Superformance Powder

I run superformance in my 22-250, 243, and 6.5 creed with great results. It's a really good powder just need to find the right load. Right now I'm running 130 Berger VLDs at 2691 in the creed.
I don't have my notebook near by, but I think I was getting around 2,800 shooting a 147eldm out of my 26" barrel creed. I was impressed.

It works well in certain applications however it is very temp sensitive. I loaded it for years in the 30-06 with 150gr bullets for a few hunting rifles. It was only ever shot in hunting season when the temp was between 25 and 45 degrees and never over a chronograph so I never noticed it.

It wasn't until I started loading it in rifles I shot during the summer that I noticed the issue with velocity swings upwards of 150 fps.

6.5CM, 2700 node, 2760 max behind a 140 ELD-M from a 22" barrel. Never found a node in 30-06 behind a 150SST.

I have zilch on it in a 308, there is nothing in Hornady 9th, Lee's, Hodgdon website, Nosler, Berger, or Sierra. I found one load on the internet, and it was 500FPS slower than Varget, 2400 compared to 2900 with a 150gr bullet. I'm taking this as an indicator that it's just not sub-optimal, but actually bad in the round.

Last edited:
Starting to workup loads for Hammer 124s in my 6.5 CM. Yesterday I was getting 2800s and 2900s with Superformance at 35F. Been awhile since I've loaded for my 308, so not sure what I was loading, but don't think it was this powder.

I will add this to the mix. Back when Superformace was introduced, I found a load for my 30-06 with 150 gr CT bullets that really hauled the mail. Nothing was listed at time for 308 and 7WSM so I called Hodgdon's and spoke with a tech named Mike and he told me that there are 44 different blends of Superformace powder and only on released to the reloader. He warned me to follow listed loads and don't go out on a limb. He stated more loads will be published as time goes on.

I know everyone is searching for loads that will work for powders they have on hand, but...a good general rule of thumb is that if a powder isn't listed for a given cartridge, there is probably a reason. It's generally either inefficient or even dangerous. This is especially true for powders that are too fast, but proceed with caution.

According to Hodgdon (via phone call several years ago), Hornady has over 42
Different blends of the "superformance" powder.

They only brought one to market
as a canister powder.

This is the greatest addition to this discussion about Superformance powder.

Hornady/Hodgden unfortunately created a good deal of confusion when they released a powder that was branded EXACTLY like their factory loaded ammo.

In reality, we all know that no one powder would possibly be able to load for the multitude of cartridges they offer in the Superformance line of ammo, but with questionably "gimmicky" advertising, many folks bought-into the idea that they could duplicate a ton of these loadings without realizing the exceptionally slim application for the powder that was released.

Load smart, and for the exact application that you have in mind. Don't try to load your 9mm handgun rounds with H50BMG just because you have it lying around.

No, they haven't, which seems like a liability IMO, and I've called Hodgdon about having more published load data. Contractual things with Hornady is why there is not much out there.

Kaveman, check out this thread, there may be something there:

They kinda said it just in a roundabout way

SUPERFORMANCE

Hodgdon® Powder Company and Hornady® have teamed together to answer the reloading question; "Can I buy the powder used in Hornady Superformance factory ammunition?"
Superformance delivers striking velocities in cartridges like the 22-250 Remington, 243 Winchester and 300 Winchester Short Magnum. Targeted velocities are well in excess of 100 fps over the best published handloads and even larger gains over factory ammunition!
Because this propellant is tailored for specific applications, the number of cartridges and bullets is limited, but where it works, it really works!

So I'll ask the newbie question: what do those three cartridges have in common that makes them suited to that powder?
They are generally all somewhat "overbore" cartridges where the ratio of bore diameter to case size is smaller/lower than some other cartridges where the ratio is higher. Ex Superformance works well in 300WSM where .308 bore is paired with a (comparatively) larger case vs 308Win which has same diameter .308 bore with a significantly smaller case and in which Superformance does not work well at all. Same idea for 243 and 22-250 as cartridges recommended by Hodgdon and others such as the Creedmoors with similar (overbore) ratios. I know this may be greatly oversimplified for all you engineer types out there, but the basic idea is there.

Last edited:
Tried some in 280ai got around 100+FPS better than 4831sc which is my hunting load. Only loaded up rounds and have not been able to get any more to further check it out. Accuracy was good. Think but I wouldn't bet it was around 56 gr. 160AB

They are generally all somewhat"overbore" cartridges where ratio of bore diameter to case size is smaller than more standard cartridges. Ex Superformance works well in 300WSM where .308 bore is paired with a (somewhat) larger case vs 308Win which has same diameter .308 bore with a significantly smaller case. Same idea for 243 and 22-250 as cartridges recommended by Hodgdon and others such as the Creedmoors with similar (overbore) ratios.
Thank you. I was debating trying this in 280AI or maybe 6.5 Grendel, but I'm not sure the burn rate would work for the Grendel.