Lets talk Binocs and rangfinders

bryguy

Looking to upgrade both my binocs and my rangefinder. I have Nikon Monarch 8x42s that I have had for close to 10 years or so now. Have served me well, but am wanting to step up. If I had unlimited funds, I would go with Leica or Swaro. But alas, I do not, so I have about $500 to spend on binocs. I am looking at these:
Vortex Optics Talon HD 8x42 Roof Prism Binocular FREE S&H TLN-4208-HD. Vortex Binoculars.
Any one have any experience or is there another brand to look at? I could also go with the Vipers for a little more $$$. Are there any others I could look at in my price range?

As for range finders, I have a bushnell yardage pro that finally crapped out on my after several years of use. I am looking at the Leica CRF 1600 to replace it. This is at the top of my budget, so anything more expensive is a no go. Is this the best range finder out there for less than $700? Thanks for the help guys, and assisting me in spending my hard earned money......:D:D

My friend has a Vortex binocs, I do not remember the model but it is very nice and he's very happy with it.

Cameralandny.com (Cameras, Binoculars, Spotting Scopes, Rifle Scopes - Camera Land NY) is a site sponsor and they have the Leica CRF 1600 Rangemaster for $650.

I have the 1600 and have ranged beyond 2000 yards ... I'm very pleased with it to say the least. IMHO, best RF for under $1K (except for probably the new B model)

You might also want to check on the binocs made by Minox.

Good luck!

Ed

+1 on the Lieca RF. I would consider used on the bino to get into a better set, I wish I had some older modles that I sold to upgrade,for my son

Doug is a great guy, have dealt with him on a couple of items before. I am a little leery of used binocs, given my luck with used items in the past. I will check out the minox's when I get a chance.....

Just my non-expert opinion:

The Vortex are good optics, especially after you move up the line a little. I have a pair of the Viper's in 15X50 and they are great for the price.

The Leica is a great RF, I got a good deal on a Zeiss Victory PRF 1200 and am very happy with it.

Have you considered just buying a second hand pair of geovids or the zeiss binocs with the rangefinder built in? I got to use a buddies pair of zeiss last fall and it beat the heck out of having to deal with bino's and a rangefinder.

1200 will almost buy you a set of clean used geovids if you're patient.

Have you considered just buying a second hand pair of geovids or the zeiss binocs with the rangefinder built in? I got to use a buddies pair of zeiss last fall and it beat the heck out of having to deal with bino's and a rangefinder.

1200 will almost buy you a set of clean used geovids if you're patient.
Given my luck, I am kind of hesitant to buy used, There is no warranty with a used set, unless purchased from an authorized dealer, and then it is only a one year warranty.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts