Swarovski EL 42 vs EL 32

Wisner74

Gentleman,

Yesterday I purchased the EL 10 x 42 Swarovision bino's and was as happy as a clam. As soon as I put them around my neck I could really feel the 29 oz weight. I spent all yesterday and today looking through them and come to the conclusion they seem a bit heavy.

I am thinking of returning them for the EL 10 x 32 as they only weigh 21 oz. On the specs it says I will be loosing on the twilight factor and exit pupil diameter.

My question is, does anyone have any experience with the 10 x 32? how are they in low light conditions. I know 8 oz is a big difference when it is around your neck walking up a mountain. I am just looking for some advise on this.

Stick with the 10x42s. Both are phenominal binos, but yours have the edge when light is very poor - that'll be first and last light of the day when the deer are showing.

Purchase a decent aftermarket chest carrying rig and much of the weight will be distributed off the neck and the binos will also be carried more securely.

You've got to try a pair of Leica Geovids if you think swaro ELs are heavy!

Thanks, I went down to sportsman warehouse, took mine and their el 32 outside right as it was getting dark and you could really tell the difference, big time. I have decided to keep the 42 and get the chest strap as you said.

I had the 42s and held them on a mount w/32 and could hardly tell the diff. I traded them for the 32s. Had them for several yrs now, both are great, I also have the doubler

i carry the 10x50's now there is some weight but wont sacrifice the light gathering. i think they actually create light.
mike

I have the 10X42 ELs and love them. with a good harness system they are not too heavy. I never had the EL 10x32, but I did have the swaro slc 8x30 and they were a very nice compact bino, but in low light they did not perform well at all.

The 10x42s are GREAT hunting binoculars. In my mind the 32 mm models are not even hunting binoculars as they do not work well when most game animals are moving. As others have mentioned, carry them on a shoulder/chest system so the weight is off your neck. I have the 10x42s and they are the lightest binoculars I carry. (I have heavier binoculars.)

I did give my dad a pair of 10x32s — for use in his living room when he wants to see what his cattle are doing. He was very pleased, but he doesn't care about twilight performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts