Suitable youth rifle for a Mule Deer hunt?

My daughter all 90 pounds of her is using a 7mm-08 in a browing x-bolt. Scoped it sub 7lb. she is also shooting either the Sierra Pro hunter or Nosler Ballistic tip in the 120gr class. It happens to be a more compact stock and fits her well. I have had her try a few other configurations an getting the LOP around that 12-12.5" sure made a big difference on fit an shoot-ability. I can always upgrade to a different stock as she continues to grow.

On a side note for shotguns I picked up a Weatherby SX-08 compact this year for her. For Pheasants, trap and sporting clays it has worked great. It is much easier for her to shoot that compared to Bellini AX400 in 20GA that she had been using.

I'll be taking my 13 year old on a mule deer hunt that she was drawn for and I'm looking for ideas on a good cartridge that is suitable for the job. It says in the hunt guide that most shots will be 200 yards or further. I have a 6.5 Grendel for her to whitetail hunt with. Though it has done well for close range whitetail, I don't feel it is a good choice for Mule deer at the suggested ranges. The other two options I have available is a 14lb match rifle in 6mm Creedmoor or a 300wsm. I'm unsure that a 100-110gr 6mm is enough and personally think the 300wsm will be a bit much recoil. The two cartridges that come to mind that I think would be a good middle of the road cartridge for this application would be the 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 PRC. It wouldn't take much for me to spin up another barrel and swap it out ...accept for the fact that I don't have a barrel laying around. Maybe I can get by with what I have or maybe I need to buy a barrel? Looking for some ideas and opinions. Also to add, I have never hunted Mule deer so it will be a new adventure for the both of us. Thanks ahead of time for any tips, tricks & advice
308 or 7 mm 08

I'll be taking my 13 year old on a mule deer hunt that she was drawn for and I'm looking for ideas on a good cartridge that is suitable for the job. It says in the hunt guide that most shots will be 200 yards or further. I have a 6.5 Grendel for her to whitetail hunt with. Though it has done well for close range whitetail, I don't feel it is a good choice for Mule deer at the suggested ranges. The other two options I have available is a 14lb match rifle in 6mm Creedmoor or a 300wsm. I'm unsure that a 100-110gr 6mm is enough and personally think the 300wsm will be a bit much recoil. The two cartridges that come to mind that I think would be a good middle of the road cartridge for this application would be the 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 PRC. It wouldn't take much for me to spin up another barrel and swap it out ...accept for the fact that I don't have a barrel laying around. Maybe I can get by with what I have or maybe I need to buy a barrel? Looking for some ideas and opinions. Also to add, I have never hunted Mule deer so it will be a new adventure for the both of us. Thanks ahead of time for any tips, tricks & advice

When my daughter was ready for a youth hunt, I picked up a used Rem Model 7 in .260 Rem with a youth stock (actually 2 youth stocks). It was a perfect choice for her, with enough power to get the job done, reasonable recoil, and light enough for her to be comfortable with it. One of these days I should sell it or pick up a full-sized stock as she's now an adult.

6.5cm or prc, 7-08, 280r, 260r, 284w, 6.5-284, 25-06, 308, 30-06, 270w, 243, the list goes on and on and on--most important factors would be actual distance (you said 200+, how far is +) good shot placement and shooter capability--most any centerfire cartridge is capable out to 3-400y

My 12yo daughter is just starting on hunting this year-- shes a little recoil sensitive she shoots a braked 6.5cm--the rifle is capable of 600yard kills, but I can honestly say she is not --I'm realistic and limit her to 150-200 yards depending on weather conditions---some young shooters are much more advanced with more practice than her
I would favor the 7mm08 with 140 gr bullet.

6.5 CM or prc are fine you might consider a 308 as well,lot of other claibers will get the job done to.

When my daughter started out (12 yrs old) I got her a 7mm-08 in a Winchester 70 youth model and she did a outstanding job with that gun. 140gr. rem core lokt bullets.

a 243 or 6mm remington would stop a deer cold at 200 to 400 yds no problem using 100 gr bullets it might be a bit light at 500 but in the heart lung area its fine .the bullets have a high bc.and retain enough energy to stop the biggest deer.my opinion

I shot plenty of mule deers with a 243, 6.5 creedmoor, 30-06 and a 300 win mag and they all died the same. I shot a 180 pound buck last hunting season with the 120 grain gmx out of my 6.5 creedmoor and it hammered it. A 6.5 Grendel with a 120 grain Barnes or gmx will do the same.

Use what she's comfortable with.

My daughter shoots a savage axis 6.5 creedmoor standard length Barrel i swapped the stock to a muddy girl youth stock bedded it put a timney trigger in it. Talley scope mounts. I have an extra scope. I have 500 into it

My cousin who has been an outfitter for over 30 years has always used a
257 Robert's on Elk and Mule deer and gets one every year. Most of the times it's a one shot kill. I myself like the 7mm08.

I've been a mule deer hunter for over 50 years and have killed hundreds of mulies ! My favorite is a 7mm RM with 140 gr accubonds going around 3000 fps ! So let's see what's comparable with less recoil ! A 6.5x284 was my 1st thought with 140 gr. Bullets that would work find ! Your 6.5 or a creedmoor would work ! You could look at a 270 with 130 gr. Bullets or even some 6 MMS such as the 243 ! These all would work with the 243 being the lightest and most pleasant to shoot !

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.