BTX 12x50 Combo?

nooch2222

Anyone running the BTX and 12x50 Combo? If so how are you liking it? I currently use the Swaro 10's, 15's 95mm and 65mm STX combo. Sold the 10's already and now debating selling the 15's and buying the 12's and the BTX eyepiece.

Hey nooch2222,

I don't currently have 12x50s but I do have everything else you list plus the BTX with the 115mm so I thought I would weigh in.

The glass I'm using at the moment depends on 1) what I'm hunting and 2) where. If I'm within a reasonable distance from the truck and I'm day hunting, I usually pack my 15's and the BTX. I start my day with the 15's at first light and it seems to cover everything close to 2 miles out and maybe even more in the right conditions. I don't typically go to the BTX until I see something that warrants a closer look or later in the morning when glassing minor details such as ear flicks or outlines of deer in the shadows become critical. My issue is the BTX has a narrow field of view inside of a couple of miles (my opinion) and I can cover more ground faster with the 10's. I was in Mexico hunting sheep and coues deer two weeks ago and the 15's and BTX combo felt perfect for those conditions.

If I am backpack hunting I carry 10's and a 65mm STX setup just to conserve weight. I have never been on a backpack hunt where I felt under powered and missed animals because my glass was inadequate. I did take the BTX on one backpack hunt and I found myself spending too much time glassing stuff way off instead of picking the basin I was in apart before peaking over into the next one and repeating.

All that said, I do plan to transition away from the 10's and 15's to the 12x42 NL Pure so I can stop obsessing about which glass to bring on a trip. Moving forward I'm going to use the 12's for everything and then switch between the BTX/115 and the STX/65 depending on how far I have to carry it.

In summary, I like where you're heads at and where you're headed. I think you'll be pleased with that setup.

Hope that helps,
CLP

Hey nooch2222,

I don't currently have 12x50s but I do have everything else you list plus the BTX with the 115mm so I thought I would weigh in.

The glass I'm using at the moment depends on 1) what I'm hunting and 2) where. If I'm within a reasonable distance from the truck and I'm day hunting, I usually pack my 15's and the BTX. I start my day with the 15's at first light and it seems to cover everything close to 2 miles out and maybe even more in the right conditions. I don't typically go to the BTX until I see something that warrants a closer look or later in the morning when glassing minor details such as ear flicks or outlines of deer in the shadows become critical. My issue is the BTX has a narrow field of view inside of a couple of miles (my opinion) and I can cover more ground faster with the 10's. I was in Mexico hunting sheep and coues deer two weeks ago and the 15's and BTX combo felt perfect for those conditions.

If I am backpack hunting I carry 10's and a 65mm STX setup just to conserve weight. I have never been on a backpack hunt where I felt under powered and missed animals because my glass was inadequate. I did take the BTX on one backpack hunt and I found myself spending too much time glassing stuff way off instead of picking the basin I was in apart before peaking over into the next one and repeating.

All that said, I do plan to transition away from the 10's and 15's to the 12x42 NL Pure so I can stop obsessing about which glass to bring on a trip. Moving forward I'm going to use the 12's for everything and then switch between the BTX/115 and the STX/65 depending on how far I have to carry it.

In summary, I like where you're heads at and where you're headed. I think you'll be pleased with that setup.

Hope that helps,
CLP
Thank you for the response. That is exactly what I've been going through in my head. I'm just finding it hard to get rid of my 15's being I've never looked through 12's.

Thank you for the response. That is exactly what I've been going through in my head. I'm just finding it hard to get rid of my 15's being I've never looked through 12's.
If you come through Payson let me know and you can look through my EL 12s. I've got a buddy with a BTX as well that I'm sure we can all meet up and you can give them a try.

If you come through Payson let me know and you can look through my EL 12s. I've got a buddy with a BTX as well that I'm sure we can all meet up and you can give them a try.
I will definitely take you up on that offer. I'll pm you in a few and grab your phone number. Thank you

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.