LAW M704 Stripped Action... Any good?

Just need to order a fast twist 6.5mm barrel in a #3 contour, snag one of Bansner's ready to ship Sheep Hunter stocks, a Trigger Tech, some bottom metal and send off to my smith 🙌

I had on the Jack Lyons actions which was the base of the law rifle action. It was a dud. Jack never helped out much to make it right. My smith, who was a good one. Gave me credit for it and ordered me a replacement from reputable manufacturer. I believe he put a lot of work into the original action to get the extraction and timing correct. He used it on a build that was raffled off for a good cause. I know APR was using a version of this action for a while as well, don't know if they still do, but that action had some upgrades to aprs specs.

I had on the Jack Lyons actions which was the base of the law rifle action. It was a dud. Jack never helped out much to make it right. My smith, who was a good one. Gave me credit for it and ordered me a replacement from reputable manufacturer. I believe he put a lot of work into the original action to get the extraction and timing correct. He used it on a build that was raffled off for a good cause. I know APR was using a version of this action for a while as well, don't know if they still do, but that action had some upgrades to aprs specs.
Hmm… good to know and gives me pause 🤔

I bought a short and a long action and had identical customs made. A 6cm and a 7 blaser improved. Works for me.

I am a winchester fan so I like the 3 position wing safety primarily. They shoot great. I dont think they will win the smoothest action award, but that doesn't bother me at all.

I am a winchester fan so I like the 3 position wing safety primarily. They shoot great. I dont think they will win the smoothest action award, but that doesn't bother me at all.
I also dig that wing safety and the CRF action. 👍
When you say "win the smoothest action award"…
Are they rough?
Do they bind?
Or they just don't compare to something like Defiance or Kelbly produce?

I think you're trying to buy an action that has no support of its not perfect. As for 3- position safeties, i don't care for them, winchester, Ruger et al, they're often gritty, noisy, slow and awkward to manipulate. Unless you have a REAL safety like an Enfield , stick with a thumb activated model. If you like innovative actions look at the Mausingfield or Archimedes; both are excellent
Just my 2 cents

To further confuse matters you could always have a 3pos installed on Remington bolt as an option;

I built a 6.5x284 off the platform. Picked up an action, bottom metal and trigger combo for 805.00$ Helluva deal, I'd have bought 5 more if I'd have known the prices were going to go up. Love the action and the m70 style Saftey as well as simplicity of field stripping the bolt. You will have to modify the stock slightly, at least if it's a grayboe terrain. Krieger # 5 heavy sporter I think? .700 at muzzle finished at 26" plus two pork tank break. All metal work done by long range inc. I love the rifle and still am trying to see what reloads it likes. I've tried about 30 different load combo's and it shoots all of them decently but haven't found that speed/accuracy load I want yet. Berger's and 4831 sc shoot lights out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I built a 6.5x284 off the platform. Picked up an action, bottom metal and trigger combo for 805.00$ Helluva deal, I'd have bought 5 more if I'd have known the prices were going to go up. Love the action and the m70 style Saftey as well as simplicity of field stripping the bolt. You will have to modify the stock slightly, at least if it's a grayboe terrain. Krieger # 5 heavy sporter I think? .700 at muzzle finished at 26" plus two pork tank break. All metal work done by long range inc. I love the rifle and still am trying to see what reloads it likes. I've tried about 30 different load combo's and it shoots all of them decently but haven't found that speed/accuracy load I want yet. Berger's and 4831 sc shoot lights out.
I ended up going with a Defiance anTi instead, but love what you did with yours. Sounds like a sweet rifle 👌