Which crossbow to buy?

I have a crank , but a decocker would be nice . I just shoot into a target after the hunt .
I just shoot a target head bolt into my target to uncock, forced practice is good for you! I have found that my Excalibur Exomax is a lot easier to cock if I lie down on my back and put both feet inside the limbs. Then I position my arms at the position where it normally cocks (using the cocking aid rope) and then push the bow with my feet until it cocks. The entire motion is done with the legs, not the arms. It is super easy. Work smarter, not harder.

My son just whacked this doe with the Excalibur yesterday. NAP Killzone 100 grain expandable. Entry on 1st pic. 2nd pic shows tip protruding.

Attachments

• 6972.jpeg
    6972.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 20221214_120459.jpg
    20221214_120459.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:
I just shoot a target head bolt into my target to uncock, forced practice is good for you! I have found that my Excalibur Exomax is a lot easier to cock if I lie down on my back and put both feet inside the limbs. Then I position my arms at the position where it normally cocks (using the cocking aid rope) and then push the bow with my feet until it cocks. The entire motion is done with the legs, not the arms. It is super easy. Work smarter, not harder.

My son just whacked this doe with the Excalibur yesterday. NAP Killzone 100 grain expandable. Entry on 1st pic. 2nd pic shows tip protruding.
It very easy to uncock a Excalibur bow....just put your cocker heads on the string both sides pull so only one end of string is back put foot in cocking loop....take off safety pull trigger and ease string down....
I know it works on my bow it will fire with out a arrow....don't know if the newer Excalibur bows have a safety and need a arrow to fire....

It very easy to uncock a Excalibur bow....just put your cocker heads on the string both sides pull so only one end of string is back put foot in cocking loop....take off safety pull trigger and ease string down....
I know it works on my bow it will fire with out a arrow....don't know if the newer Excalibur bows have a safety and need a arrow to fire....
Thanks for the tip on uncocking the Excalibur. If I ever don't have my target handy and want to uncock, I will use this method with the cocking aid cord. I have found mine is easy to cock if I lie on my back and put both feet inside the limbs and then hold the cocking aid cord at the position where it usually cocks if you stand up and draw it with your arms. But lying down, I just pull the cord up to where it usually cocks standing up and then push the bow with my legs only until it cocks. It is super easy since you don't have to pull the weight with your arms.

I do enjoy "uncocking" my Exomax by firing a target head into a target. It is a bullseye every time. Big confidence builder for deer.

I have an excalibur micro . it works great . I hate carrying it , these things are awkward to carry . I like the simplicity of it . I can uncock mine too . take the bolt (arrow) out . put the cocking rope on with all the rope to one side . pull that side of the rope while I push the Anti dryfire lever and squeeze the trigger with the other hand , let the rope down slowly . it is simple after you do it a couple times .

First try several for fit and weight balance. They can be weird fit to some. Triggers are everything with xbows. Try to shoot a few. Crank versus pulley assist is huge difference on shoulder pressure. Decocking with crank NBD like some said. Shoot into discharge bag with field point. Speed is just a marketing selling point. Heavier xbow arrows will still be faster than verticals, better penetration, helps quiet the xbow down a little, easier tuning no different than a compound. Its a bow not rifle so you cannot out run sound. Limb width measurement may be considered for tree stands or even pop up blinds. All xbow arrows will have some lighted nock options.

The biggest overlook is the scope. Scopes that have adjustment for velocity are huge improvement over those that only adjust POI for initial sight in. Worth the extra money so you can adjust for changes in arrow total mass and velocity.

String and cable maintenance is significantly more that a vertical to keep the strings and cables true. You will wish you did when time to buy new ones that are typically more expensive than compounds.

Just understand ALL xbows are LOUD and deer still can duck. I quieted down my Stryker 380 by going to heavier FMJ's and adding Simms limb dampeners. I haven't used it in couple years since Hoyt made me new lower poundage limbs for my DoubleXL so I can still shoot it with trashed right shoulder which I prefer.

I just have a Red Dot sight on mine , scopes being illegal in Colorado . Sighted it in at 20 , 40 and 60 to the arrow weight . I use 150 grain Wasp fixed broadheads with a combine arrow weight of 505 . I don't see no reason to change .
The trigger is one thing I don't like about the M370 , and it is loud . I tried dampers , but it didn't make much difference .

I've been shooting Excalibur for years now. They're simple u can change your own string in the field if u need to. I able to shoot field points and grim reaper broadheads together out to 50 yards. I have a personal max of 40yards tho. I have a micro 340

Being so simple was one of the reasons I bought a Excalibur bow....I hunt in a wilderness area transportation is by 4 wheeler and usually by snowmobile in December plus crossbows must be uncocked and in a case to transport....theres not a lot of room to put arrow shooting bag on a snowmobile.....most of the trails are just wide enough for the snowmobile....
A crossbow in a case takes up all the room on my snowmobile....

I bought my first Xbow this year, and after suggestions and research decided on the TenPoint S1 Turbo. It has the decock feature, about 380 fps so not very loud, it's very accurate out to 60 yds. so far, and far less wear/tear than the speed machines that rip through servings/strings etc...

I got the upgraded package deal through Wyvern, and am very happy with the set up...haven't hunted with it yet.

I have had an invader 400 & my wife has a G3 ($250) Wicked ridge by ten point - for the money they can't be beat. not sure on customer service but they are made in Ohio
The G3 my wife & 90lb daughter can pull cock its 360 / 370 fps - the invader 400 no wife & daughter could not pull cock keep that in mind.

here is my 2 cents
I would HIGHLY suggest rather than being told what to buy or recommended, Go to a few local shops and SHOOT a bunch of X bows,
they like rifles do NOT all fit everyone the same, have features everyone likes
or, are as user friendly or as LOUD or balance as well as others.
there is NO shortage of GOOD X bows on the market and prices can be from low to crazy high
I wouldn;t get super hung up on speeds either,, just learn the drop and your limits! and stay in them!

As none of them are faster than the speed of sound, so, ALL can be shot and have a deer hear and react to them,
which is also why I suggest SHOOTING several models to HEAR the differences between them! in sound of firing, triggers, and how much effort is needed or NOT to load and the noise involved tom load and Unload them!

the one thing I will suggest also is, TRY and shoot a few Reverse limb bows over just the traditional design limb bow
as for me, and this is MY personal experience(40+yrs of archery experience here)
is I find they BALANCE weight way better and I find them more enjoyable to carry and hunt with!

pretty much all the name brands make GOOD X bows, liability fears of law suits and lawyers force them to be safe too, HAHA!

but will only be as safe as the user, and how well they stay on top of basic PM"S and basic care of them! (waxing replacing of strings and so on)
some X bows wear strings out WAY faster than others and , should; be replaced as needed,
its one of the most common things I used to see when I had my shop (and my friends bow shops) and folks brought them, in, way past due to be replaced!
there is a TON of energy on them strings YR round and much more so when loaded!
not a pretty sight when they fail!

LOL deer hear them regardless of the price & my experience you get one shot make it count ;) not like a rifle at 400yds deer stand there looking around ;)
The wife and I had a fun season this year, my son bagged my archery buck opening day of rifle season LOL my screwup during archery LMAO glad he bagged it, was concerned it was lost.

Recent Posts