270 wsm, RL 33, and the 165 matrix. Surprising results

Doublezranch

My son drew a Wyoming elk tag this year so we wanted a load for his 270 wsm that would swat a big cow right off her feet. I my first message was to Rhian to ask if he had any pet 270 wsm loads. He told me to try 33 with 165 matrix bullet. Well, we did and found success. Here's the story...

We loaded Norma 270 wsm brass with 2 separate ladders. The first was 64 grains though 68.5 grains respectively. Velocities were 2650 to the low 2900. After every round he shot, we meticulously looked at brass for pressure signs. We found that 64 through 68.5 grains were not creating enough pressure to seal the chamber. Therefore leaving some powder residue on the neck and shoulder. So I called Rhian again and disscussed our findings. His advice was to try a ladder a bit higher to see if we could get around 3000 fps. That seemed to be the sweet spot for his rifles on a dose of Retumbo.

Back to the bench we went and loaded up another ladder. This one consisted of a monster helping of 33. We started with 68.5 and went up to 71.5. Yes...71.5 grains of powder in a 270 wsm. The powder came up to the shoulder neck junction in the case. I thought for sure we would never be able to fire that round but I knew if we could, it might be something special. Today my 12 year old son Zayne and I went to the range with lots of excitement. He shot loads 68.5 through 70 with minimal accuracy, super velocity but still no pressure and signs and powder residue on the case necks. He looked at me and said...." The moment we have all been waiting for huh dad?" I thought, 71 and 71.5 grains are next. This can't be real. Not only was it real, it was really good. 71.5 brought forth a .5 inch group at 100 with a screaming 3100 fps. (My disclaimer on my velocities are this, these were taken from a beta chrony. I've been tricked before with this machine and know they are not the most accurate.) As I stood in awe.....Zayne noticed that the powder residue was gone meaning a perfect chamber seal. I told him if it wasn't for the assassin brake on the end of that muzzle it would have shot you clean off the bench. We shared a hug, and then headed home knowing one thing, we feel real sorry for the elk in unit 12.

That is smoking brother! RL-33 seems to be performing something crazy in the short mags... Stretch the legs of that 270 & report back!

What BC are you & Rhian running with the 270- 165?

t

Outlaw,

Here is the info on the bullet. Thanks to all for your kind words. Pretty fun to do achieve something by yourself, however priceless when you do it with, and for, your son.

Caliber Inches: .277
Weight, grains: 165.0
G1 BC .650
1-9 twist

Can't wait to see the final dial in and some long range groups, I've ran the 165's at 3120 fps from a 27.5 in barrel but that was pushing it hard but that was prior to R33, I just got a new no turn reamer with a .180 throat so I'll have to put another one together I think!!

I haven't seen elk resist that 165 very well, tuck it behind the shoulder and if they don't just flat drop they get a real bad case of the wobbles :D
I'm running a .336 G7 BC :cool:

Great, now I have to go develop another load...gun)

Good thing I picked up a bunch of RL33 for my 300RUM. :)

Hello Outlaw-

I thought I remember you having a 6.5WSM, if so have you ran the R33 in it? if so what did you find?

Ive been running round and round with mine and cant get the accuracy that I expect.

thanks

Matt
Montana 1999
29" Broughton 5R 1/8 twist
Oregon stock.

Cogburn,

Need a 33 load for you 300 rum? I have a winner with the 230 Berger. Let me know if you want it!!!

Hello Outlaw-

I thought I remember you having a 6.5WSM, if so have you ran the R33 in it? if so what did you find?

Ive been running round and round with mine and cant get the accuracy that I expect.

thanks

Matt
Montana 1999
29" Broughton 5R 1/8 twist
Oregon stock.

Matt, I do have the 6.5WSM. However, the only powder my bore has seen is N570. I have not tried any others to date. When my supply on VV runs out, combined with the current supply of N570 (unicorn tears); I intend to give RL-33 a serious try.

t

Cogburn,

Need a 33 load for you 300 rum? I have a winner with the 230 Berger. Let me know if you want it!!!

Yeah, I want it!

BTW, I did see the thread you had on the 230 Berger and RL33...

I loaded some for pressure testing from 92-99g and found some pressure(expanding case head) at 99g and 3030fps. No extractor mark, primers ok, Case head minimal extra expansion. The are way too long for magazine tho' at 3.827".

I have a few loaded at 97g for group testing, 97g showed 2956fps. This is in a factory M700 stainless with a 3 port brake from Clary's Custom Comps. I will probably be using this rifle for Elk this fall, I also have 2 270WSM's that I will be taking.

I have the 277 165g Matrix and have been shooting a few of them, they shoot well. I don't know if I will be hitting the velocity you are showing but anywhere close to 3000fps with the 165 should be pretty good on elk!!

My son drew a Wyoming elk tag this year so we wanted a load for his 270 wsm that would swat a big cow right off her feet. I my first message was to Rhian to ask if he had any pet 270 wsm loads. He told me to try 33 with 165 matrix bullet. Well, we did and found success. Here's the story...

We loaded Norma 270 wsm brass with 2 separate ladders. The first was 64 grains though 68.5 grains respectively. Velocities were 2650 to the low 2900. After every round he shot, we meticulously looked at brass for pressure signs. We found that 64 through 68.5 grains were not creating enough pressure to seal the chamber. Therefore leaving some powder residue on the neck and shoulder. So I called Rhian again and disscussed our findings. His advice was to try a ladder a bit higher to see if we could get around 3000 fps. That seemed to be the sweet spot for his rifles on a dose of Retumbo.

Back to the bench we went and loaded up another ladder. This one consisted of a monster helping of 33. We started with 68.5 and went up to 71.5. Yes...71.5 grains of powder in a 270 wsm. The powder came up to the shoulder neck junction in the case. I thought for sure we would never be able to fire that round but I knew if we could, it might be something special. Today my 12 year old son Zayne and I went to the range with lots of excitement. He shot loads 68.5 through 70 with minimal accuracy, super velocity but still no pressure and signs and powder residue on the case necks. He looked at me and said...." The moment we have all been waiting for huh dad?" I thought, 71 and 71.5 grains are next. This can't be real. Not only was it real, it was really good. 71.5 brought forth a .5 inch group at 100 with a screaming 3100 fps. (My disclaimer on my velocities are this, these were taken from a beta chrony. I've been tricked before with this machine and know they are not the most accurate.) As I stood in awe.....Zayne noticed that the powder residue was gone meaning a perfect chamber seal. I told him if it wasn't for the assassin brake on the end of that muzzle it would have shot you clean off the bench. We shared a hug, and then headed home knowing one thing, we feel real sorry for the elk in unit 12.

What was the rifle make? Barrel length? Factory chamber? Where are you touching lands with the matrix's?

I just built a custom modal 70 with a 24" 1-9 twist 5R benchmark barrel. I had trouble with accuracy at the start with H1000 until I loaded close to the lands and switched powder to 7828. my speed is pretty slow at 2880fps but it shot two 4" groups at 500 yards maybe RL33 is worth a try in my gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.