Success At +1000 yards!

Fiftydriver that sounds pretty interesting the way you came to decide which case to use.

Hope that it all turns out great, would like to see that muzzle design. Send me an e-mail if you get the chance.

I used the Wild rangfinder to try and range a known distance of one mile last week. The Wild ranged it at 1850 meters. Hmmmmm. It's a big, heavy rangfinder. If you go to their web site, they have some formula which gives you the minimum error for a given range. At 1500 yrds you'd be talking about 40-50 yards of error either plus or minus. If you can shoot with this kind of error in the range measurment, then perhaps the Wild is for you. Otherwise, a Russian rangfinder is the only other option which I know of.

Fifty,
Good to see you on the forum. One solution to the magnification problem is to use a Leupold 6.5-20 or 8-25 get a full field of view then back off. The other way is to take a Leupold 36 BR-D and send it to Wally Siebert and he will convert into a long eye-relief 20 power handgun scope. I have one-I really like it.
I have also shot my 284 Win. XP-100 around 100 times with a 6.5-20 Leupold on it set @ 20 power.
My goal next year is to go for a 1,000 yard dog with my XP's. It is just a matter of time.

Ernie

Roadrunner

The Wild coincidence rangefinder has an adjustment to correct for known distances.

We calibrate them and the Barr and Stroud off the target frames (1000 Yards) at Williamsport all the time.

You can set your rangefinder up for "your" rifle only and do actual fire test at the ranges the rangefinder says it is. Make a drop chart for that rangefinder only and it will work just fine for you.
For instance, if your rangefinder says something is 2000 meters and the known true distance is 1500 meters, if you have fired for effect and made a drop chart to match the hits on the targets of the rangefinder and what it read, you will be on target at 1500 yards. Remember, that setup is for your rifle ONLY. If another person tries to shoot what the rangefinder says it is, with his rifle, he will put 2000 meters of clicks on and shoot way over the target.
It doesn't matter what the rangefinder read as long as you have fired on the target you were rangeing and hit it while making the drop chart.

We once had a Zeiss military rangefinder with no adjustment for correction that worked correctly. We made our own drop chart to match the readings for "one" of our Longrange rifles.
Later
DC

[ 09-03-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Fifty,
I just got done last March with a .338 RUM AI and was actually kind of dissappointed with it. I loaded 300gr Rhinos from South Africa and tried everything from RL22 to Retumbo to imr4831. vvn135 and imr 4064 gave me the fewest probs. The cases were a little weak (Rem Cases) when I straightened the wall out. Bad bulges getting int 3400fps with retumbo, and just about every load cratered the primers badly. You may want to start with straight 404 jeffries brass, as I noticed the web is a bit thicker.

I'm playing around with a .500jeffries and .375 bullet right now. Just got the OlyArms action all cleaned up from testing and waiting on the barrel. Can't wait to see what it will do!

[ 09-05-2003: Message edited by: hhmag ]

If you do a search in the buy,sell and swap section you'll find a couple items. Some discussion also about them, use your judgement and I'll send you an e-mail.

Kirby, You asked about rangefinders in your original post. I got a PLRF10 last fall. Pricy no doubt, but it has no problems at 3000 yards (that is as far as I have tried it). More important than the fact it will reach out there is the small beam size. I have been able to range a standing dead tree trunk on the skyline of a ridge at 2200 yards. Obviously it has to be on a tripod or sandbagged for precision at those ranges. I love mine, I just wish it was not as heavy as a concrete block.

Kirby, You asked about rangefinders in your original post. I got a PLRF10 last fall. Pricy no doubt, but it has no problems at 3000 yards (that is as far as I have tried it). More important than the fact it will reach out there is the small beam size. I have been able to range a standing dead tree trunk on the skyline of a ridge at 2200 yards. Obviously it has to be on a tripod or sandbagged for precision at those ranges. I love mine, I just wish it was not as heavy as a concrete block.

You may want to look at the date on the other posts you r about 9 years late.LOL

haha, i started reading what Kirby was writing, and thought he was a little more advanced than he was talking.

then, i saw the dates. good stuff. i like the idea of the ELR forum.

WOW, who dug up this old fossil of a post!!! This was started about the same time I went professional as a rifle builder!!! LOL What a ride since then!!