Superformance

beandip96

Was wondering if anyone out there in LRH land has any experience using Hogden Superformance Powder for any of their reloading. I have been working up a load in a custom 6.5CM with the 120 gr GMX bullet. Any input, good or bad??? I have the current Hornady manual and they dont use it for any of the other rifles I shoot. These are the bullets I'd like to shoot if possible.

6.5 CM 120 gr Hornady GMX
280AI 150 gr Nosler LRAB
338-06AI 210gr Barnes TTSX
22-250 36gr Barnes Varmint Grenade

What is a powder with a similar burn rate???

The burn rate is close to H4831; a little slower.
Burn Rate

I tried it in my 30-06 using 150gr bullets and got a great group during load testing, then I got a few good cold bore shots, but then I started experiencing imprecise shots.
I was thinking temperature was the culprit, but now I think it was the bullet weight being too light. I was also experiencing extreme velocity spreads, every so often.

When I bought the powder, they didn't have what I wanted so I tried it not knowing what the burn rate was. I would assume a heavier jacketed bullet would work better; I use H4831 with 180gr jacketed bullets with great success, unfortunately I only have 180gr cast bullets to try. They work a little better than the 150gr, although I still get the occasional flier, which makes the load untrustworthy.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help. :/

Last edited:
Currently the most promising powder in my 375 Ruger. Film at eleven. Think of it as high density 4831. Same speed but you can pack in a lot more. If 4831 is a touch too slow to work in your cartridge then Superformance will work great at getting enough of a 4831 speed powder into the case to develop max pressure and performance.

KB

I have a ladder loaded up for my 375 RUM with this powder. I'm going to try it with the NAB 260 grain pill. I also use it in a 25 wssm with crazy accurate results. What most have seen is less pressures with more powder which is a wonderful quality. However, this powder is very sensitive. It drops off the charts very quickly. There are few power nodes so if you find one, use it. The great news is you'll know it, when you find it. It will be accurate as heck.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.