22 creedmoor

I have a Xcaliber 22 creedmoor barrel on a tikka t3 it is blowing up 85.5 gr Bergers at 3250fps I only get 5 to 6 shots then it will blow up every one of them I was running them at 3290fps no problem I don't know what has changed cleaned it good looked at it with bore scope little to no fire cracking it is a 1&7 twist any suggestions thanks doug
How many lands & grooves in the barrel? How far are you jumping to the lands & what powder are you burning? You might try a 95 smk and slow it down 100 fps. You could probably get similar ballistics.

I have 3 of them in 22 creedmoor my 1st one has over 900 rds on it. It only blows up the 85.5 Bergers when they are running over 3325. My other one has been running them 3250 no problems with it it. Just started having trouble with the last one it is a heavy sporter .

So it happens 5-6 shots into a string? I'm not sure what powder you are running but if you could find some n165, it burns much cooler than most other powders, A good bit cooler than h4350. It might Possibly get you 5 more shots in the string before they start blowing up.

I use rl23 powder it has given me the best groups of any powder I have tried in 22 creedmoor thanks

So far in my 3 and 3 friends guns Rl23 has been the best powder I have been trying to find n165 to try but no one has it I did get 4lbs of n170 ordered

So far in my 3 and 3 friends guns Rl23 has been the best powder I have been trying to find n165 to try but no one has it I did get 4lbs of n170 ordered
I have heard several folks say they get really good accuracy with rl23. It's is a double based powder and very hot burning powder. H4350 would run cooler and n165 would run cooler than h4350.

We ve found 3200-3250 with an 88 Eldm and 8 twist to be at the max without blowing bullets up. That's at 80 degrees or so rockchucking. When velocity went over 3300 things went 'poof'. Again in 8 twists so your 7 is gonna be tougher on a bullet yet.

Accurate 3100 is another very cool burning powder. Burn rate Is between 4350 & RL22. It's close to a 4831 burn rate.

I did some googling around on cause of bullet blowups a few months ago and found someone who seemed pretty knowledgeable state that the main cause of bullet blowups was heat caused by friction in the barrel. ( velocity/twist/length of barrel caused). This seemed to hold true with our findings as the same load out of a 26" barrel and 3200 ish would be to the target and same load in a 30" barrel bench gun ( cut with same reamer) blew up bullets that were approaching 3325. So velocity part of it but friction is my hunch a bigger part; at least within reason.

Think back to when you were a kid and slide 4" on your knee across the carpet vs 12" across it!! 😜

1:7 twist 22 Creeds are a little bit of a balancing act. That cartridge generates some serious RPMs so you may need to back off the velocity a bit (or consider using a monolithic projectile). I've got an 1:8 22-250 AI that does well with the 88 gr ELDM. No issues at 3150 out of my 22" barrel. Once I toast this barrel, I have a 1:7.5 22 Creed prefit ready to spin on the action.