Success At +1000 yards!

Whoops, i didnt notice the date either.
Makes alot more sense dosent it. lol
Sometimes I see a member putting up new Post on a subject and get really interested in it and make a reply. Then I look at the date of the original Post and its sometimes 20+ years old. JUST like this time. I think a lot of us my do this.

It's amazing, isn't it, how far this sport has come?
And the evolution isn't complete, yet, I don't think. I'm hearing about 80,000 psi cartridges, for Pete's sake!!

We have another shot at 1065 yards on video, but I have no idea how to upload a short clip. The Kudo in the profile pic was 920 yds. I love long-range hunting. I bought my Sendero 7 mag in 1999 and I'm on barrel #5 with an average of 1244 rds per barrel. The goal this season is to break 1200 yds. The new barrel is chambered in a 7x300 win mag for more horsepower. The bullet is the 180 gr ELDM. Thanks guys and have a great season!

Since I'm out of commission for the season, I expect you guys to pick up the slack. I want to see some long-range kill shots!

To all,

This spring and summer my father, brother and myself have been doing alot of long range varmint hunting getting ready for the big game season in late October.

We are all members in the Varmint Hunters Association and have been working at getting into the "down Range" clubs. We all got into the 500 yard club rather easily. My brother used his 7mm RUM to hammer a chuck at +620 yards and my father used my 6mm-284 to score at 523 yards.

I was able to score two hits on chucks also using my 6mm-284 at 713 yards in as many shots. Then I scored a hit at 902 yards with my 50 BMG.

For the last few weeks we have been going for the thousand yard club and have been having a little trouble.

The main problem we were having was with our drop charts not being set up correctly. Obviously you can not take the B.C. numbers provided from the bullet makers to set up a drop chart. We knew there would be a difference but had no idea that it would be that much.

After a couple weeks range testing my new drop charts, we headed out Saturday morning for the 1000 yard club.

Our first set up provided four shots at chucks but a slight cross wind played a bit with the 107 gr MK's out of my 6mm but I was able to land three of those rounds within inches of the chucks but no solid hits.

We moved to another hunting area and set up the gear and began glassing for chuck movement. There was nothing to be seen for about a half hour.

Finally my brother spotted a chuck sunning on a rock and I lined the Leica 1200 up on it. The range read 1055 yards so I looked up the range on the drop chart and it said to hold on the bottom post of the mil-dot which should give a bullet impact within .6" of aim point.

The wind was slightly blowing but it was directly at our back both at our shooting position and at the target.

I leveled the scope level and held the point of the bottom post dead on the chuck and began to squeeze.

I recovered from the recoil just in time to see the 107 land solidly on the chuck.

We watched the rock pile for several minutes and saw no movement so we headed down to see if it was indeed a kill.

Sure enough the chuck was laying dead just behind the rock he had been sitting on.

I was very happy, a kill at 1055 yards with only one shot.

Now we have to get my brother and father into the club. Then it will be off to the 1500 yard club adventure. I will need to invest in a longer range rangefinder before that though.

What are your opinions of the Swedish military surplus rangefinders of optical design.

Are they accurate enough to range a chuck at +1500 yards and get an accurate reading?

ANy opinions on these rangefinders would be great.

So for now I am happy with my 1055 yard shot and preparring for the next level. I will have to use my 50 BMG at 1500 yards until I build my 338 wildcat designed around the 300 gr MK.

Will keep you posted.

Again, any thoughts on extreme range rangefinders would be great.

Thanks for the advise!

Good SHooting!!!

I used to be a member of VHA before they went away. Everything I googled just now is almost 10 years old. How can I get in touch and rejoin? Member of the 1K club a couple times over.

I'm gonna be honest here…
Normally when a zombie thread gets brought back to life, I'll poke a little fun of it…
But knowing the OP I'd still on this forum after 20 years plus, and still providing useful, everyday info is great. A thread we can all learn from over the course of 20 years…awesome!!
Thank you!!

(Now I wish I could say the same about all these useless Troll/Bot threads…)