Supressed AR-10 in 22 creedmoor for varmints?

codyadams

Just wondering if there is anyone out there that has put together an AR-10 in 22 creed. I was thinking a 24" tube and throw my suppressor on there, would be a long and heavy rifle, but the farthest it would be carried would be maybe a half mile tops for a coyote stand, most times much less than that. Would be for prairie dogs and coyotes here in Wyoming, so no close quarters or timber type hunts with this one. Might even smack an occasional pronghorn.....

I was originally just gonna use a savage action and put together a 22-250 ai, but a 22 creed would be about the same or close performance with the heavy 22 cal bullets, and on an AR-10 platform I would have quick follow ups for when I get doubles or triples on a coyote stand.

So, any comments? Suggestions? Ideas? Thanks!!

Unless willing to shell out the cash. In my opinion it's AR10's too heavy for even 1000 yard carry never mind mile round trip.

I've got one swap top with 2 different calibers. It's beefy.

I have all the pieces for one. I'm waiting on the barrel nut wrench. My buddy said he had one but his doesn't fit. I shoot a 22-250 for coyotes and wanted to try a fast AR for follow up shots on multiples. I believe the creed will feed better than the 22-250 from a magazine so I went that direction.

Ar10 in 18" or 20" barrel with a can is bearable. Beyond that, you are carrying a fence post. 20" barrel in 6 creed with heavy bullets and you have a thousand yard rifle. I haven't seen the math on a 22 creed at those distances, but I'm sure the wind would make it awful tough way out there. Plus, by the time your body adjusted to carrying that telephone pole around, it would be time to replace that roasted barrel.

Just wondering if there is anyone out there that has put together an AR-10 in 22 creed. I was thinking a 24" tube and throw my suppressor on there, would be a long and heavy rifle, but the farthest it would be carried would be maybe a half mile tops for a coyote stand, most times much less than that. Would be for prairie dogs and coyotes here in Wyoming, so no close quarters or timber type hunts with this one. Might even smack an occasional pronghorn.....

I was originally just gonna use a savage action and put together a 22-250 ai, but a 22 creed would be about the same or close performance with the heavy 22 cal bullets, and on an AR-10 platform I would have quick follow ups for when I get doubles or triples on a coyote stand.

So, any comments? Suggestions? Ideas? Thanks!!
Cody
Looks like you need the 22 Creed for some distance shooting. We have been using a RRA Fred Eichler 223 primarily for Yotes, but worked really well on PD and HOGS. Shooting 65gr SGK. (50 or 55gr Blitz King or Z Max for PD). Have QD scope mounts for day & night glass . Great for 3-400 yards and very accurate.
Definitely get more distance with heavy 224 bullets and Creed/22.250 cases.
Good luck and let us all know what you end up building.

Another angle to consider is the 6mm arc. You can stay in a standard ar15 format, (saving weight and money), and I shot mine out to 1000y in a prs match out of a 22" barrel with factory 108eld-x ammo. You could probably get to 1,000 with an 18" barrel with a little tuning, and much better barrel life, less recoil, powder.... etc.

I had an AR10 20" heavy and got rid of it for an M1A. The ergonomics and handling made it more practical. From the prone the AR10 could be good but I'd probably go for the 6mm ARC also. Unless you want to keep pelts.