Suppressors

Suppressors are completely worth it. My first was 9 or 10 years ago (I think), and I ordered my most recent a few days ago. Far superior to brakes IMO.

As far as velocity is concerned, it's typical to see a small bump in velocity. For me, it hasn't been much - single digit to low teens.

And to answer the question you didn't ask - buy a Thunderbeast Ultra-7

Another addition to this since mine should be out of jail in a couple months......

How many people had to change their load? From shooting unspressed vs suppressed? I have a brand spankingn new .300 mag I am finishing this week. I can't hardly wait to shoot it and start workups but if it's all going to change drastically after the can is attached I don't want to waste time money or components. Thanks in advance.

Another addition to this since mine should be out of jail in a couple months......

How many people had to change their load? From shooting unspressed vs suppressed? I have a brand spankingn new .300 mag I am finishing this week. I can't hardly wait to shoot it and start workups but if it's all going to change drastically after the can is attached I don't want to waste time money or components. Thanks in advance.
I actually went to milder loads because of the freebore boost I was getting (similar to the same if you are running a break). I was happy with the speeds and accuracy I was getting so I went down to a little bit safer pressures.

They are great to hunt with. If you are shooting any distance there is a far greater chance of getting a follow-up shot. Often times the animal will be confused about "what just happened" and they will only spook a short distance and then look around.
Normally there is a small amount of POI shift when you attach a suppressor and also a small (10-20 fps) gain in MV. There is basically no recoil reduction when using a suppressor.
I would also recommend to absolutely use hearing protection when using a suppressor. They are simply a suppressor, not a silencer....hearing loss will still happen.

So yes and no for me. In order to keep rifle overall length the same or less I had to go to short barrel. That meant a loss in FPS. Going from a 28 down to a 20-22 for example. Roughly 200 fps. Shooting brakeless the sound was not that bad on a 28 to the shooter. Running a brake the sound is horrible to the shooter. So in the end I'd rather run a lighter recoiling rifle without a brake then a heavier recoiling rifle with one. I went to the can primarily for my dog. He goes with me often and the sound doesn't bother him at all with the can. Without the can he was getting very jumpy and I was worried it'd ruin him. Now, I don't want to shoot a rifle without a can and have had to accept the draw backs I described above.

Absolutely YES. I am going to British Columbia this fall and cannot take a suppressed rifle due to their laws. That means practicing and hunting with a muzzle brake (gonna take a magnum to hunt moose). I honestly never want to shoot or hunt again without a suppressor- all the benefits of the brake without the increased risk to hearing. The only negative to suppression aside from cost/waiting is the weight and balance change of the rifle. For my hunting rifles I have started using 22" barrels and titanium suppressors and couldn't be more happy. Just be prepared, once you get your first suppressor, it will NOT be your last ;)

Absolutely best move I ever made, I now shoot everything including my .17,.22 and .22 mag. I ended up with three so it must be worth it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.