Superformance?

Lonewolf74

Has anybody been using hodgon's superformance powder with good success?

I have some that I want to use for my 243 with 75 gr v-max bullets and maybe some others but it's not in my hornady manual so I'm gonna go off hodgon's Web site.

Anybody have some loads made that they're impressed with using the superformance? What bullet and combo you using?

Thanks for any input guy's

I am loading 44.7 grains in Hornady cases under 140 grain Hornady match bullets. I am getting 2720 ft/sec. and accuracy that at times I have a hard time believing in my 6.5 Creedmoor.

Thanks for the reply I did a search on it hear and didn't come up with a lot and what I did see was mixed results on the accuracy end. I was hoping by now some more have played around with it and have some good loads made using it

I just looked at the data in the 2016 Hodgson manual and it looks like something worth a try. From my limited experience I think it works best at max or near max.

Used in 338 Winchester.

Superformance. 225 Sierra Federal case & WLRM primers.
70gr.-2673
71gr.-2710
72gr.-2770
73gr.-2808
74gr.-2858
75gr.-2906
76gr.-2913

Hunter. 225 Sierra same case and primer as above
72gr.-2823
73gr.-2845
74gr.-2869
75gr.-2945
76gr.-2958

The Rifle is a Tikka T-3 Lite SS

I have also used Superformance in a 6mm Rem with 85 gr TSX and 90 accubonds with very good results. Also loaded some 168 tsx in an 30-06 with ok results.

I tested this powder out when doing testing with my 300 Sherman Shortmag and 215 Berger and accuracy wise it was very good as well as speed; however, the downfall with the next testing was very poor temperature stability. I was coming up with 1.25-1.5 fps per degree swings which I consider terrible. I moved on after these results as there are better powders for my needs.

I have used H414 with 75 v max and 243 with great accuracy but again not very good for temp stability.

The new RL 16 shows some impressive numbers for speed and supposed to be excellent in regards to temp sensitivity. Here is a link to the data for RL 16
http://alliantpowder.com/downloads/RL16_Initial_Loads.pdf

Thanks all for the reply's I got some loaded up last night that I'll test this wknd.

The next question I have is what are some powders you have had good results with on heavier 95-105gr bullets?

I have some berger 105 vld hunting bullets cus they where on sale and I wanna play around with them. I think I'll have to try to push em fairly fast to stabilize out of my 9 twist barrel. So what are some powders that will offer best volocity?

I'm eyeing up RL26 and H 100V based on some post I've seen hear but haven't found much load data using these 2

74, my grandson's .243 shoots the Berger 87 gr. very accurately. We load H4350 in Lapua brass with 210M primers. It shot the 87 gr. V-Max fairly well also. H4350 is a bit faster powder than the Superformance and performs well with 6mm bullets for us. Good luck

you do not say what rifle. or what you are shooting at. A 95 grain nosler with re-26 is awesome. the heavier ones may not shoot well.

you do not say what rifle. or what you are shooting at. A 95 grain nosler with re-26 is awesome. the heavier ones may not shoot well.

Sorry it's for a 243 win 9 twist barrel. The bullets I have now besides the 75 v-max are berger 105 gr vld hunting but if I can't get them to shoot well I'll try other 95-105gr bullets. I know berger recommends an 8 twist barrel for them but I'm hoping I can get em to shoot well.

And by luck my mag length is long enough to seat the vld's up to the lands, maybe even .010 jam but I haven't measured that out for sure yet. Either way I don't really wanna go anymore than touching the lands

Thanks all for the reply's I got some loaded up last night that I'll test this wknd.

The next question I have is what are some powders you have had good results with on heavier 95-105gr bullets?

I have some berger 105 vld hunting bullets cus they where on sale and I wanna play around with them. I think I'll have to try to push em fairly fast to stabilize out of my 9 twist barrel. So what are some powders that will offer best volocity?

I'm eyeing up RL26 and H 100V based on some post I've seen hear but haven't found much load data using these 2
RL26 fills up a .308 size case awfully fast. I tried both RL26 and RL23 with my .260 and I think you'd have better luck going with either RL23, 17 or RL19.

With both RL23 and 26 my starting loads were compressed, 17 and 19 give you a lot more room to work with but still filled the cases to probably 90% or better with every load I tried.

Sorry it's for a 243 win 9 twist barrel. The bullets I have now besides the 75 v-max are berger 105 gr vld hunting but if I can't get them to shoot well I'll try other 95-105gr bullets. I know berger recommends an 8 twist barrel for them but I'm hoping I can get em to shoot well.

And by luck my mag length is long enough to seat the vld's up to the lands, maybe even .010 jam but I haven't measured that out for sure yet. Either way I don't really wanna go anymore than touching the lands
It's really an uphill battle without a 8 twist or faster.

You might do better working up your loads at 200yds rather than 100 to give the bullets a chance to stabilize.

Shot my loads today and I'm not happy with what I seen from the 75 v-max and superformance powder, it seemed they tightened up some as I approached max load but it seems I'd always get a slight flyer in my 3 shot groups. I'd have 2 shots about 1/2" apart then 1 shot that was 1-1 1/2" away usually high n right from the other 2. Any possible explanation for this?

I loaded up some more at the charges that shot fair and went a half grain over max to test too. Then I loaded some seating the bullets .020 off the lands at the same charges to compare with the others I have loaded touching the lands. Hope I get better results outa one of them.

On the upside I got pretty good results with the 105 vld's, I went with RL 25 cus my options where limited at the store. Looked like they might have been wobbling a little at the lower charges but seemed to straighten out and definitely tightened up as I increased the charge. The last group was a one hole group, definitely gonna test more and hope it wasn't a fluke!

Shot my loads today and I'm not happy with what I seen from the 75 v-max and superformance powder, it seemed they tightened up some as I approached max load but it seems I'd always get a slight flyer in my 3 shot groups. I'd have 2 shots about 1/2" apart then 1 shot that was 1-1 1/2" away usually high n right from the other 2. Any possible explanation for this?

I loaded up some more at the charges that shot fair and went a half grain over max to test too. Then I loaded some seating the bullets .020 off the lands at the same charges to compare with the others I have loaded touching the lands. Hope I get better results outa one of them.

On the upside I got pretty good results with the 105 vld's, I went with RL 25 cus my options where limited at the store. Looked like they might have been wobbling a little at the lower charges but seemed to straighten out and definitely tightened up as I increased the charge. The last group was a one hole group, definitely gonna test more and hope it wasn't a fluke!

For me rl-17 did this same thing but not quite that drastic. This was due to temp sensitivity. Not sure where your located or your temps right now. Mine went from .2s to .6s when the winter weather came. Switched to h4350 and problem solved. Rl-17 will be my summertime load.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.