Surprising results 210vld 300win mag

blackbriar

It had taken me a while to find the products to reload with. My load for 300 win mag is 77g of h1000, Berger hunting 210vld, Winchester primers, Norma brass,(With this load I could hit tennis balls at 700 yards) I had to settle for Hornady brass in the end.

I loaded my rounds and went to sight in my rifle,(As I had taken my Nightforce scope off for a while and I hadn't shot the rifle in 18 months)
I knew the rounds should be doing 2888 fps as my shooter app still had my load loaded on it. With the scope zeroed at 100y with all rounds touching, 200y should be 1.25 MOA change.With this load is .75. change not 1.25 at 200y so I played around with the speeds and the app says it should be doing 3235 fps which sounds impossible for a 210 to do out of a 300 win mag.

So I drove to the washoe county range in NV, put out the target at 100y and it was spot on, 200y with a 1.25 MOA it was high with .75 all rounds are touching, I was hitting all gongs out to 956y with 1st round hits with 3235 fps as my speed in the app.

Whats sort of drops are people getting for a 300 win with 210?

Welcome to LRH!:) 3235 fps with 210s in a win mag sounds REALLY HOT to me but hey if the drops work and the bolt opens without problems and the case heads don't look like they were smashed in a press from pressure then that's awesome! By the way hitting tennis balls at 700 yds is quite a claim I would really like to see that!:)

You're not doing 3235 FPS with 77grs if H1000. There's an error in there somewhere.

My 300 WM with 215's and 79 gr of H1000 is at 3000 fps. Don't think it can be going 3235 fps. That is faster than a RUM. Are your hits high/low? It is weird that you are hitting all the way out to almost 1000 yds using that speed.

I know it doesn't make sense, but that's the drop and it hits where shooter app says
No sticky bolt, even with fire formed brass, primers look OK and case neck look OK too.
I re set my data in the app when I was at the range in NV.

Bullet Dia: 308
bulet weight:210
Bullet length:1.4590
Muzzle Volcity:eek:ld speed 2888, new speed that's matches shot placement 3235
Atmos: ICOA
Drag: G1
BC: 0.6310
Zero range: 100Y
Altitude: 4021ft
Baro.press: 29.920
Temp: 60f
Humidty: 28%

This was from weather station via APP

NV 3 shot group 200y (sticker was from the berger box not sure why it was in there 1st one i have come across)
image1.jpg
1st 5 shot group at 200y
image2.jpg

It doesn't matter what your app says. Get a good chronograph. I have tried very charge from 75 to 79grs of H1000 in various cases and the most I've seen is 3000 FPS.

I agree ^^^. Get a good chrono and chronograph your rifle loads. That is the only way to know precisely what your velocities are. I recommend the MagnetoSpeed. I have had my MSv2 since 2014, and it's been the best chrono I've used.

The one thing that I am curious about is your zero. Is it spot on? I see your 200y group is a bit high in the pic. You said 100y was still right on as your zero. If I read correctly you had this load before and kept everything the same except the brass. By changing this component I would think the load results would change some. Should be a bit of a diff in vel and poi. My thinking is both. My thinking is you may need to set down and carefully re zero. Did you check poi on the down range targets? You said that you were able to hit them, but I wonder if the impacts were high or low on those targets. My guess is that some were high and some were low as the range extended.

So the only way to get everything perfect for the ballistic app is a spot on zero and MV. It can be done with perfect poi data and the corresponding come ups to get those poi.

In the end if your shooting solution works, use it. Lots of guys out there still doing it with a note book and a pencil.

Steve

I know it doesn't make sense, but that's the drop and it hits where shooter app says
No sticky bolt, even with fire formed brass, primers look OK and case neck look OK too.
I re set my data in the app when I was at the range in NV.

Bullet Dia: 308
bulet weight:210
Bullet length:1.4590
Muzzle Volcity:eek:ld speed 2888, new speed that's matches shot placement 3235
Atmos: ICOA
Drag: G1
BC: 0.6310
Zero range: 100Y
Altitude: 4021ft
Baro.press: 29.920
Temp: 60f
Humidty: 28%

This was from weather station via APP

NV 3 shot group 200y (sticker was from the berger box not sure why it was in there 1st one i have come across)
View attachment 61998
1st 5 shot group at 200y
View attachment 61999

Why are you inputting your bullet stats??? The 210 VLD is in the Shooter App Library.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.