Suppressors

Well, I also had the same question as the op. Now I'll be off to spend some money sooner than later.
This post does prompt yet another question; I guess I'm not as educated as I need to be on this subject. I understand there are a few differences on how you choose to file:
- Individual
- Trusts (Single Shot or Traditional NFA)
- Corporation

Of the filing options provided, which is best & why? I'd like to be able to pass the rifles down via inheritance without having the risk of my children or family members having to "give them up."

Again, for those of you who already own and are beyond the headache phase...
I went with the Trust on my first one 11 years ago and I put all of my cans on the same Trust. The "Obama" change makes every person on the Trust go through a finger print, picture, background check. (Before the change you just attached the suppressor to your Trust and added or took people away as needed.) No one that I knew would risk loosing all of their NFA items by putting a criminal on the Trust like the Democrats said, anyway I digress.
My wife, a few trusted friends and my kids are on my Trust.
I believe it's a longer wait and BS at first but in the end it sets our families up to not be hastled in the future.

I went with the Trust on my first one 11 years ago and I put all of my cans on the same Trust. The "Obama" change makes every person on the Trust go through a finger print, picture, background check. (Before the change you just attached the suppressor to your Trust and added or took people away as needed.) No one that I knew would risk loosing all of their NFA items by putting a criminal on the Trust like the Democrats said, anyway I digress.
My wife, a few trusted friends and my kids are on my Trust.
I believe it's a longer wait and BS at first but in the end it sets our families up to not be hastled in the future.
That was his parting shot on the way out, it used to be so easy.... At least now with the kiosk set-up it is much simpler.

Well, I also had the same question as the op. Now I'll be off to spend some money sooner than later.
This post does prompt yet another question; I guess I'm not as educated as I need to be on this subject. I understand there are a few differences on how you choose to file:
- Individual
- Trusts (Single Shot or Traditional NFA)
- Corporation

Of the filing options provided, which is best & why? I'd like to be able to pass the rifles down via inheritance without having the risk of my children or family members having to "give them up."

Again, for those of you who already own and are beyond the headache phase...
It's been awhile since I've read up so I can only comment on my experience. Individual and trusts are filed and basically the same process except now since the F41 rule everyone on the trust has to go through the full background process with prints and pictures etc. Corporate requires a corporation and all the tax i.d. board of directors etc. If you don't actually have one already it wouldn't be wise to create a front company to get one easier because in the long run it isn't easier than just doing it straight forward. Make sure you get an attorney that's familiar with the specifics of gun trusts. Not all attorneys are.

I'd have one on everything I own if I could make time. I do mine on a form 1 and build them in my shop. It's not rocket science to build them it just takes up a lot of my time. One day I just need to file several at once and have the approvals done so I can build them at my leisure. Once I bought my first commercial can I wanted more. It's nice to shoot out back and not scare everything out of the country. The wife appreciates that she doesn't have to jump at unexpected explosions in the middle of the day. They are really thee best for hunting squirrels. You can shoot all day in a small wood lot and not scare them all off. My personal best is 11 red squirrels off a 5 acre area. No more bore holes under the eaves. Hogs will still take off for parts unknown when you use a suppressor but I notice that deer may initially run off but they don't go too far as long as the one you kill falls right away. I do a lot of cull hunts throughout the year and a can let's you take more than one out of an area at a time. When you have 100 to cull it's a lot easier than one at a time.
If you ever need help with that, I've got plenty of hush pipes and ammo. 😂

The deer here are absolutely out of control. We had weather late fall and a lot of the corn didnt get plowed under so they had food. Add to that it's been exceptionally mild winter. The DNR have some quirky stupid rules about how they want culling done so we still have an over-population of deliciously fat, corn/bean fed deer. I lose 30% of my corn the last 6 years. I drove 3/4 mile yesterday and had 236 deer within 300yds of the road and another 200 plus I could see farther out and on other properties. I'm ready for my cull permits to come in!

The deer here are absolutely out of control. We had weather late fall and a lot of the corn didnt get plowed under so they had food. Add to that it's been exceptionally mild winter. The DNR have some quirky stupid rules about how they want culling done so we still have an over-population of deliciously fat, corn/bean fed deer. I lose 30% of my corn the last 6 years. I drove 3/4 mile yesterday and had 236 deer within 300yds of the road and another 200 plus I could see farther out and on other properties. I'm ready for my cull permits to come in!
We do not have that many deer here (We are allowed to take 6 deer per year per hunter, it isn't hard to find 6) but our feral pig populations are crazy high. I've killed 443 feral pigs in the last 3 years, plus caught and removed another 89. These pork chops are rooting up our ditches, roads, and creek beds.
I have found that if you use a suppressor and shoot the furthest porker first the other ones will run straight to you. I recently caught 11 in a clear cut, shot the furthest one at 310 yards and the last one around 25 yards, none made it out of the clearing. 🐖🐖🐖🐖
A few of the pork chops in vacation mode.

Attachments

• F89EE713-3A2B-4D20-8861-69A1668B3986.png
    F89EE713-3A2B-4D20-8861-69A1668B3986.png
    385.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 4029C8AD-2E4A-4381-8197-63865E7ACE56.png
    4029C8AD-2E4A-4381-8197-63865E7ACE56.png
    249.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 4754A758-CAE0-4C22-8508-FE4B5FB80247.png
    4754A758-CAE0-4C22-8508-FE4B5FB80247.png
    314.6 KB · Views: 93
  • E8EC8E12-F919-45CD-939F-9DF53816230E.png
    E8EC8E12-F919-45CD-939F-9DF53816230E.png
    496.3 KB · Views: 86
We do not have that many deer here (We are allowed to take 6 deer per year per hunter, it isn't hard to find 6) but our feral pig populations are crazy high. I've killed 443 feral pigs in the last 3 years, plus caught and removed another 89. These pork chops are rooting up our ditches, roads, and creek beds.
I have found that if you use a suppressor and shoot the furthest porker first the other ones will run straight to you. I recently caught 11 in a clear cut, shot the furthest one at 310 yards and the last one around 25 yards, none made it out of the clearing. 🐖🐖🐖🐖
A few of the pork chops in vacation mode.
Good lord if I had pigs too I'd be ruined.

I found that the paperwork was not that difficult. You will find that it does not "silence" the report of the firearm. But if you take off the suppressor you will be stunned how loud the firearm will suddenly become. Definitely worth the effort.

I WISH.... so badly.... that I could figure out a way to make this a "family priority".

So many things to spend money on.... so many which are truly necessary.

I'm 400 days since purchase of my second suppressor, and still haven't heard of approval. It's disappointing but absolutely worth it. I make it a point at gun ranges to offer people to try shooting it and when they compare their rude gun to mine they question why they haven't started the process already.

I agree with what others have said, you'll never regret the purchase but you'll definitely wish you hadn't opened Pandora's box.

I'm 400 days since purchase of my second suppressor, and still haven't heard of approval. It's disappointing but absolutely worth it. I make it a point at gun ranges to offer people to try shooting it and when they compare their rude gun to mine they question why they haven't started the process already.

I agree with what others have said, you'll never regret the purchase but you'll definitely wish you hadn't opened Pandora's box.

You can contact ATF or have your congress rep contact ATF for you to find out why you're so far beyond the average processing time.

You can contact ATF or have your congress rep contact ATF for you to find out why you're so far beyond the average processing time.
I went pending in May so I'm right around the 300 day mark, so I'm still around average. It's annoyingReading other forums seeing guys getting approvals from a few mos ago. Not holding my breath. It'll happen some day.

Have you called the ATF?

I don't know if it really helps/helped, but I called on my first one and was approved by the end of the month. I was at 10 months.

The reason I called, was my buddy called and was approved a few days later. He was just over 12 months.

I don't know, but suspect they look for your paperwork especially if you have have waited close to a year.

Be worth a try...I'm going to give them a call in October when I hit 10 months...

Have you called the ATF?

I don't know if it really helps/helped, but I called on my first one and was approved by the end of the month. I was at 10 months.

The reason I called, was my buddy called and was approved a few days later. He was just over 12 months.

I don't know, but suspect they look for your paperwork especially if you have have waited close to a year.

Be worth a try...I'm going to give them a call in October when I hit 10 months...

3x since mid Feb

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.