Success!

No Fear, the bullet at that range did not blow apart, but judging from the hole it did mushroom nicely. It certainly didn't pencil through. Ol' whistle pig only made it a few feet from his rock.

mtnwrunner, at the elevations I'm usually shooting at, 12000' +, there is usually only a few weeks of shooting before it begins freezing hard enough that they just don't come out to sun on the rocks. I have another place an hour above my house where I am shooting at around 10000', but I can't find the distances. About 800 seems to be all the further I can get there, so I use the elk rifle.

In Idaho here, they seem to burrow after about June and you just never see them as its too hot. The other issue is that there are a couple of popular rockchuck contests and the chucks get wiped out in some locations. The areas that I hunt on are on public land and a couple of private ranches/farms and we explain to them that we are after quality not quantity. One of the local ranchers actually has a certain area that he reserves for us and we can get out to about 2000 yards or so---not that we actually ever hit anything but its great fun. He drives by and visits us on his 4 wheeler and just can't believe that grown adults sit around all day and blast away. Just shakes his head and laughs.

Randy

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.