Swarovski Binos - EL vs SLC

Buffalobob

Given the same magnification and objective lens is there any real world difference between the SLC and the EL? There seems to be a large price difference but I cannot figure out what I would get for the extra money

Big differance. The differance here is brightness. How much brighter is worth the extra $$ is up to the consumer. For me they were worth it. I use my EL's for a while and then use my cousins SLC's and it takes me 15 minutes for my eyes to adjust to them after using the EL's for an hour. After using his for an hour and then going back to the EL's, its like ahhhhhhh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif No eye adjustments needed.

Plus they are a heck of a lot lighter for us sheep hunters.

The bottom line is this: You most likely will not "miss" an animal if your using SLC's and not EL's. They are both awesome. The EL's offer slightly more brightness and with this comes a slightly clearer picture. This is also slightly easier on ones eyes if your glassing all day. Thats not to say that the SLC's will give you a head ache cause they wont. They are however much lighter than the SLC's. It up to you. If you want the best glasses in the world, get the SLC's or other comparable brand and model. If you want the best of the best in the world, go with the EL's or Ultravid or similar.

Good luck!!

I totally agree. After checking out all the good ones. I bought the ELs and have never looked back. I'm saving a fortune as I see the new prices every year!

I have a pair of Swaros SLC 10X50 that I bought before I bought my pair of Swaro EL 10X42. I will attempt to offer a short comparative analysis on these two models.

The 10X50 SLC model is superb! They are very ergonomically designed and very comfortable in the hands for long hours of glassing. If you are stationary and glassing for quarry this is the model to go with. The SLCs are of aluminum construction.

The Swaro EL 10X42 are the go to glass if you are packing, walking, and climbing! The ELs are without peer in brightness, quality, and clarity. They indeed are superb and worth every nickel of their over-priced self! The ELs are of magnesium construction and much lighter than the SLC series.

I own several pair of binoculars, and if I could only have ONE PAIR (God forbid) it would be the Swaro ELs hands down. That said...when weight isn't a consideration, such as when I'm sitting in a tripod stand watching a TX sendero that goes way out yonder I will choose the big SLC 10X50 pair over the 10X42 ELs because the image is a wee bit brighter due to the slightly larger objective lens of this pair of SLCs.

If you compare the 10X42 SLC model against the 10X42 El model then you can REALLY the difference between the SLC series and the Els.

[ QUOTE ]
I have a pair of Swaros SLC 10X50 that I bought before I bought my pair of Swaro EL 10X42. I will attempt to offer a short comparative analysis on these two models.

The 10X50 SLC model is superb! They are very ergonomically designed and very comfortable in the hands for long hours of glassing. If you are stationary and glassing for quarry this is the model to go with. The SLCs are of aluminum construction.

The Swaro EL 10X42 are the go to glass if you are packing, walking, and climbing! The ELs are without peer in brightness, quality, and clarity. They indeed are superb and worth every nickel of their over-priced self! The ELs are of magnesium construction and much lighter than the SLC series.

I own several pair of binoculars, and if I could only have ONE PAIR (God forbid) it would be the Swaro ELs hands down. That said...when weight isn't a consideration, such as when I'm sitting in a tripod stand watching a TX sendero that goes way out yonder I will choose the big SLC 10X50 pair over the 10X42 ELs because the image is a wee bit brighter due to the slightly larger objective lens of this pair of SLCs.

If you compare the 10X42 SLC model against the 10X42 El model then you can REALLY the difference between the SLC series and the Els.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have both the SLC's and the EL's so I feel that I can be non-bias on the topic. the SLC's are a bit heavier to pack around all day, but not a big deal. the EL's have slightly better optics, but not noticeable in most situations. the focus wheel is much better on the SLC's than the EL's. I LOVE my EL's but if I had to do it over again knowing what I know now, I would be happy with my SLC's and put my fun money elsewhere.
UB

Thanks everybody.

You answered not only the question I asked but the question that was in my mind about the SLC 10X50's. Onehsot pretty much sealed the deal with his story about using them to spot the deer he shot at 1400 yds.

Having owned both at the same time.........I also too feel that I can be unbiased on the matter. Now keep in mind that the SLC's were 7x42's and the EL's 8.5x42's. With that being said.....I used, compared and hunted with both for awhile trying to decide which pair to keep? I came to believe and still do,...that the SLC's were a weeeee bit brighter and sharper. Now, I know that is probably due to the increase in exit pupil on the 7x42's? Me being a self proclaimed "have to have the best" type person, I kept the EL's. Now......I paid $500 more for the EL's than I did the SLC's at the time. Do I think they are worth the additional $500, well..............that one is still undecided? I just keep thinking of what other toy I could have spent the extra $500 on? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Now to stir things up a bit! I have been pondering over a pair of the new Leica Ultravids. That is until today! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
I have a pair of Leica Trinovids 10x42BN's that I use from time to time. I used them on a trip Texas here a couple months ago and long story short.......I stumbled and fell with them around my neck. No big fall or tumble, just slipped down. When I did hit the ground craddling my rifle, the binos hit my rifle stock. No big deal I thought...not a mark on the binos anywhere! Well....after getting myself up and dusted off, I noticed something rolling around inside the right barrel of the binos? Turned them over and could see a screw and spring rolling around loose inside and the binos would not focus?
Anyway......called Leica repair and told them the story and sent them in to them for a look? Three weeks later I get a repair quote in the mail for $225 + $12.50 for return postage!!!!
I called them today and expressed my disbelief of the charges they quoted me for a screw that had not broken but backed out. They pretty much said that....."that was the cost" and it was up to me? I explained that I have owned many Leica products in the past and had just purchased one of their new Compact RF's, but they did'nt really seem to care. I explained that the charge just seemed too high since they were not replacing any broken parts, just opening the one barrel, reinserting the screw, re setting colimation and purging them. Well.........you guessed it, the price stayed the same! Anyway..........I will no longer buy any Leica products. Well..........off my soap box now! sorry for the rainting.......just and FYI I guess?

I went shooting once with the western field rep of Swarovski and I asked him about the new EL's and whether I should trade my SLC's in on the new model. He said that for what I do (hunt dang near everything all year long) I should get the Swaro bright coated SLC's because they have a stronger hinge and a better focus wheel. EL's are lighter, but the newer SLC's have the same coatings as the EL's. The EL's do have an extra lens that is supposedly better for color abberation but danged if I could see any difference.

I think if I were buying some new binos, I would get the 10x50 SLC's. They are a touch heavier but you don't even notice you have binos on if you wear them on a bino system.

I went to the pro shop and came home with the EL's. I looked threw both the 10x42 slc and el. The way the el's fit in my hand and small weight differance sold me. I think that almost anyone would be happy with either though. If I knew how to delete my other topic I would. This one answered my question much better in the end.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.