Stupid ?

MR, How often do you clean your barrels? Custom and factory...
Don't have a custom yet - expecting one in a few months... My 300 RUM and 25-06 Senderos are good for abut 60-70 rounds before accuracy starts falling off.

I broke those in using Microlon Gun Juice, so it was a lot different process and these are the only rifles I have really used in the last couple of years. Here's a link to a report of that process that I posted here...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/microlon-gun-juice-report-51469/

Another Rifle I broke in was a Sako 300 WSM and after the 13th shot, fouling dropped off to almost nothing using Butche's Bore Shine. That being said when cleaned with BTE there is more evidence of fouling. That rifle has serious accuracy problems and has been collecting dust for a couple of years now, so no round count between required cleanings for it.

I've not noticed any improvement in accuracy with barrel break in but the velocity decreases( 25 -50 fps) and stablizes after break in is done. I shoot 10 shots cleaning between each and then 5 sets of 2 and then 5 sets of three. I think it is more important in factory barrels than in lapped customs, they can settle in after as few as the first 5 or 6 shots. Cleaning frequency depends on the gun. Some start to spread out in as little as 15 shots and some can go 40 or50 . You just have to know youy gun. Same as first clean bore shots . some guns will be off 2 inches at 100 yards and some stay right in there, Some are off for one shot and some take 2 or 3 . It seems they usually are off the same amount and in the same direction each time you clean so you can compensate for that first shot.

I'm with 1984 NITRO. Tubb bullets are great, especially with .30 cal -SS barrels.
If you have every seen an exploded hammerforged barrel, Tubb bullets can only improve them. Sure can't hurt hurt'm . lightbulb

Jeff, I have been using Bore Tech Eliminator, but I did get a bottle of the CU+2. Your results sound great, so I'll give it a try with my next barrel. What are you doing about powder fouling? Also, I have yet to break-in a custom barrel. That will be next.

Eliminator works on both copper and carbon fouling. Bore Tech's C4 Carbon Remover works on just carbon. All three have a rust preventative in them.

Eliminator works on both copper and carbon fouling. Bore Tech's C4 Carbon Remover works on just carbon. All three have a rust preventative in them.

Yes, I know and thanks. I was just wondering what Jeff was doing for carbon fouling since he didn't mention C4. I've read in a few places that leaving some carbon fouling in the bore is a good thing.

Yes, I know and thanks. I was just wondering what Jeff was doing for carbon fouling since he didn't mention C4. I've read in a few places that leaving some carbon fouling in the bore is a good thing.

I've heard the same thing. I know some guys that clean then shoot one or two "fouling shots". To my knowledge, carbon attracks moisture... I stow my guns clean. I have seen some guns shoot better with the fouling.

Jeff, I have been using Bore Tech Eliminator, but I did get a bottle of the CU+2. Your results sound great, so I'll give it a try with my next barrel. What are you doing about powder fouling? Also, I have yet to break-in a custom barrel. That will be next.

Sorry I was slow to reply here.

I use to use " Slip 2000" first for carbon then BoreTech Eliminator to get the copper. But with a little testing I found that the BTE (BoreTech Eliminator) was all I needed as it gets the carbon too. Keep in mind I clean alot and don't get huge build ups. My preference to clean my bores often was the reason I was so interested in testing first round accuracy from a cold , "just cleaned" bore. This led me to try CU+2 as it is recommended for storage too and now is taking the place of the old oiled patch method. CU+2 does not get carbon so I sually use BTE along with it. As soon as I run out of BTE, I will be getting some C4. As sold as I am on all BoreTech products I hope to make the C4 and CU+2 the only cleaners I use.

Jeff gun)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.