortex Razor Gen III. #2.
Thanks for the input Tracker, I do own some NF ATACR's and they are tough as nails for sure; very dependable scopes and my favorite brand. I own more ATACR's and NX-8's than any other scopes. I was just wanting to branch out and try something else with a little bit better picture quality/european glass quality image but also with very dependable click values. I talked to Ryan Pierce about this a while back and he said between ZCO and TT it was pretty close to a toss up but he liked a few things better about the TT. Thanks again for your input!

TT isn't known for being able to take a beating, neither is ZCO. S&B a little more so. I've got a ZCO 527 and an S&B 5-25 owned a Kahles 525 too…my next will be one of the new ultra shorts I think, I rarely shoot over 18 power. I do like the 10 mil turret option on the ZCO thoug, spaces the clicks out nicely. But the OG S&B with MTC turrets to me is still my favorite turret.

Don't rule the March scopes out of the equation, specifically their high master line. Have you seen any reviews by the dark lord of optics on snipershide? He does a good job not picking high end optics.
I value his inputs, but he seems to be of the budget mindset. Not knocking budget stuff (I own plenty budget gear) but he's a plastic KRG bravo, tikka kinda guy, not looking for necessarily the slickest action or the best optical clarity on glass, more form over function. He puts a premium on durability while some others may prefer/need the optical clarity. When I look at his reviews through that lens, I think it makes more sense.

I value his inputs, but he seems to be of the budget mindset. Not knocking budget stuff (I own plenty budget gear) but he's a plastic KRG bravo, tikka kinda guy, not looking for necessarily the slickest action or the best optical clarity on glass, more form over function. He puts a premium on durability while some others may prefer/need the optical clarity. When I look at his reviews through that lens, I think it makes more sense.
I appreciate both heat and quicksilver's thoughts! What I am looking for is the best optical glass quality and dependable turret tracking rolled into one (best of the best so to speak) for this rifle build. I keep imagining a NF ATACR and a Swarovski X5i having a baby lol. I found the clarity and light transmission of the Swarovski to be amazing, but the mechanics of the turrets are not dependable or tough enough for my liking. NF is tough as there is and turret tracking is terrific and dependable; just wishing they had the glass clarity/picture quality of the European or Canadian manufacturers. Schmidt Bender probably the toughest of the 3 I'm considering; probably just can't go wrong with Schmidt but I keep hearing how good the glass is on the TT and also in the ZCO. The DT ll+ MTC turrets on the Schmidt's also seems top of the line. When it's all said and done I'll probably end up with Schmidt but that's why I wanted to post on here and why most of us ask questions before purchasing. I really have appreciated y'all's opinions!

The turrets on the TT are top of the line. I only have the 3-15x50 but they are consistent, great feel, and positive clicks every time. Only bad part of all scopes nowadays is my 58 year old eyes sometimes can't pick out small numbers on turrets as well anymore.
We picked up a BULZ EYE PRO 20 years ago to screw on to the back of our Leupold VXIII. It was originally made from the "Norton Bomb Sights" in WWII Bombers. They use Optic Glass that is used in the Space Satellites. It helps seeing the reticle in scopes.

Attachments

• BULZ EYE 5.jpg
    BULZ EYE 5.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 68
  • BULZ EYE PRO 4.jpg
    BULZ EYE PRO 4.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 73
  • BULZ EYE PRO2.jpg
    BULZ EYE PRO2.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 71
  • BULZ EYE PRO3.jpg
    BULZ EYE PRO3.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 77
  • BULZ-EYE PRO 1.jpg
    BULZ-EYE PRO 1.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 69

Thanks, Jon
@lancetkenyon

TT>ZCO>S&B........>Kahles.

I am a self-aware glass snob.
I now own 6 TT, 2 Premiers, 2 ZCO, 3 S&B, 1 Kahles, 1 March, 1 NF.

TT is king. No doubt about it. So let's call them 100% as the baseline.

TT 100%. Everything about them is the best.
Premier 98% (only because they are discontinued)
ZCO 97% (Don't sweat the 36mm tube, there are a bunch of great mounting solutions)
S&B PMII 93% (THE origina "gold standard", but the 5-25×56 are known to tunnel between 5x-7x)
NF ATACR F1 85% (Great glass, but has features I HATE)
March FX 85% (High Master glass puts it this high, the regular glass is on par with NF NX8/NXS)
Kahles 84% (great durability and tracking, glass is significantly less impressive)
NF NX8 75% (great cheaper option)