Swarovski BTX - Let's Talk

azsugarbear

Just saw the press release. It looks like a great piece of kit - but the $2800 price tag sucked all the air out of my lungs. For those of us that spend a lot of time behind the spotting scope, this BTX is a fantastic idea. I just can't justify the price.

What are your thoughts? Am I missing something here? Are there other things to consider?

I haven't heard about this until this post. To me it looks great, big glass is not cheap, especially when it weighs less than a boat anchor. I hunt with, and pack around, a set of highlanders. I'm always trying to save weight. It looks like a huge weight savings to me. I have been following the recent spotting scope set up for, iirc, 65mm Swarovski spotters set up as binos. Big eyes have been options for a while, but I've never trusted their ruggedness and collimation abilities. The BTX looks like it is quite the weight savings over the highlanders. My tripod weighs 7lbs, highlanders are almost 14, you need a stool, and I can't hunt without a rifle. I'm up to 32lbs with no pack, food, water 10s anything. I will definatly be looking for reviews.

I don't feel the price is too crazy. It's Swarovski so it is definitely expensive but it is only $400 more for the new BTX eye piece than for the original eye pieces. Personally I think they are a great option as far as big eyes go. Seems to me they beat Kowas in every way as long as you go with the 95mm body.

I used a set of Highlanders from time to time guiding. Optically they are an amazing tool. They are heavy as all get out though. I already have a 95mm STX so this could be a game changer.

I know it is a great piece of kit. I have the 80 STX, so this is a possibility for me. I just have a hard time justifying the $2800 cost just for some eye strain relief. I use some Swaro 15x56 binos for covering the hillsides, so the 80 STX doesn't get used as much as it otherwise would.

I was able to look through a set the other day. The Swarovski rep had some set up at the local Sportsman's Warehouse. I used the 95mm objective lens. I only spent a couple minutes with them. They were definitely crisp and clear. They acted different than binoculars, in the way both images worked together. It wasn't a bad thing, but different to me. To me they seemed a little dark. I don't know if that's my head playing tricks on me because they are gathering less light with one lens. We were looking about 4-500yds into shade as well. I was standing up using a tripod that was too flimsy and did not have anything I am used to there to compare against. It was hardly a field test, but they are real and they definitely have some potential I wasn't prepared to spend some time and be objective. I acted just like my wife when she walks by the puppy store in the mall. The rep said they weigh in at 6lbs with the 95mm objective.

bringing this one back to the top. I think the price isn't all that bad considering the price of just a regular eyepiece and the fact that the alternative is a lot heavier. My cousin is looking at getting a set so I will hold onto my zeiss until I can look thru his.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.