Why suppressors?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by RevJim, Oct 8, 2018.

1. RevJim

RevJim Well-Known Member

I see guys using these and wondering what they are good for? Do they save your hearing, is that it? I can understand the "silencer" affect of subsonic loads, but haven't seen the connection with high velocity loads? Plus, for decades, barrel length has been fought over, yet, here are these long suppressors? Help a country-boy Preacher understand? :)

2. Sneaky Apasum

Sneaky Apasum Well-Known Member

They make a big difference in noise, even on supersonic loads. As far as the added length, that’s a personal preference and trade-off, though a lot of guys are shooting shorter barrels to help cut down on OAL.

3. Defiance7mm

Defiance7mm Well-Known Member

Noise reduction, recoil management, nothing worse than shooting a big magnum with a loud a$$ muzzle brake. I don't shoot anything unsuppressed anymore. I'm not a weight or length watcher though. I carry a 16 lbs 300 Norma mag hunting... And no I don't road hunt. I do solo backpack trips usually putting on 50 miles or more through a weeks hunt.

4. jmcmath

jmcmath Well-Known Member

Even with normal supersonic loads their noise suppression is on par with foamies/in ear.

They also make it hard to distinguish where he sound sound came from, which could be beneficial for follow up shots.

5. phorwath

phorwath Well-Known Member

Age?

Barrelnut and HARPERC like this.
  6. Defiance7mm

Defiance7mm Well-Known Member

7. phorwath

I'm 63 and the past three seasons of mountain backpack hunting indicate I'm running out of the necessary stamina. At least where I hunt. Even though I'm in decent shape, I could never haul a rifle that heavy. Weight in my arms is less tolerated than weight in the backpack.
    And I prefer in the arms when there could be a bear behind every bush along the way.

Barrelnut, HARPERC and Varminator 911 like this.
  8. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

Pictured you younger, and you're my age. Sounds like you've got way more left.

9. phorwath

Thank you. I haven't given up, but it's becoming a real struggle.

10. Ksduckhntr

Ksduckhntr Well-Known Member

I hunted AK this August and was not accustomed to the angle of shots we were taking. Using a suppressor allowed me to miss cleanly on my first shot and drop the deer on my second. Without the suppressor I would have came up empty handed. That was the benefit in weight and length of the suppressor. Plus we were able to hunt that same mountain side the rest of the afternoon as well.

11. geo4061

geo4061 Well-Known Member

"Do they save your hearing, is that it?" No they do not. You should still wear hearing protection unless you are shooting sub sonic ammo. Shooting suppressed with sub sonic ammo is a tremendous amount of fun and a great way to get kids and first time shooters involved in the sport. That is where the suppressor really shines.

12. jmcmath

jmcmath Well-Known Member

While mid 130s is still significant noise compared to the many hunters that shoot in the field without hearing protection especially with brakes rifles there is a tremendous difference in possible damage

13. surgeon260

surgeon260 Well-Known Member

1. Suppressors reduce noise to the point that hearing protection is not a necessity (a huge bonus for hunting). The sonic boom of supersonic bullets will still hurt your ears, but to a much lesser extent than unsuppressed rifle fire, especially compared to shooting with a muzzle brake.
    2. Suppressors eliminate muzzle blast, which in my opinion is an even bigger detriment to accurate shooting than recoil. By muzzle blast I mean the concussive shock wave that causes flinching and headaches.
    3. Suppressors elongate the recoil impulse, making recoil more manageable and less jarring.
    4. Chicks dig them.

FrogFire7, Txhillbilly and JJMoody like this.
  14. KyCarl

KyCarl Well-Known Member

I have sorta looked into it and decided it just wasn't worth the Money..Time..Hassle.
    Just more hoops that they make you jump through.
    I use fitted rubber plugs with my Walkers muffs and my hearing is OK?
    I would rather up-grade my glass!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018