Switch to crossbow

trueblue

I have hunted with a recurve and compound for the last 20 years. Right now I am shooting a 388 gr arrow w/ hell raiser broad head at 264 FPS.
Thinking about getting a Ten Point crossbow. I will be able to pick up about 100 FPS with this setup.
I want to be able to take an elk out to 50-60 yards, so is it worth the cost to switch or not?

I have both the new Mathews and the reverse limb Horton or had that one. Loved it.
If you go the route of the crossbow I would highly recommend the reverse limb. Tenpoint has bought the rights to the Horton and it will be out in September. I have got to handle it quite a bit and it is a even better version. Hands down a better bow than the $1800 tenpoint they will try to sell you. If you really want to spend extra go scoyreped. Also as for distance I was not impressed and actually prefer my compound for longer shots. I did have much better luck after switching to a heavy darts and 125 hell raiser. Had a lot more punch at a distance even though I gave up speed.

Right now I am looking at either the Scorpyd Orion 150 or
the new Orion 135 Extreme Series shooting the AB200 Aero-Bolt w/ Aerovane2 and Ramcat broadheads, and Firenock.
Any feedback?

That bow should do the trick. I would recommend buying different weight Broad heads. Shoot them all to see which perform best at long range. When I jumped to 125gr and heavy darts it really came around at 50 yards.

the new Orion 135 Extreme Series shooting the AB200 Aero-Bolt w/ Aerovane2 and Ramcat broadheads, and Firenock.
Any feedback?

Scorpyd makes in my opinion the best crossbow out there. I love the reverse limb profile but its the balance that makes the RDT so nice.

I have 2 crossbows a scorpyd SLP 165 and a excalibur mega 405. I love both and shoot both often. I am sort of a crossbow nut.

Dorge does make a fine arrow but they are $$$. But remember this all scorpyds HAVE TO BE SHOT USING DORGES FIRENOCK. You will void warrenty if you dont use it from what I remember. I have been using his nocks from the beginning so it didn' t matter to me as I was already doing this.

Another arrow to check out is rapidly becoming my favorite arrows ars the zombie slayers. One of the top arrows to be had. Yes the name is corney but they are all that and a bag of chips. Also much less than Dorges arrows. I have a bunch of dorges arrows built by him but for whatever reason I seem to be getting better results making my own. Just go to your local store and get the spine marked and fletch your own. By either putting the cock vain on the spine or one the opposite side of the spine. Its trial and error but fun to make my own.

As far as ramcats go a lot and I mean a lot of people use them and like them but for me the blades bend a lot in a test target. Oh and yes you have to shoot your chosen BH (sorry if you already knew this but just incase) as ther can be significant change in POI from FP to BH. But the Ramcats do penetrate like nobody's business.

I think I have pretty much found my BH that will most likely be just about the last BH I will buy. Its NAP's FOC. It truely is a massive cut and when deployed in the right spot the animals dont go far and leave a blood trail anyone could follow.

This can get long so hope some of this helps and if you need more I fo please don't hesitate to ask.

Brian

Last edited:
Any feedback?

Oh another thing for just a FYI. The difference between the extreme and the standard orion is the cames and riser. New extreme cams are well...... extreme and the riser needs to be hmm I guess built up to handle the new cams. This is from what I understand at the moment to be true.

I went with the 135# Orion Extreme with Spynal Tapps at 22" / Slick Trick Std BH/ Hawke XB30 Pro scope.
Great set up, and 60 yards is no problem.

I went with the 135# Orion Extreme with Spynal Tapps at 22" / Slick Trick Std BH/ Hawke XB30 Pro scope.
Great set up, and 60 yards is no problem.

Trueblue. You cant get much better than that. Awesome setup for sure. The deer are in major trouble this year.

yup 60 yards is a duck shot.

when I upgrade my slp which a a few years older to the smaller orion I will be torn between the 135 and 160 extreme. Kind of leaning towards the 160.

best of luck with your new bow.

Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.