Another recommendation thread: Need a direct thread, light weight .264 to .308 suppressor, user serviceable, plus whatever you recomend....

cdherman

I have two guns that have 5/8" threaded muzzle already, both used for longer range, position hunting. After a shot there are those instances where one needs to pursue wounded or lost game. I get that a QD suppresser would be nice then. But I also hunt in places where I can unscrew a threaded suppressor and leave it behind safely. After a fair bit of reading, I want to stick with direct threaded options. I already have thread protectors for both, and I am no stranger to things threaded.

I want to stay light, yet durable and user serviceable. I do not need maximal suppression, just would like to take some of the recoil and blast down at an appropriate price. Guns are 6.5x284 and 7mm RM for now. Friend has several suppressors and I am rather enamored. Getting to that age where getting slammed with every shot is getting old. I work up loads a lot and that's easy with a sled, but practicing long range shots from prone, sitting, etc cannot be done "artificially" . Less recoil would mean more practice time in awkward positions.

The choices out there are myriad. I'd like to go with something affordable, but the hassle of a suppressor means that its really stupid i think to cheap out as well. Lightweight, would be nice, not paramount, but since these guns get walked into position, sometimes miles, every ounce is to be considered......

Barrels are Proof Research Carbon, if that mattes, and already pretty long.

-- what other factors should I consider?
-- what recommendations do you have?

I have two guns that have 5/8" threaded muzzle already, both used for longer range, position hunting. After a shot there are those instances where one needs to pursue wounded or lost game. I get that a QD suppresser would be nice then. But I also hunt in places where I can unscrew a threaded suppressor and leave it behind safely. After a fair bit of reading, I want to stick with direct threaded options. I already have thread protectors for both, and I am no stranger to things threaded.

I want to stay light, yet durable and user serviceable. I do not need maximal suppression, just would like to take some of the recoil and blast down at an appropriate price. Guns are 6.5x284 and 7mm RM for now. Friend has several suppressors and I am rather enamored. Getting to that age where getting slammed with every shot is getting old. I work up loads a lot and that's easy with a sled, but practicing long range shots from prone, sitting, etc cannot be done "artificially" . Less recoil would mean more practice time in awkward positions.

The choices out there are myriad. I'd like to go with something affordable, but the hassle of a suppressor means that its really stupid i think to cheap out as well. Lightweight, would be nice, not paramount, but since these guns get walked into position, sometimes miles, every ounce is to be considered......

Barrels are Proof Research Carbon, if that mattes, and already pretty long.

-- what other factors should I consider?
-- what recommendations do you have?
What is your budget?

Don't really have a budget. I can afford most anything, but I hate over paying. Always trying trying to find the sweet spot. And rather handy too. So my guns are mostly high end barrels into savage actions. Followed by the best brass and reloading techniques I can achieve.

I have a hard time believing that a $2000 suppressor is going to better than a $1500 one. But perhaps a $1200 unit might be better than a $599???

Light, durable is what I am after. Perhaps user serviceable is over rated in high power rifles I have read. But the DYI part of me likes that.......

Silencer Co omega 300. I removed the anchor brake off of mine as I felt it did not do that much and it is an inch shorter
35DC7316-3C78-4665-B710-A57D0F5F1990.png
omega 300

Omega is a good one but I have one of the original harvesters and I really like it. It's a bit on the long side but it suppresses very well, is light weight and reasonably priced. They have since updated it to a newer design but I know nothing about it.

Regarding QD mounts, I have quite a few suppressors, the vast majority of them are QD mount. If I could do it all over again I would but all of them as direct thread. If it wasn't such a pain to sell them I would and replace with direct thread.

It is useful to see how many of you agreed that "user serviceable" is not a necessary feature. I assume that the user serviceable aspect adds some weight on average? And possibility of something getting loose?

The Thunderbeast Ultra 7 Gen 2 is considerably lighter than the Omega 300. And I am thinking that extra ounces on the muzzle end of already heavy gun are not something a hunting rifle needs......

So you have helped me narrow my question.
I now want:
-- direct thread
-- light weight
-- good reputation (since if its not user serviceable, it better either last or have a good company behind it)
-- Cost is not completely immaterial, but honestly $600 versus $1200 don't mean much these days. The wait time and the stamp are all the same......

What competes with the Thunderbeast Ultra 7? Sico Omega is much heavier and recommends NOT using lead projectiles. I assume they mean unjacketed lead projectiles, but the weight rules them out for me anyhow.....

I'd take a hard look at TBAC and Dead Air. I love my TBAC but Dead Air is really competitive at this point. In my biased opinion there's nothing else to even consider, choosing a suppressor is like choosing a wife, choose wisely and you won't regret it.

I got a silencerco harvester evo about 2 months ago. It's only about 6.5" long direct thread. Think it's only like 10 oz. It's not user serviceable but that really doesn't matter to me. It's like $520 or something like that. I'm really considering grabbing a second one so my kids can stop stealing mine. Here it is on the end of my 24" proof barrel.
12A12639-0DE5-4013-A701-0E37F98DF8A6.jpeg

User serviceable is not necessary on a non rimfire or pistol can and it's just a selling gimmick.

I personally wouldn't give Silencer Central a dime of my money, or even Silencer Shop for that matter.
Everybody interested in their 1st muffler should read this out loud, three times.

User serviceable is not necessary on a non rimfire or pistol can and it's just a selling gimmick.

I personally wouldn't give Silencer Central a dime of my money, or even Silencer Shop for that matter.

Everybody interested in their 1st muffler should read this out loud, three times.
Kinda wonder if silencer shop depends on dealer. I had an excellent experience with my local silencer shop dealer. I called him, told him I wanted a silencerco harvester evo, he had it shipped to the store like a week later. I went in did my kiosk thing, certified like 2 days later. Got my stamp in 6 months thanks to ATF not meeting 90 day times.

I agree with the other recommendations that you skip the user serviceable requirement. On the lower end of the price spectrum, the new Harvester EVO or the YHM Resonator might fit your requirements. I have the YHM and the ton/volume is quite nice. It comes with their quick detach system but a direct thread adapter is around $40. The harvester EVO is a little shorter and lighter.

On the higher end of the spectrum, maybe check out the Nomad TI or the Nomad L TI.

Recent Posts