Swarovski EL 10x32 vs 10x42?

Murf45

I've looked trought both binoculars in the store and both look amazing. I can't really see any difference between the 32 and 42. According to the website FOV @ 1000 yds there's only 10 yd difference... My question is if anybody has actually used both the 10x42 and the 10x32 in the field, and if so do the 42's have any real edge over the 32's at low light or in any other area? I want to use them for hunting in SD, WY, & CO areas.

I've looked trought both binoculars in the store and both look amazing. I can't really see any difference between the 32 and 42. According to the website FOV @ 1000 yds there's only 10 yd difference... My question is if anybody has actually used both the 10x42 and the 10x32 in the field, and if so do the 42's have any real edge over the 32's at low light or in any other area? I want to use them for hunting in SD, WY, & CO areas.

I've not used these two side by side, but have used the Leica Ultravid 10x32 alongside my EL 10x42's numerous evenings on the mountainside and been unable to detect an advantage of one over the other as the light fades. But, the EL 10x42's were more comfortable to hold than the tiny Leicas. But there's not much difference in weight or size between the EL 42 mm vs 32mm like there is in the Leica's correct? I'd have a tough time judging between the EL's on this one since you cant make the claim that the 32's are significantly lighter or smaller, or more comfortable to hold. BUt I bet theres very little difference between the two in low light preformance in the real world, I certainly couldnt detect any between the 32 Leicas and the 42 EL's excepting the weight and size.

Last edited:
The reason I'm asking is because I was looking for a swaro EL 10x42, but found a pair of hardly used 10x32 EL's for a pretty good deal. I just wanted to know whether or not I should stay away from the 32's and look for a 42 especially if I'm going to spend that much money.

The reason I'm asking is because I was looking for a swaro EL 10x42, but found a pair of hardly used 10x32 EL's for a pretty good deal. I just wanted to know whether or not I should stay away from the 32's and look for a 42 especially if I'm going to spend that much money.

Well... put in that light... I'd jump on the deal. Theres so minute a difference between those 10x32 liecas and my 10x42 els that I know I couldnt tell the difference unless I had them side by side, and even then, its a question of "Maybe" being able to effectively spot in the same conditions an extra minute or two, not 20 or 30 minutes like the difference between either of these and my buddies leupolds that we find regularly.

Well... put in that light... I'd jump on the deal. Theres so minute a difference between those 10x32 liecas and my 10x42 els that I know I couldnt tell the difference unless I had them side by side, and even then, its a question of "Maybe" being able to effectively spot in the same conditions an extra minute or two, not 20 or 30 minutes like the difference between either of these and my buddies leupolds that we find regularly.

If memory serves me correctly the 10x32's are like a half or three quarters of an inch more compact, and something like 2 ounces lighter... that cant be a bad thing either... a deal on swaros is hard to find... I'd jump on it.

I have used both the 10x32 and 10x42 (my father has the 32 and I have the 42). There is a bit of a difference in low light. However, both are phenomenal pieces. The lighter weight of the 32s definitely makes a difference when carrying them for extended periods. I concur that they are close enough optically, that if you have a deal on the 32s you should jump on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.