ACTAR VS NXS VS Kahles 624

youngtrout

Hello

I'm in need on another scope, maybe 2. Currently running 3 different NXS. They have really served me well.

Really looking at the Actar 5-25 and the Kahles 624. The Kahles if I go FFP seems appealing, fairly light setup, can't really find any bad reviews on them. Not totally sure I want FFP though.

Also like the Actar, can get FFP or SFP, about 6 ounces heavier though. A buddy just got the F1 5-25, have not had the chance to look through it yet.

So looking for someone who has shot both Actar and the Kahles. Just wanted to see what you thought of them.

Purpose, mainly steel and hunting, all ranges. I have no local source for the Kahles, if I go that route I'd have to buy sight unseen.

I have the ATACR and have looked through the NXS and Kahles. The view from the ATACR is very nice. The Kahles might be a bit better but I didn't get to look at them side by side. The Kahles has the parallax adjustment under the elevation turret. Some of the Kahles models have the windage turret on the left side. So you'll want to consider that too.

There might be something in this write up to help your decision:
Best Tactical Scopes & Reticles - What The Pros Use - PrecisionRifleBlog.com

Ya, big difference I'm see is light transmission, length and weight.

The Actar is 1.3 inches shorter, but weighs about 6 ounces more.

Light transmission, the Kahles is advertised at 95% transmission, the actar is at 90%. That's what I see as the main difference.

NF glass has never blown me away, it's good, but not great when compared to some. But bulletproof, and the tracking has been spot on, and the reason I own 3 of them

So anybody put these side by side and compare image quality?

I had an Atacr on a since sold 300WM and currently have the kahles on my 7 WSM LR steel/hunting rifle. Size wise to me they we're a toss up as the extra length of the Kahles never bothered me. Light transmission while noticeable to my eyes that the kahles was better, it was only minutely so. Overall I prefer the Kahles for my uses but both are amazing scopes.

I wasn't a fan of having to remove the parallax knob to adjust the brightness of the illumination on the Atacr and also wasn't a fan of the Atacr power ring where the whole eyepiece rotates with power changes which messed with my preference to use flip up scope caps.

My preference to the kahles is due to mainly the lower weight but also I absolutely love that the parallax adjustment is under the elevation turret on the kahles as it gets it out of the way and minimizes the chance of it being bumped off its setting. The illumination is true rheostat style so one can choose how bright it is without preset locations like most others. The counter-clockwise turrets of the kahles feel more natural to me in use and I also really like the left sided windage as I primarily shoot this rifle prone so I can make adjustments without getting off the gun.

In the end it's really like Ford-vs- chevy and comes down to preference as both are very good scopes.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.