Stupid Idea?

demo9pro

Well, I got a .300wsm and im wanting to put a Leupold VX-III in 6.5-20x50 with a Varmint hunter reticle.

Is this a stupid idea? I have been told it is, but I will be going after Pigs/goats at long ranges. upto 600yards when I get the skill.

Am I better off with a lower magnification?

Thanks, Im open to ideas from the more experienced.

I think it would be a good idea if the ballistics match up to the reticle. You might be better off getting a scope with a milldot. Maybe Leupold's new Mark 2 scope would fit the bill, but I haven't heard of anyone trying of these scopes yet.

i use a 3.5X15X50 Nightforce NSX on my 300 win mag. This plenty of power for an all round hunting rifle and I shoot this rifle out to 1K and have taken gamme as far as 777 Yards. I would not go with a "Varmint reticle" I would and did go with "Turrets". If you insist on a reticle with a hold over reticle a "Mill Dot" of a "MOA" would be prefered

Last edited:
Custome shop

I would look at that scope with either the TMR or just fine duplex and have the custom shop install M1 knbos.

I think you are better serverd learing how to dial for yardage than hold over.

I had a Vx111 6.-20-40 with M1 knobs installed. If I could of affored it I would of wnet with a MK4 or a Nightforce.

By the way--you pay about as much to have m1 knobs installed as you do the premium for the Varmit retical

On six power and a piggy runs out at 30 yds especially @ dawn/dusk you may have a hard time finding him. But with 3 or 3.5 such as the NXS or SnB he will be right where you point. You can allways turn up the power. I like a low end magnification for location, saves time and confusion.
If you can say all your shots will be 100 plus then 6 is gtg.

The scope you have choosen is fantastic. However I would suggest you get it with a regular duplex or a fine duplex recticle. The Vh retcle just has too much junk in the way to see the crosshairs.

Mike Alford

i have a 6-20 Lupy on my long range gun and it's great. however, if i was getting a scope to shoot from 0-600, i would want something with a little less magnification on the lower end. Bushnell has that new 6500 series that would be the cats ear lobe for what you're doing. i think they make a 2.5-14.5 scope. i don't remember having any problems putting the crosshair on a groundhog at over 1k with the scope set on 16x, i wouldn't think shooting big game at 600 would be any problem with a 14 power.

I like the varmint hunter reticule, I have a buddy who just put that exact scope on a 204, and I have the same one with a fine duplex on my 243. If I got a custom reticule put in, it would be a leupold target dot with hash marks for windage, I perfer to dial for my elevation but being able to hold for wind would be nice

I would look into a scope with a little less at the low end. Close range will not be that good at 6 power.

IOR has the 3-18 power scope. It gets you close range and far range all in one package. Remember 10 power at 1000 yards looks the same as naked eye at 100 yards. so even a 4-14 power scope is going to be more than enough at 600 yards. It will actually look like it was standing less than 50 yards away with your naked eye on 14 power.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.