Stripping down a perfectly good rifle??

I was kicking around the same idea. I then realized that I would be throwing away everything but the action and starting over. So decided to keep that rifle as is and build a new one. That way can can have 2 rifles for about the same price. Also it will cure my tinkering itch.

Trying to figure out if I am right in the head for thinking about taking apart a perfectly good shooting rifle just because I like to tinker?

I have a sendero sfii in 300 wm that shoots great but I am hoping to lighten it up a couple pounds am thinking about taking it apart and having the action trued and doing a remage setup with it.

Am I crazy for wanting to do such thing? I know in the end it is my money and gun but want to see if you all had a better idea.

I have thought about selling it and buying a bighorn action to play with instead but I do feel like I might already be ahead of the game having a remington I can take apart.....
why fix it if it ain't broke

I am the opposite of many. I could careless if a rifle is a shooter or not if creating something else. If I have a shooter and don't shoot it, there is no value.

So yeah, I'd pull it apart and build what you want. I am not afraid of barrel nuts either. Have built remages and they shot excellent.

Now, you did mention a bighorn......if you have this choice, i'd do it. I have one and will do shoulder prefits for it or use savage. I have a savage prefit proof on it now but a shoulder prefit would be easier and quicker swaps.
IMG_9655.jpg

I believe that you can buy Remington actions from Brownell's as well but to lighten the weight of your rifle means removing metal from the barrel and bolt including a carbon fiber barrel and stock. You want to have it blue printed for accuracy. Then a lightweight scope and a Jewel or Timney trigger. Not too much you can do to lighten your Sendero other than purchase a lighter stock and have the bolt turned to remove some metal.
I agree with the others who have suggested that you sell it and build a custom replacement.

I am the opposite of many. I could careless if a rifle is a shooter or not if creating something else. If I have a shooter and don't shoot it, there is no value.

So yeah, I'd pull it apart and build what you want. I am not afraid of barrel nuts either. Have built remages and they shot excellent.

Now, you did mention a bighorn......if you have this choice, i'd do it. I have one and will do shoulder prefits for it or use savage. I have a savage prefit proof on it now but a shoulder prefit would be easier and quicker swaps.
View attachment 169729
Why would big horn put the bolt on the wrong side!? Sick, I tell you

this is just my opinion, sell the rifle, start with a GunWerks, ARC, Defiance, Surgeon receiver. if you have to have the "remage" then go for it, I would rather have a Satern R5, Lilja 3 groove (small bores), Douglas, Shilen, McGowen, Bartlein R5, or Krieger. I would have it counter rotational fluted for strength and rigidity. I like Chet Brown's stocks and some HS Precision.. but McMillan has come out with some nice stocks in recent months. after that its all ergonomics, optics, and colors.

Ok that's enough talk ...let's Strip that baby down and get rolling !!

I dont know anybody on here that dont like a New Build !
Post all your ideas and parts please you may find something that we havent seen yet !
Good luck on your decision !!

Rum Man

I stripped down a great shooting 7mm Rem Mag ALD that was very basic but would print rounds into small groups. Went with a Criterion barrel nut and it shoots even better. No regrets at all. I will admit, there's not much heartbreak when the new barrel cost as much as I bought the gun for at a Walmart clearance deal. I'd say go for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.