Suppressors: direct thread vs. qd mounts for hunting

Direct thread or QD. they both work equally. The brake is better for high volume shooting s it directs the blast to the sides on the can body where direct thread directly hits the baffle system and causes more wear on the can. I've shot both on the same rifle and there is no difference in accuracy.

I have the Omega and use their quick thread between two AR's. It is fast and works great. My brother has the Harvester and direct connects. What a pain compared to the quick thread.
Saker w/ASRs and Harvester direct to two bolt guns for me. I prefer the lockup of the ASR. During a range session, check the thread/lockup often - baffle strikes no-bueno.

I have a .30 cal can that I run on 4 different guns. Initially I thought the QD mount was the best way to go. Now that I've owned one and have seen the issues associated with QD mounts, especially the AAC QD mounts, there is no way I'll ever buy another QD mount suppressor. Having said that, not all QD mounts are made equal, and the AAC 51T is probably one of the worse. In reality though, it really doesn't take that much longer to thread on a suppressor versus a QD though.
I personally run a SDN-6 on several bolt rifles and AR's and all of them use the AAC 51T QD brake/flash hider and I've never had any issues. Maybe I'm lucky. I also know that all my barrels are custom and/or very high quality meaning the thread is cut true and square to the bore. I won't ever direct thread anything unless the face is true.

If you get the TBAC, their CB Mount is the way to go. If you get the Omega, get the Area 419 Hellfire Adapter. I have a Harvester, Omega, Ultra 5 and 338 Ultra. I run the 419 on them all. I ran the ASR for a while on my Omega but am much happier with the 419.

Old topic but i will add to it. I dont know of a single person having a direct threadsuppressorhaving a baffle strike but i know a lot of people who have QD with them. It hard to mess up direct thread and easy to get just off with QD, I am one of them people too.

If you have a lot of rifles, QD mount systems will cost you a LOT of money...Most mounts are in the $100-200 each price range. So, add that cost to the endeavor before purchasing. Or buy a suppressor that you can swap the mount for both DT and QD whenever you want. For bolt-actions, a DT setups would be more cost-efficient. For AR's and semi-autos, a QD setup would be ideal.

Just personal opinion.

I started out with a sico and qd mount cuz I thought it would be the easiest. I have since gone to direct threads on my ar's because of the pain in the *** that I had to start putting up with on the sico mount. They get locked up on me if I don't immediately take the suppressor off before the barrel cools down and they become a pain in the arse. Already sent in one to have it fixed and my newer one has done the same thing. On my AI, I just use the cb brakes and my tbac suppressor for any of the barrels that I have.

They get locked up on me if I don't immediately take the suppressor off before the barrel cools down and they become a pain in the arse. Already sent in one to have it fixed and my newer one has done the same thing.

My first was a QD but no more. Let them get dirty and it is a struggle just to get the suppressor off of it.

I guess if it is important that you be able to quickly move the suppressor to a different rifle, then get the QD. That's never important to me so DT works just fine.

My biggest concern is accuracy (and I'm not talking an occasional half-minute, 3-shot group, either). For an extremely accurate rifle I want DT and a suppressor that is 100% titanium (alloy, of course) and easy to take apart and clean. I buy Banish.

Yeah, as of now I have a sico mount that wont come off of my short barrel ar. Right now, the only way to get it off is to remove the brake. All direct thread for my ar's. I have not had any shift in poi or accuracy loss from either direct thread or brake attach.

I started with direct thread on my gas guns and then changed to the ASR mount with my Omega 300.

At first, I thought putting so much weight on the end of my 20" barrel might cause accuracy problems and I have nothing but time so I would direct thread. My accuracy was very good.

My son kept nagging me to try a QD so I gave in thinking that I would show him how bad it is to add a couple ounces to the end of a barrel. I was wrong. My accuracy did not diminish.

One of the only reasons I would go back to direct thread is that it is going to be a lot harder for you to forget to lock your threads and shoot your can off the end of your rifle. I have become very careful to ensure I lock my ASR QD mount.

The good thing about using an QD is that I use the ASR mount that looks like a comp, that comp looking thing can and will take a lot of wear and tear off of the can acting as a blast baffle. I'm not sure if anyone will fire rounds fast enough to burn their cans but with the comp looking thing will help keep the first couple of baffles from being fire-eroded. Think throat erosion.

I also learned that a direct thread mount gets pretty gummy when a lot of rounds are fired through the can and can be difficult to remove from your barrel after everything cools down. A QD takes a lot more dirt to lock up. Either way, buy yourself a decent strap wrench just in case. Don't screw a hot can onto a cold barrel or you will have problems removing the can later.

Have some quiet fun out there!

I run both TB and Crux qb brakes mounts. Yes having several qb add up but nice and easy. I have from 223 up to 308 covered now and used mostly for hunting and occasional 5-10 round rock practice so they stay pretty clean.

Life is better with suppressor(s) !

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.