swift scirricco internal damage

moosehead7

How does the swift scirricco compare to the tsx as far as expansion, internal damge, exit holes, and overall performance close and far range when fired a real high velocities. Thanks.

I shot the Swift, Accubond and Barnes 7mm bullets in a comparison from the same rifle, same brass same day, same load, same, same , etc. 7mm. test was 3/4 plywood soaked in water for several days and ballistic gelatin behind the plywood. The load was above average due to the rifle being freebored and the bullet seated to longer than sammi specs. I PUSHED THESE HARD. Impact was at 25 yds, 300 yds, and just short of 500 yds. The Barnes penetrated the most at all ranges. At 25 yds the Barnes ripped 3 petals off and the bullet tumbled through the gelatin. The Swift was ripped apart and was in pieces, no measurable weight retention, 20% of the penetration compared to the Barnes. The Accubond was 25% weight retention with 60% of the penetration of the Barnes. 300yds . The Swift had 70% weight retention and had a nice cavity in the gelatin. The accubond had 83% weight retention and penetrated further than the Swift. not much but 4in is 4in. The Barnes 100% weight retention and penetrated the most. 500yds got real interesting. The Barnes again penetrated the most and had 100% weight retention, sounds good but the wound channel was the smallest out of all 3 tested. The accubond had 93% weight retention and had the largest wound channel, But it did not penetrate as deep as the Swift. The Swift had 88% weight retention a smaller wound channel than the Accubond but a larger wound channel than the Barnes. Now for the rest of the story. I tried to go to 750 yds. the bullets are made difrently enough that the POI is enough that it would take a larger sheet of wood/ gelatin. Let me translate, MUCHO MONEY. I also tried the AMAX and the plywood ripped it apart, 2in of total penetration. I am going to redo the test next week with the Partition , Berger, and Cutting Edge bullets.

I have used both the Barnes tsx and the swift sciroccos but not the accubonds. Both 180gr pills from a 300rum. The sciroccos made an appox. 1" entrance with the lungs and heart non Existent with an exit in opposite side. Barnes would do the same thing internally but 1 out of the 2 deer bullet was recovered. I can't seem to find that bullet at the moment. I have shot many deer with the sciroccos and never had one take another step. The two deer I've shot with the Barnes made it all of 15-20 yards.

Here are a few 225gr Barnes tsx shot from a 338 win mag I've recovered from elk.

Left to right, 700 yds, 550 yds, 200 yds

All three were lung heart shots.

image.jpg

I really wanted to like the sirocco II bullets, but my 7mm Rem Mag X-Bolt just don´t like them. Group Sizes go from 1.5"- 2¨@100yds. I switched to Hornady InterBond and shoot consistently 0.75¨- 1¨groups.
As far as internal damage, never shot a deer with the swift bullets, but Interbonds perform really nice. The last deer I shot ran about 25 yds but I can´t explain myself How in the world did that happened. There were pieces of lung and heart all over the spot where I shot him.

Attachments

• IMG_0729.jpg
    IMG_0729.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0730.jpg
    IMG_0730.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0728.jpg
    IMG_0728.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 36
Looks like alot of meat damage to me...I mean, not putting down your bullet choice, but that's some gnarly exit wound.

I shoot a 7mm RemMag A-Bolt II as my primary deer rifle, as well. But I've never had one blow out that bad. How close was it to you when you shot it?

My little .257 Wby with 110 Accubonds slipped right through the ribs on both sides. Virtually 0 meat damage. Both lungs, and heart were unidentifiable...

I love that caliber. :D

Cant' wait to see what these Berger 115 VLD's are gonna do out of it this year. I know the Accubonds work perfectly.

Runner,

I'm about to start loading for my 257. I may need some of your expertise on it if you don't mind. I have some Bergers and Barnes. No accubonds.
I just polished and sized some brass so I will start soon. Interesting, I resized the brass and felt nothing in the press when sizing factory 1 time shot rounds. Is that normal??
ALS what powder you using?

Thanks

Mario

Ps. Nice STw on the site!!!

I hit this deer somewhere around 200yds and my X-bolt sends the bullets @ 3215 fps.

I shoot 300gr Otm´s out of my .338 EDGE @ 2715 fps and the entry and exit wounds are very small for my taste. I took down a doe @ 170yds and the exit wound was a little under 1". It ran away about 80-90 yds even though internal damage was quite impressive.
Also took down a buck @ 350yds with it. This one dropped on it´s tracks and same there. No noticeable entry wound and under 1" exit.

Attachments

• IMG_0645.jpg
    IMG_0645.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0649.jpg
    IMG_0649.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 58
prieto it looks like the shot was a bit high and even might have hit the back bone. About any bullet is going to tear up meat placed like that. Id bet if that shot was only 4 inches lower there would have been little to no meat damage.

Runner,

I'm about to start loading for my 257. I may need some of your expertise on it if you don't mind. I have some Bergers and Barnes. No accubonds.
I just polished and sized some brass so I will start soon. Interesting, I resized the brass and felt nothing in the press when sizing factory 1 time shot rounds. Is that normal??
ALS what powder you using?

Thanks

Mario

Ps. Nice STw on the site!!!
I certainly wouldn't call it expertise.....But I'll defintiely help where I can. :D

I love the 110 Accubonds, and they are awsome on whitetails.

I am going to shoot 1 or 2 with the 115 VLD's this year to see how they perform on them.

Not sure what's goin on with your dies if you didn't feel anything... Are they set deep enough.

I have used 19, 22, and H1000, but I have found that I really tend to prefer H1000 in all my magnum calibers.

I am not mistaken I am using 70.0gr of H1000 behind the 115 VLD's, and I have them seated to about 0.005" shy of the internal magazine length. Since mine is a Weatherby Accumark rifle, it has lots of freebore so the only advantage to seating depth is that it allows me to load a little hotter to relieve pressure on the case.

I really wanted to like the sirocco II bullets, but my 7mm Rem Mag X-Bolt just don´t like them. Group Sizes go from 1.5"- 2¨@100yds. I switched to Hornady InterBond and shoot consistently 0.75¨- 1¨groups.
As far as internal damage, never shot a deer with the swift bullets, but Interbonds perform really nice. The last deer I shot ran about 25 yds but I can´t explain myself How in the world did that happened. There were pieces of lung and heart all over the spot where I shot him.

I've had heart shot travel 75 yards after being hit. its all about how excited they were before being shot.

Load is 150g sciroco 7mm mag, 68 g RL22, 3280 fps, Browning a bolt2 26" brl. 3/4 groups. I have killed around 15 elk with it. Furthest at 500. Bullets have entered with1/2 hole exited with 1.5" hole out to 500. If I hit large bones the bullets stop. I have recovered 2 with great expansion. Most are through and through.

I just loaded some 130gr SSII for my .264 win mag. Lets see if the rifle likes them. Hopefully I can try them on game this season. If groups are not at least 1" I´ll switch to HIB too. So far my .243 win X-Bolt seems to like the 90gr SSII but never tried them on game either.

Im not really a fan of either. I do use tssx bullets in a couple of my rifles but i use them in them because they shot so much better then any other load not because i think i need them. For the most part id prefer using a cup and core bullet in those guns. As to scirriccos ive wasted my money on probably 10 boxes of them and ive shot them in just about every gun i have in the safe and never found a load in any of them that was really exceptional. Most were down right bad. I gave up on them last year and wont buy another box. there just to expensive to buy and find out they wont shoot in a gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.